Engine management warning light

Cooperman

Whilst in Spain the above light came on, went to Fiat garage computer says particulate filter blocked. They hammered it on the computer cleared but light will not go out and revs on startup low. Have met several with same or similar problem, any ideas?

Good luck but i had the identical problem in Dunkerque a couple of years ago though on Ford Transit. Fuel pump is computer controlled and the electronics had gone kaput. As Epic Lucas pumps are no longer made the van had to be transported back to UK.

Since had a Bosch mechanical pump fitted which is far superior and got shut of the batty 'fly by wire' electronics. The conversion wasn't cheap.....but well worth it!

hi coops long time no see. sorry i cant help but if you dont get an answer from this brilliant knowledgeable site, i suggest you try FIAT forum their are a couple of brill guys on their. hope i dont get my knuckle rapped by admin just trying to help old friend from TALBOTOC days

It may not be the exact same symptoms, but changed Idle speed and Warning lights coming on have been caused by Engine/Gearbox Earth Strap failure.

The strap corrodes internally, not like the issues we had in the 'old days' with corrosion between the Strap and Gearbox or chassis, but corrosion and breakdown where the Steel eyelet is crimped over the Copper Braid/Cable.

Because of this design 'feature', the cables have a finite life if they get wet, especially with road salt spray.

The erratic rising/falling voltage fed to the ECU can cause false readings and sensor errors. Sometimes the voltage is reduced so there isn't quite enough power to keep the engine running at normal speed.

If the voltage drop is too much because of the poor Earth strap connection, the ECU may raise the engine idle speed in an attempt to boost Alternator output. It depends on exactly where the Earth strap failure is and which electrical items suffer the most.

These symptoms can be made worse if an additional load, like charging two leisure batteries, is put on the Alternator. Especially if the batteries are past their best.

To test if this is your issue, clamp a Black 'Jump Start cable' between the Engine and the Starter battery Earth terminal, or on an X250 or 2006 on vehicle, between the engine and a really clean, good Earth point.

The Jump start cable will hopefully become a good substitute Earth strap allowing stable voltages and a temporary improvement.

A good idea, according to some, is to replace Earth straps every so many years, before they give issues.

Alternatively fit a separate Earth cable out of the way of Road spray, higher up the engine.

Not saying this is your issue, but a good start point that doesn't cost much?

Cooperman - 2017-07-05 2:29 PM

Whilst in Spain the above light came on, went to Fiat garage computer says particulate filter blocked. They hammered it on the computer cleared but light will not go out and revs on startup low. Have met several with same or similar problem, any ideas?

Had a similar problem with my Toyota Rav here in Spain computor code said it was a fuel pump problem ...expensive to resolve ..so being frugal soul before having it repaire/replaced I searched the Rava forums and one guy had a similar code reading he was using normal fuel, decided to try premium stuff and hey presto the problem went ..well I use the very cheap fuel here in Spain so tried the normal priced fuel from the large chain garages Repsol BP etc and hey presto the light went out and has been out ever since that was 6mths ago ,worth a try .........Good Luck

Brian K

• 2 weeks later...
Update on above problem, failed engine management light replaced. Luckily had taken out extended warranty, last year had dashboard light cluster replaced! Bought this van because of problems with coachbuilts, now falling out of love with Fiat?? :-( Checked Fiat Commercial forum, very interesting, we are all doing it wrong should not be treating our motorhomes as our pride and joy. We must behave like white van men and give them a thrashing regularly to burn off soot deposits??

Heard of many dashboards being replaced. I brought a brand new van and the engine warning light came on just days after I picked it up. When to Morley's in Portsmouth and they replaced it next day. It appears that there was a massive faulty batch.

DD100 - 2017-07-20 9:48 AM

Heard of many dashboards being replaced. I brought a brand new van and the engine warning light came on just days after I picked it up. When to Morley's in Portsmouth and they replaced it next day. It appears that there was a massive faulty batch.

Not just a batch, has been a problem for years, Fiat seem uninterested in sorting the problem.

Widespread problems with instrument-cluster warning-lights of Boxer/Ducato/Relay X290 models (built mid-2014 onwards) are well recognised (example here)

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Fiat-Ducato-Cruise-Control-additional-warning-lights/46318/

and the fault has also been reported on some earlier X250 vehicles.

Provided that X290 vehicles have been under warranty when the fault showed up, Fiat and Peugeot have seemed happy enough to authorise no-cost replacement of the cluster. A modified cluster became available some while ago and (as far as I’m aware) vehicles that have received that cluster have not displayed the warning-light problem since.

Not sure what the attitude is of Fiat/Peugeot if an X290 vehicle is well out of warranty when the fault occurs, or whether any faulty X250 clusters have been replaced free of charge.

Cooperman - 2017-07-05 1:29 PM

Hello,

I was on holiday when this one came in so apologies for only just seeing it.

Firstly i have to say that if this is an early Euro5 built before 2014 there were a batch of DPF pressure sensors that were completely rubbish. They failed very early and most vehicles will have had the sensor and associated pipes replaced under warranty. If your vehicle is one of these and has not had the modified parts fitted; you may be able to get Fiat to do this for nothing if you get the dealer to check it and pursue this option for you.

If the vehicle is a 2014 onwards it will have the later Bosch sensor. These sensors are much more reliable but still suffer with a build up of moisture in the pipes. This moisture initially provides a false high pressure value and eventually the sensor will be ruined. In most cases, removing the rubber pipes and blowing them out with an air line (back towards the DPF) will solve the problem and the codes can be deleted and the vehicle will no longer be in 'limp mode'.

It is always possible that due to the low mileage and infrequent use that is typical of a motorhome; there could actually be an accumulation of soot in the DPF that is just not getting burned off through normal use. This is going to be a problem for you guys; i have no doubt.

Even with my very high mileage vehicles, there have been a couple that have caused me a great deal of trouble and i have resorted to some desperate measures on at least one of them. Although such things are not recommended, when chemical cleaning of the DPF has not worked (i have purchased a very expensive kit for this), i have removed a couple of DPF units and jet-washed them out without any issues!

There have been at least two vehicles that have had multiple injector replacements and have burned an outrageous amount of oil with the dealer's never finding a reason for this. My own investigations have led me to believe that some vehicles just don't carry out regenerations early enough to prevent excessive back pressure and will constantly need help with keeping on top of this. One of them has a DPF cleaning additive put in the fuel tank every month and has to have a forced regeneration every fortnight!

And then there are the other vans that are no trouble at all and are monitored all the time to check on the progress or deterioration but continue to function perfectly. This is all a bit too random for me and while i know that other manufacturers also have their issues.... I feel myself falling out of love with Fiat.

N

Fiat uses the same material on the PDF and management of them like all the others. Have a look at their supplier list. You can not blame fiat for that problem. important is however how they solve this problem in their dealer network. The same problem on the EGR and their inter coolers Their crankcase ventilation works fine.Their gear box manual will be paid back 80 percent if broken up to 5 years. Ecluding the extended paid warrantee. If you are in france you need camping for 10 days in that case paid by your travel insurance.

Archived