Putting Wifi into the van

Tall_Mike

Hi,

Seeking the advice of the experts here who have been most helpful almost invaluable on previous occasions, particularly around our Solar panel, and the use of our heating system and fridge, - Cheers,

I am considering putting Wifi into the van. - I am aware of 2 options, - either hooking on to existing wifi spots - or connecting in via 3 or 4 G which I think is my preference. - Do any of the options allow for both?

Usage.

Our use is predominately in the UK but quite often in a field somewhere off the beaten track, off hook,so considering 3 or 4 g access rather than trying to latch onto an existing Wifi network. We do have BT at home although I have EE on my phone, although I have never used the BT hotspots. I want it to be able to run from 12 v - Happy to use a small inverter to power the thing and charge laptops etc. Data usage isnt that high, not planning to stream films for example, emails, web pages etc, - although might use music streaming which would rack it up a bit.

We do have a good solar panel setup which is charging our batteries nicely - and we have surplus power, at the moment - aware of the shortcomings - for example the charge reading is looking at the incoming juice rather than the state of the battery.

I know I shall need an Ariel, a box and of course a data SIM, along with maybe a 300 watt inverter.

Looking at few options - for example something from: https://www.motorhomewifi.com/catalog/3g/, or some of the NetGear options, - would prefer not to drill holes if that can be avoided, on the principle that the fewer holes the van has in it the better.

What is the most effective solution to resolve this, want something that just works without hassle, - also cost effective within reason but cost isnt the prime driver in this. - Thanks in advance.

I'd considered putting a booster into the 'van, but decided that a MiFi might be a better option to try first.

If you're happy with considering a mobile signal rather than hotspots, then I'd strongly recommend one.

Such a device is very small and portable, and will work for many hours off its own internal battery before needing a (USB) recharge .

An unlocked 4G-capable device is now only going to cost about £45, and 12GB pre-loaded sims (which will last me a year, and thus don't make it cost-effective to buy a hotspot booster as well!) can be had for a touch over £20.

With a Three Sim that has allowed roaming at standard rates, we've used one all over Europe (and at home) in the last two years. Very few places haven't had a signal available.

It will support access via multiple devices at the same time, though we tend to use the smartphones or tablets to minimise data use; a laptop will use more by not using "mobile" versions of websites.

MiFi use will be even more attractive now, as more data bundles purchased in the UK will be valid throughout the EU.

It's probably cheaper to simply increase the data on your phone contract and then connect via the phone (this is what I do, it might have added an extra £5.00 some months when I've had to temprarily increase my allowance).

Most PC's can use your mobile phone's 3/4G. The setting on the phone is to turn 'mobile hotspot' on, then your phone should appear in the list of available wifi connections. You will need to enter the password that is shown on your phone.

A good idea to give your phone a recognisable name too.

We took a look at this and decided that the cost of the mini unit plus sim charge, was expensive compared with using an existing phone which could become a hotspot, we just upgraded our sims for greater data usage.

We have Apple phones, I expect androids do the same, which hotspot to iPads, kindles and most wifi devices that expect a Sid and password and security at the same time. I've more than one device connected at a time.

It seemed on forums, the speed of data download on Miri in actual terms was no quicker than using a phone as a hotspot.

One useful freeware program I found, runs on a laptop. If you have wifi connection that only allows one wifi user at a time, overcomes this limitation. The laptop becomes the sole connection to the wifi, but acts as a hot spot for other connections. I.e you log into the sole connection and become a hotspot of different name and password for other devices. Might not work for mum, dad and a couple of kids browsing on a rainy day !

The only problem we seem to encounter fairly frequently, is that mobile phone connection on caravan sites tends to be patchy, or non existent. Even with Mifi you cannot get over that problem, despite what the salesman tells you.

Rgds

We have been travelling in Europe for a couple of months now and use a MIFI HUAWEI E5573 that we bought in Australia, it's been great and we have 2 iPads and 2 phones using it with the 12GB three sim already mentioned. There is an option to connect an external antenna but for Europe we have not yet needed it, the unit last about 5 hours on its own battery but we leave it plugged in to permant 12v so always on. No real need to go with a proper netgear etc wifi router in a camper in my opinion as these mifi units do a great job of providing a camper hotspot!

Tall_Mike - 2017-07-08 2:43 PM

I have never used the BT hotspots..

Why on earth not?

I use them all the time with a £15 rocket antennae off ebay

I have a PVC (steel box with no windows) you might not even need an external antennae in a coachbuilt.

Biggest wi-fi network and its free to BT customers :-D

Robinhood - 2017-07-08 3:21 PM

I'd considered putting a booster into the 'van, but decided that a MiFi might be a better option to try first.

If you're happy with considering a mobile signal rather than hotspots, then I'd strongly recommend one.

Such a device is very small and portable, and will work for many hours off its own internal battery before needing a (USB) recharge .

An unlocked 4G-capable device is now only going to cost about £45, and 12GB pre-loaded sims (which will last me a year, and thus don't make it cost-effective to buy a hotspot booster as well!) can be had for a touch over £20.

With a Three Sim that has allowed roaming at standard rates, we've used one all over Europe (and at home) in the last two years. Very few places haven't had a signal available.

It will support access via multiple devices at the same time, though we tend to use the smartphones or tablets to minimise data use; a laptop will use more by not using "mobile" versions of websites.

MiFi use will be even more attractive now, as more data bundles purchased in the UK will be valid throughout the EU.

This pretty much exactly matches our approach, including using the 'three' pre-pay SIM. We also have a Netgear ariel, which we've only used occasionally in weak signal areas. It has a couple of window suction pads, so no need to drill any holes. Generally just put the little mi-fi unit on top of the dash for a good signal in our pvc.

We also have a wi-fi booster that can be hung onto the window and gives excellentl amplification - it has a simple usb plug to go straight in the laptop. It also weighs next to nothing and we take it everywhere the laptop goes, including hotel stays. It's good for picking up campsite wi-fi in the van when the site provision is just around reception, for example. We bought it for about £20 off Amazon, five years ago - still going strong.

But the mi-fi unit sounds the best route for you to begin with.

I use same as John52, a 15 quid Rocket antenna plugged into any usb socket and away you go. You can spend a small fortune on fancier wifi jobs but the bottom line is if the isp you are trying to latch on is crap....no amount of money will sort it. You may just as well park up at any Maccy D's and use their wifi.

I'm amazed at how many sites supposedly offering 80 - 100% wifi coverage barely manage more than a few yards away from Reception. Wifi has been around long enough now for a site owner to provide full coverage.....but seems many just cba.

Hi,

Firstly - thanks for the responses - appreciated.

Generally we do our camping at C&CC rally meets which don't have Wifi - and as said when we have rocked up to sites that advertise Wifi, - either it's "broken" or we cannot see it from our pitch. Seldom as advertised. I know there are "boosters" for this situation that you can get - although broken is broken. If you do get on - often the performance is awful.

Haven't used "fon" sites because I haven't had the need, I have a larger iPhone with a big screen which makes it easy, - either I can get it onto a Wifi - or, I have a 2Gb monthly data allowance which is more than sufficient for social emails, most important still the weather forecast, and checking a few Web sites - usually related to the area we are in. Very rarely do I need to pay an extra £6 to increase the data allowance by a bit.

On a recent European trip - I took out the "Abroad" EE data option, - It was a set price of £8 a day I believe, expensive, but at least I knew what I was getting, no nasty shocks, it covered all 5 countries we visited and largely worked.

When I was in Aus though - we played McDonalds hopping, - saw more Big Macs than I ever wish to see again, but was able to collect email regularly.

What's changed is that I now have an understanding boss, - until recently it was "be in the Office or else" - now "it's dont care where you" are as long as the work get's done, quite fancy the idea sitting in the van by the sea, looking at the view - meanwhile working away on the laptop, There are many carparks where overnighting is forbidden, but nothing about parking up for the day and then moving off somewhere for the night.

The volumes of data are quite small but I do need a reliable link. From the discussion I think MiFi seems the better option for my intended use although the possibility of tagging on to someone's Network is out there, and it's dead cheap.

Tall_Mike - 2017-07-09 1:11 PM

Hi,

Firstly - thanks for the responses - appreciated.

Generally we do our camping at C&CC rally meets which don't have Wifi - and as said when we have rocked up to sites that advertise Wifi, - either it's "broken" or we cannot see it from our pitch. Seldom as advertised. I know there are "boosters" for this situation that you can get - although broken is broken. If you do get on - often the performance is awful.

Few are in my experience and if an ACSI site, they should definitely not be marking it up as wifi. However there are exceptions and one i once stayed on in Romania, the site ground about the size of a football pitch, had FULL coverage throughout. The owner had simply bothered to get it well sorted but the majority aren't interested which to me is bad business. People walking around with phones/pads trying to get a connection is somewhat archaic......and laughable too when you consider the money some have splashed on them!

Tall_Mike - 2017-07-09 1:11 PM

The volumes of data are quite small but I do need a reliable link.

As posted above, I've had few places where the signal wouldn't support data to some extent.

On the continent, because of roaming, which generally will gravitate to an available network, the availability of a specific network isn't a great issue.

In the UK, however, it might be useful to carry more than one data SIM from different networks, increasing the chance of finding a decent signal.

One of the benefits of using a MiFi as a hot-spot, rather than your phone, then becomes apparent. Your phone is untouched by the change of SIM. (indeed you could hedge your bets and buy SIMs on different networks to your 'phone).

Of course, you can also buy a dual-sim phone, and try using that as a hotspot, with the potential of switching between the SIMs. I've got one, and switching the data providers isn't a task I find attractive).

Another factor which makes the MiFi attractive for me is that the 'phone is generally used Pay as You Go, it not being cost-effective for me to be on account. That combined with the preloaded long-expiry data SIM proves a cheap and effective way of keeping in touch when we need to, which isn't every month!

Archived