"Us Oldies"

PJay

i notice many posters quote Us Oldies, when posting on subjects.

What age do you consider this category starts at?

we are definitely "Oldies"

i consider this starts at 80 . or lets say pre www11 vintage.

Would be interesting maybe to have a poll of contributors ages?

I doubt if 10% are 80+

i have a 60 years old son, he would not consider himself old!

PJay

yoko8pups - 2017-07-10 11:23 AM

70 and a relative Newbie to motorhoming

Still a youngster then!

we did not start until 70, having decided we where too old for sailing, which requires some agility, and my knees gave up on me!! Our van is our boat on wheels!! We still gravitate to the coast in it.

PJay

Hi

I would agree 80 as the probable start age of feeling elderly.

I am late 60's and still compete in triathlons plus race sailing dinghies most weekends when we are home. Looking at the ages of those I compete against in these sports I reckon I have another 10 or 12 years of being competitive soooooo 80 feels right.

My wife and I figure that we will probably want to travel less miles by then and may switch to the dark side and buy caravan then so we have a vehicle for day use.

Peter

Hi, I turned 80 a couple of weeks back and I really don't know what 80 is supposed to feel like? I can pretty much do all the things I was doing when I was 50-60 so I guess I'm very lucky in life.

My wife was talking too a couple of close neighbours the other day and they commented that they'd seen me on top of the van polishing it ad that I must have retired early because it's some years since I'd worked. She said, they were gobsmacked when she told them I was 80 and one of them had put me at about 65.

Mind you, me and Duchess work pretty hard at it, we have a healthy breakfast and only eat fruit during the day (which we love anyhow). We never eat take aways or shop bought meals in the evenings just either salads, fish or chicken and treat ourselves to a nice steak on Saturdays. These are all the things we love so each day is a treat.

I also workout on the treadmill everyday including Sundays when we're home for up to an hour and she walks down to the shops everyday which is up to about three miles in total. When we're camping we always take the bikes and we both love walking.

Even when we're away in the van she cooks meals in her halogen oven each day but does prepare all the vegetables etc at home before we leave and stores them in the fridge.

So I guess, if you're lucky to stay healthy, then all the rest is in the mind.

I'm late 60's and consider myself 'old'.......let's be honest about this! Joints creak 'n ache where they never did before and arthritic problems (not helped by years of crawling around under cars) set in. I spent 15 years in foundry work before munitions and i've never had a "desk job" in my entire work life so i was more than ready for retirement at 60.

By comparison my older sister and her husband both worked past their retirement......but both had well paid office jobs sitting on their ass all day pushing a pen around or hitting a keyboard. Big difference!

Of all the other posters who have made a comment on this site so far NONE ... yes ... NONE have indicated any social interests on their profile. You are a very poor and sad lot.

Do I want to join you ... not likely !

Its not surprising they want to be categorised so they can join other like minded uninteresting souls.

Will (well past his log in number)

PJay - 2017-07-10 12:06 PM

Will86 - 2017-07-10 11:52 AM

I don;t fit any category. Sorry PJ.

REALLY Will?

I know you are one of us!!

which means Wills not one of them :D independent as ever, like many Motorhome and campervan owners so do tend to shy away from stereo typing. No offence PJay but we are all different which makes for an interesting and lively forum

keninpalamos - 2017-07-10 7:55 PM

PJay - 2017-07-10 12:06 PM

Will86 - 2017-07-10 11:52 AM

I don;t fit any category. Sorry PJ.

REALLY Will?

I know you are one of us!!

which means Wills not one of them :D independent as ever, like many Motorhome and campervan owners so do tend to shy away from stereo typing. No offence PJay but we are all different which makes for an interesting and lively forum

i don't take offence. i am past caring , I live for the day, to-morrow NEVER comes

i agree we are all different . i just find it strange that some people become "Oldies" before others!!

We realised a few years ago, when , one of our granddaughters rang us up, to ask what it was like to be evacuated in the war, as they where doing this subject in HISTORY.

Now when you become apart of a history lesson , that's when you know , you are old.

PJay

I have often wondered since joining what the average age of members is.

I have neighbors who have retired and when I ask them are you enjoying retirement one replied well there is only so much day time TV you can watch, another one OK! Me if I want to I can sit in front of TV 24/7 No interludes doesn't shut off at 10.30pm or what ever time it used to? I could play patience, make baskets. Or if it suited me I could carry on working. I notice someone does triathlon assume that is some sort of knitting :-D

I am 68 in years 18 to 25 in mind, have back packed Pennine way twice in last 5 years Southern Upland Way, Offas Dyke/Sappa Vietnam plus more. So to answer the question what age does "Oldies" start I guess it is when you want it to, or maybe forced upon certainly not at a certain age . I think I read somewhere. When you reach death bed regret what you have done not what you wanted to do. Regards walkabout football it is gratifying to know I haven't lost my touch. As I never was any good.

Going to bed now with cocoa

malc d - 2017-07-10 9:45 PM

No need to stop motorhoming until you run out of health, or money, or both.

;-)

Agree. Though I think it will be health. If we ran out of money, could sell the house and live in van.

Though the longer I live , the richer I will be !! My penson goes up more than inflation!!

(NO i was not a Civil Servant)

PJay

Bulletguy - 2017-07-11 12:12 PM

I'm reading this book whilst away;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Life-Keith-Richards/0753826615

The guy has always fascinated me as he confounds everything about being old....and certainly about staying alive! On the back cover he writes, "This is my life. Believe it or not i haven't forgotten any of it". (lol)

He's 74 in December. 8-)

So he's not really very old yet then.

;-)

malc d - 2017-07-11 3:46 PM

Bulletguy - 2017-07-11 12:12 PM

I'm reading this book whilst away;

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Life-Keith-Richards/0753826615

The guy has always fascinated me as he confounds everything about being old....and certainly about staying alive! On the back cover he writes, "This is my life. Believe it or not i haven't forgotten any of it". (lol)

He's 74 in December. 8-)

So he's not really very old yet then.

;-)

He looks older than a lot of 80 = man I know!!

Guess drink and drugs have taken there toll

, or becoming a father of twins !1

PJay

Archived