inverters

fesspark

boleroboy, uses an inverter he says to charge his elec bike batteries.I have an inverter to use my sky tv, and charge small items,it is a 220v 150w, 5v output, is that powerful enough to charge my bike batteries, they are 36v and chargers ,imput,100-240v,1.4 a max.

fesspark - 2017-07-11 10:25 AM

boleroboy, uses an inverter he says to charge his elec bike batteries.I have an inverter to use my sky tv, and charge small items,it is a 220v 150w, 5v output, is that powerful enough to charge my bike batteries, they are 36v and chargers ,imput,100-240v,1.4 a max.

Watts = Volts x Amps - so the answer is no.

Whilst it might say 1.5amp, in reality it is probably much lower.

Mine says similar for input, but when I read the output was (something like) 2amp at 36v I was suspicious, plugged it into my meter and sure enough it only draws 80w.

The question to ask, is it suitable for li-ion battery charger. I've read that a modified sine wave may not be suitable, yet my invertor says you can charge batteries with it, I've been waiting ages for the bike manufacturer to get back to me on that, must get on to them again

P.s. I believe the 1.4amp is at 100v which would be 140w.

colin - 2017-07-11 11:31 AM

I've read that a modified sine wave may not be suitable, yet my invertor says you can charge batteries with it,.

Seems to be hit and miss. I've had about 8 cheap modified sine wave inverters (3 expired, 5 still working). Most will charge most batteries, but some won't. You don't really know till you try. Incidentally I have a dreamland electric blanket that won't work when plugged straight into the modified sine wave inverter. But when you cut the cable beyond the blankets control unit/timer and connect the blanket element directly to the inverter it works :-D

How about inverters 100 percent sinus as required for computer? Do they drain off the house Batt? Mostly we are standiing on festivals whit no power back up. And my honda generator is nnot an option.. And the engine to run a 2000 Watts hair drying either. Maybe fuell cell units. Any suggestion for a decent power plant in the rear garage? it is sad that experience is a individual matter. I have it, You not. Germany was and still is the best to transfer this in school and work.

watt,amps volts = something, all gobblygouch to me ,should have stayed at school longer maybe I would understand all this instead of working and buidling 2 business,s and selling up and retiring to travel the world at 42, I don,t think

Archived