Citroen Relay Euro 6 "change oil" warning "Prematurely on"

HymerVan

My new Citroen Relay Euro 6 based campervan (delivered March 2017) has done 2400 "easy" miles. This morning the oil light came on flashing with a "Change engine Oil" warning in words. The vehicle is not due a service and the oil level is fine. There is no obvious reason why the oil would have been contaminated. My main immediate concern is that the van may go into limp mode.

Anyone come across this ? I can't contact a main dealer today for advice.

Hi,

We have just ticked over 19,000km in our Citroën Jumper (same as Relay in LHD) and still on the original oil without seeing this warning lamp. We have just had to add a litre of oil after the indicator dropped to 4 lamps and dip stick was between low and hi.

Possibly a faulty sensor but Looking at the manual it is possible that limp mode may activate so best to get the dealer to check it out when you can.

"Have the engine oil changes as soon as possible. After the second level of alert, engine performance will be limited. Your vehicle's programmed service schedule is not altered."

Also I had a bit of trouble finding out the correct oil to use for this Euro 6 engine as it was not stated in the manual. After doing further research I was able to determine that the Engine is known as type DW10FUD and the Oil must meet PSA spec B712312 which has been specifically formulated for this Engine.

Cheers

Wortho

My Citroen Relay has done 60,000 miles, done all the servicing myself without reprogramming the service reminder. I have had the 'Change Engine Oil' warning several times and ignored it without consequence. But mine is a Euro 4.

You are supposed to change oil every 2 years - could it be 2 years from the date of manufacture?

Incidentally a mate has never changed the oil in his Citroen C3 in the 13 years he has had it from new. Still runs great. But he's only done 10,000 miles.

• 2 weeks later...

Took vehicle to the base vehicle supplying main dealer who confirmed that all was well and re-set computer. It appears that "it was not correctly re-set at the PDI stage". No more detailed explanation forthcoming.

At the same time they carried out recall work relating to "check fixture of fuel pipes" Again no particularly detailed explanation. It seems that I was not informed about the recall because vehicles Reg No had been changed from original "as new" number contained in their records.

As far as I can see this was not an official recall as nothing appears on the VOSA database (unless any one knows different) ?

HymerVan - 2017-07-28 6:39 PM

re-set computer. It appears that "it was not correctly re-set at the PDI stage". No more detailed explanation forthcoming.

The supplying dealer can reset the mileage and service record to zero at PDI stage, provided it hasn't done over a certain number of miles (about 100 from memory) - this can only be done once.

I suppose its so new owners can feel they are the first to drive it - even though others will inevitably have driven it out the factory, around vehicle pounds/showrooms/workshops, on and off the ferry/transporter etc

Took vehicle to the base vehicle supplying main dealer who confirmed that all was well and re-set computer. It appears that "it was not correctly re-set at the PDI stage". No more detailed explanation forthcoming.

At the same time they carried out recall work relating to "check fixture of fuel pipes" Again no particularly detailed explanation. It seems that I was not informed about the recall because vehicles Reg No had been changed from original "as new" number contained in their records.

As far as I can see this was not an official recall as nothing appears on the VOSA database (unless any one knows different) ?

Given my Fifer is a similar vintage to yours, I have written to the Glasgow Citroen main dealers asking whether my Citroen Relay is subject to a recall - should have a reply on Monday.

John52 - 2017-07-29 9:01 AM

re-set computer. It appears that "it was not correctly re-set at the PDI stage". No more detailed explanation forthcoming.

The supplying dealer can reset the mileage and service record to zero at PDI stage, provided it hasn't done over a certain number of miles (about 100 from memory) - this can only be done once.

I suppose its so new owners can feel they are the first to drive it - even though others will inevitably have driven it out the factory, around vehicle pounds/showrooms/workshops, on and off the ferry/transporter etc

Interesting because on delivery my van had done just over 100 miles. Apparently in days gone by before electronic speedos left the factory with say 9900 miles for similar reasons.

HymerVan - 2017-07-29 7:22 PM

Interesting because on delivery my van had done just over 100 miles. Apparently in days gone by before electronic speedos left the factory with say 9900 miles for similar reasons.

Just looked it up :$ my memory let me down because its avctually 200km. From page 140 of the training manual (Fiat Ducato)

The total odometer can be reset once if the displayed mileage is less than 200 km. If it has not yet been reset, the displayed kilometres is preceded by a symbol similar to an H.

Resetting is done by pressing and holding down the setup + / - buttons on the control board.

(If you want a copy of the Training Manual send me a PM with your email address and I will reply with a free copy attached)

John52 - 2017-07-29 9:50 PM

HymerVan - 2017-07-29 7:22 PM

Just looked it up :$ my memory let me down because its avctually 200km. From page 140 of the training manual (Fiat Ducato)

The total odometer can be reset once if the displayed mileage is less than 200 km. If it has not yet been reset, the displayed kilometres is preceded by a symbol similar to an H.

Resetting is done by pressing and holding down the setup + / - buttons on the control board.

(If you want a copy of the Training Manual send me a PM with your email address and I will reply with a free copy attached)

Very interesting and thanks very much for the offer of the manual.

I fear that giving me a training manual might be akin to giving a loaded Kalashnikov to a toddler however :-D :-D

brom - 2017-07-29 11:07 AM

Given my Fifer is a similar vintage to yours, I have written to the Glasgow Citroen main dealers asking whether my Citroen Relay is subject to a recall - should have a reply on Monday.

Heard back from our Citroen main dealers this morning - no current recall affecting our Relay Euro 6 (build date probably about August 2016).

brom - 2017-07-31 12:14 PM

brom - 2017-07-29 11:07 AM

Heard back from our Citroen main dealers this morning - no current recall affecting our Relay Euro 6 (build date probably about August 2016).

How odd. Perhaps the build date for our van was significantly different from yours. My nephew who is a graduate design engineer with a prestigious manufacturer told me that their manufacturing processes are such that they can tie down defects to quite a small batch of vehicles.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wondering if anyone has carried out an interim oil change on the PSA Euro 6 engine as yet? I have now done 23000km and the computer says oil change due in 26000km which seems awfully high considering there appears to have been no oil change carried out since new and service book is blank.

I'm having trouble locating an oil filter as well and was hoping to order one online if possible, I'm back in the UK in a couple of weeks so will check with the Citroen dealer but appears to be no after market oil filters at this stage?

BTW fuel economy is improving now as the engine is run in and the 4000km trip in Sweden and Norway has averaged 8.0 litres per 100km so far or 35MPG.

Cheers

Mark

It's annoying but you have to ask the right questions!

If you ask if there are any recalls at most manufacturers sites they will say no but if you ask if there are any 'outstanding campaigns' on a specific vehicle; you may be surprised.

It is a very common trick for manufacturers to carry out minor modifications and software downloads for free if a vehicle is in for other work, warranty or service that you are paying for. These items are usually not important enough or safety related for them to go to the trouble/cost of issuing any notifications to owners. The most noteworthy of these was when Ford Mondeo TDCi cars reached 50,000 miles and had not been to a Ford dealer for service work, they suffered a distinct drop off in power. Without being plugged in to Ford diagnostics and a software 'patch' added; they would not recover. This is clearly an underhand way of doing things but it did the job of getting all of the cars back in at some point!

In any case; when a 'campaign' is identified, the dealer does whatever they have been told to do and gets paid a fixed price for doing so.

euroserv - 2017-08-21 1:36 PM

It's annoying but you have to ask the right questions!

If you ask if there are any recalls at most manufacturers sites they will say no but if you ask if there are any 'outstanding campaigns' on a specific vehicle; you may be surprised.

It is a very common trick for manufacturers to carry out minor modifications and software downloads for free if a vehicle is in for other work, warranty or service that you are paying for. These items are usually not important enough or safety related for them to go to the trouble/cost of issuing any notifications to owners. The most noteworthy of these was when Ford Mondeo TDCi cars reached 50,000 miles and had not been to a Ford dealer for service work, they suffered a distinct drop off in power. Without being plugged in to Ford diagnostics and a software 'patch' added; they would not recover. This is clearly an underhand way of doing things but it did the job of getting all of the cars back in at some point!

In any case; when a 'campaign' is identified, the dealer does whatever they have been told to do and gets paid a fixed price for doing so.

That's a good wheeze, I thought!

So I contacted my friendly Citroen dealer in Glasgow, who supplied our Fifer, and asked whether there were any lesser 'campaigns' afoot which might affect my van, but wouldn't justify a formal recall, and so would be left in abeyance until I turned up for a service.

He explained that:

'Lesser internal service bulletins were only accessed if and when a customer's vehicle has a fault. The process is to check any faults when the vehicle is actually on site, as 'service issues' can be attributable to a great number of factors, so it needs to be assessed on a case by case basis - unlike when a formal recall campaign is under way'.

He said he had checked the current bulletins, and confirmed there was nothing, greater or lesser, which would affect my vehicle - and (touch wood!), there are no signs of a problem at present.

Brom

Interesting to hear your confirmation that the supplying dealer has again advised that there is no outstanding "recall/campaign" for your vehicle.

The service receptionist advised me when the vehicle was presented for the oil light issue (which was fixed under warranty without charge) that there was an outstanding issue regarding "fixture of pipes". I cannot recall clearly if the word recall,upgrade, campaign, etc was used. I have always found it amusing that manufacturers classify work to make an unsafe vehicle "safe" as an upgrade in the same way as house builders used to call an increase in price "an enhancement" (well for them it was) . When I asked exactly what the problem was I got a somewhat vague answer which was something like "the security of diesel pipes under the bonnet" needs to be checked. A different service adviser checked the vehicle out and confirmed that the additional work had been done but was quite unable or unwilling to elaborate. The is nothing noted in the paper service record.

I have noted and respected your view not to name the dealer in question but it would appear that they are in effect Peugeot/Citroen themselves as opposed to a franchised dealer. Under absolutely no circumstances will I deal with the other omnipresent Scottish dealer for Citroen (a recently deceased knight) due to bad experiences in 2012 well documented here.

With modern production techniques involving parts from outside suppliers being delivered to the assembly line "just in time" and often already allocated to a specific individual vehicle, it is possible for the vehicle manufacturer to determine the range of vehicles to which a faulty part has been fitted or for which an assembly issue relates pretty accurately. You can't therefore extrapolate that because one Euro 6 Relay has an issue that it applies to all similar vehicles. It could apply only to a handful, or several thousand, but Citroen will know the likely range and target any recall or service campaign accordingly.

Deneb - 2017-08-22 4:07 PM

With modern production techniques involving parts from outside suppliers being delivered to the assembly line "just in time" and often already allocated to a specific individual vehicle, it is possible for the vehicle manufacturer to determine the range of vehicles to which a faulty part has been fitted or for which an assembly issue relates pretty accurately. You can't therefore extrapolate that because one Euro 6 Relay has an issue that it applies to all similar vehicles. It could apply only to a handful, or several thousand, but Citroen will know the likely range and target any recall or service campaign accordingly.

Yes I understand this point and touched on it earlier in the thread . I have a nephew who is a design engineer with a prestigious English (German) manufacturer and he stressed to me how components are scrutinised to allow traceability where faults occur. .

Archived