Auto Trail Apache 634 and the rain!

dmcvit

Guest pelmetman
Brian Kirby - 2018-04-15 6:52 PM

dmcvit - 2018-04-15 6:32 PM................... Why are mhome roofs flat(ish)?

Because it is cheap and simple to make them that way.

My 1990's not flat ;-) .........

Just sayin :D ........

You must be lucky enough to own the very rare Travelhome “Mallard” model.

This could be specially ordered from Autohomes’s Poole factory with a concave roof that would provide a small lake offering a temporary respite for migrating water fowl.

I’ve attached a photo from an ancient Autohomes brochure that advertised the “Mallard”.

188572315_Travelhomeroof.jpg.3ebadce500e6190f554d277a94263a9c.jpg

Derek Uzzell - 2018-04-16 9:28 AM

You must be lucky enough to own the very rare Travelhome “Mallard” model.

This could be specially ordered from Autohomes’s Poole factory with a concave roof that would provide a small lake offering a temporary respite for migrating water fowl.

I’ve attached a photo from an ancient Autohomes brochure that advertised the “Mallard”.

:-D !

• 4 months later...

We have the same problem on our Auto Trail Apache. Purchased new this year in May. Problem arose in August...when good weather eventually broke..the equivalent of a bucket of water poured over the habitation door and as the door had been opened, the inside step and door were also soaked before we had a chance to close. The water continued to pool and shower the door when we went in our out.

We are also experiencing lots of niggling problems as well as seat fabric stretching, plastic panel behind cooker melting.

At the moment it is back with dealer.

Also on return from last outing the engine went in to limp mode...only done 1000 miles.

This is our first motorhome and we are far from being impressed with Auto Trail and their build quality.

The dealer has been great, but this shouldn’t be happening.

Welcome to the Out&AboutLive forums, Ivor.

This forum thread began in July 2017 and “dmcvit” (who initiated the discussion) has not commented (or logged into this forum) since April 2018. So it’s not known if his Auto-Trail’s rain-water problem was effectively resolved. Hopefully, if Auto-Trail now recognise the problem and have a ‘fix’ for it, that fix can be applied when your Apache is with the dealer for the other faults you mention to be remedied.

The limp-mode incident should be investigated by a Fiat agent, but the other faults must be laid at Auto-Trail’s door.

It has to be said that motorhome designers do strange things. My Rapido has its sole 230V socket, a 12V socket and its heater controls positioned alongside and above the gas-hob. I can understand the rationale - it’s easy to run the cabling - but it’s hard to think of a worse place to put them and impracticable to relocate them. So far they have not melted...

Motorhome has been with the dealer for just over a week now. At moment exploring engine problem, not heard back from them as yet.

I know that all the problems we have identified will be sorted out and any others that might arise when we eventually manage to venture out again.

But having spent a substantial sum of money on the Apache I certainly didn’t expected this sort of build quality or rather lack of build quality with the Auto Trail range

• 9 months later...
Re water pouring from roof over habitation door when exiting Apache 634 -have just discovered our 634 built in December 2018 has same problem after heavy shower on Friday night. Awaiting response from Auto Trail. On another topic when we are on EHU our water heats up despite Sargent PSU "Heating & Hot Water" yellow switch being in off position (remote hot water switch under rear seating is on). I presume this should not be happening? I did phone Auto Trail about this a few weeks ago but no one got back to me.

Highlander - 2019-06-23 4:31 PM

Re water pouring from roof over habitation door when exiting Apache 634 -have just discovered our 634 built in December 2018 has same problem after heavy shower on Friday night. Awaiting response from Auto Trail. On another topic when we are on EHU our water heats up despite Sargent PSU "Heating & Hot Water" yellow switch being in off position (remote hot water switch under rear seating is on). I presume this should not be happening? I did phone Auto Trail about this a few weeks ago but no one got back to me.

Are you sure the gas switch is not on?

Had the following reply from Auto Trail -

"The way the vehicles are constructed the water has to come off the roof on the sides and rear. You can affect this to divert it away from the door by either chocking the vehicle on a slight angle backwards or adding a small self-adhesive gasket to the roof above the habitation door. This is not covered by the vehicle warranty."

So not ideal if you like your van to be level. If fitting the adhesive gasket and attaching an awning to the canopy I'd imagine the water would be diverted to land elsewhere inside the awning.

Archived