Value of our motorhomes.

Wensco

Hello all,

I'm quite new to this forum and to motorhoming, I'm collecting a motorhome in September and can't wait for the adventures it will bring. But after the Governments announcement on Wednesday regarding Diesel engines and the removal of them eventually, it worried me that I could be spending my hard earned cash on something which could plummet in value in the coming years.

Am I being paranoid or does anyone else feel like this?

i like you are collecting my next motorhome in sept and also thought about this . my view is only cars have been mentioned and i have no idea what the government will do next (do they know ) so i decided to go with it anyway i am 68 now so i have maybe 10 more years at motorhoming maybe more i will get enjoyment from my motorhome so why not . Motorhoming is not cheap but its worth the freedom to me pagey

All the more reason to use it as much as you can and I wouldn't concern yourself with the present "rush" for so called cleaner fuels as all energy produces waste and pollution of some kind from the air that we breath, what we can hear, to the sights that we see and what we can not see. The answer to our pollution of the world is to reduce population of our planet. Any volunteers? ;-)

My view is I've brought something to use, I've budgeted so that any value when I come to sell it is a bonus.

Unlike cars there is no viable alternative to the ICE for heavier vehicles at the moment, or at least not that I've seen.

keninpalamos - 2017-07-28 7:56 AM

All the more reason to use it as much as you can and I wouldn't concern yourself with the present "rush" for so called cleaner fuels as all energy produces waste and pollution of some kind from the air that we breath, what we can hear, to the sights that we see and what we can not see. The answer to our pollution of the world is to reduce population of our planet. Any volunteers? ;-)

You're right Ken, there's just far too many people so by my reckoning if we somehow manage to avoid initiating WW3 in the next 20-years then at least the OP will have put his year's to good use.

We pick up our new van on Monday with no regrets. That being said I'm sure the Frenchies will soon ban all diesel motors from all of their big towns and cities so I reckon we'll see more and more restrictions being imposed on MH owners.

What a lot of nonsense this is, until someone re-invents the battery it is simply not practical. Even with cars they are having trouble selling them, to expensive, no range, terrible second hand values. I reckon some on this forum just look for stuff to worry about.

rupert123 - 2017-07-28 9:08 AM

What a lot of nonsense this is, until someone re-invents the battery it is simply not practical. Even with cars they are having trouble selling them, to expensive, no range, terrible second hand values. I reckon some on this forum just look for stuff to worry about.

It's funny that should say that Rupert as I was reading a thread on a very big forum the other day whereby a chap took a Mitsibishi Hybrid Outlander for a pre-purchase test drive around Scotland. He had it for 24-hours and drove a total of 160-miles in that time before returning it to the dealer.

According to the factory figures the vehicle was supposed to get 154mpg due to the Hybrid configuration but I'm sure it won't come as a shock to you when I say he only achieved 28. The vehicle was as much good as tits on a fish in the Highlands so IMO it just goes to show how overrated the current hybrid/leccy cars have become. I'm sure the tech will change and evolve but I reckon we'll achieve the '2040-target' in 2060 at this rate.

Wensco - 2017-07-28 7:13 AM

Hello all,

I'm quite new to this forum and to motorhoming, I'm collecting a motorhome in September and can't wait for the adventures it will bring. But after the Governments announcement on Wednesday regarding Diesel engines and the removal of them eventually, it worried me that I could be spending my hard earned cash on something which could plummet in value in the coming years.

Am I being paranoid or does anyone else feel like this?

P.S. Just go for it and enjoy life while you can B-)

Positive thoughts, Wenco? Live for the now. Don't worry about things you cannot control. The world might collapse around us but until then you'll be wandering around enjoying your motorhome and the company of others. Relaxed and stress free. It's a great life bringing you happiness and helping you cope with any health issues that may arise in the future. Oh, and when mankind finally replaces diesel, you'll be on your third or fourth motorhome.

There are plenty of reasons why your van will lose its value quicker than you think; diesel scare stories are someway down that list.

And note, 2040 is the target for the ban on the sale of new diesel cars, not a ban on diesel cars. There are still likely to be millions on the roads and unless there’s a dramatic change in battery technology petroleum or maybe hydrogen (fuel cell/electric) will most likely be the engine of choice for heavy long distance vehicles.

The ban is, I suspect, somewhat opportunistic and driven as much by car manufacturers who I think would prefer to move to electric (eg Volvo – now a Chinese company). Cheap to manufacturer, less skill required for servicing, batteries need changing at least every 10 years (££’s) and the key market is not somewhere as insignificant as the UK but China where there’s plenty of money/growth and an increasing drive to do something about pollution levels in their cities, some of which have populations approaching that of the whole of England. That's a big market.

So as a previous poster pointed out, not worth feeling worked up about and besides, it could all switch to a new strategy as technology advances.

I'm experimenting with Dilithium ( also known as Radan to some) which replaced lithium crystals which makes it easier to control the stability of motorway speeds and the warpcore-element antimatter when exposed to high temperatures and electromagnetic pressures. It controlled the amount of power generated in the reaction chamber, channeling the energy released by mutual annihilation into a stream of electro-plasma. So there you have it. Safer to stick with diesel really. :-(

keninpalamos - 2017-07-28 3:19 PM

I'm experimenting with Dilithium ( also known as Radan to some) which replaced lithium crystals which makes it easier to control the stability of motorway speeds and the warpcore-element antimatter when exposed to high temperatures and electromagnetic pressures. It controlled the amount of power generated in the reaction chamber, channeling the energy released by mutual annihilation into a stream of electro-plasma. So there you have it. Safer to stick with diesel really. :-(

Are you planning to distribute the power via plasma ducts? Perhaps then we could engage warp factor 6, and arrive at our destinations in virtually zero time?

Alan

Alanb - 2017-07-28 7:46 PM

keninpalamos - 2017-07-28 3:19 PM

Are you planning to distribute the power via plasma ducts? Perhaps then we could engage warp factor 6, and arrive at our destinations in virtually zero time?

Alan

obviously we experimented with plasma ducts but at warp factor 6 they quacked.

Bop - 2017-07-28 9:20 AM

rupert123 - 2017-07-28 9:08 AM

It's funny that should say that Rupert as I was reading a thread on a very big forum the other day whereby a chap took a Mitsibishi Hybrid Outlander for a pre-purchase test drive around Scotland. He had it for 24-hours and drove a total of 160-miles in that time before returning it to the dealer.

According to the factory figures the vehicle was supposed to get 154mpg due to the Hybrid configuration but I'm sure it won't come as a shock to you when I say he only achieved 28. The vehicle was as much good as tits on a fish in the Highlands so IMO it just goes to show how overrated the current hybrid/leccy cars have become. I'm sure the tech will change and evolve but I reckon we'll achieve the '2040-target' in 2060 at this rate.

Must come to the defence of the Mitsubishi Outlander. I have owned one, purchased new, since December and am averaging 140mpg. I can only suggest that the person who 'test drove' lacked the real experience of using the vehicle to its potential, it does take some getting used to and is a very different experience to solely ICE vehicles, or had a dud vehicle loaned to him. I have topped up with petrol four times since December, putting in around £30 each time however I fast charge off a dedicated charge point, installed at home as part of the package, whenever I get home so it is always fully charged each use.

My use is both short and long runs and I tow both a horse box, weighing 1500kg loaded and also a sailing boat around 1000kg load with trailer. It pulls extremely well is smooth comfortable and goes like a rocket if you desire. especially 60mph to overtaking speeds.

I have several other vehicles, one of which is a Jaguar XK so I do have an understanding of powerful vehicles and the PHEV does not disappoint at all.

In all its a very good 4x4 vehicle

Bas

keninpalamos - 2017-07-29 11:01 AM
keninpalamos - 2017-07-28 3:19 PMI'm experimenting with Dilithium ( also known as Radan to some) which replaced lithium crystals which makes it easier to control the stability of motorway speeds and the warpcore-element antimatter when exposed to high temperatures and electromagnetic pressures. It controlled the amount of power generated in the reaction chamber, channeling the energy released by mutual annihilation into a stream of electro-plasma. So there you have it. Safer to stick with diesel really. :-(
Are you planning to distribute the power via plasma ducts? Perhaps then we could engage warp factor 6, and arrive at our destinations in virtually zero time?Alan

Sounds like you guys have got your tongue caught in your eye tooth and can not see what you are saying!
Cheers,

Geeco - 2017-08-01 6:24 AM
keninpalamos - 2017-07-29 11:01 AM
keninpalamos - 2017-07-28 3:19 PMI'm experimenting with Dilithium ( also known as Radan to some) which replaced lithium crystals which makes it easier to control the stability of motorway speeds and the warpcore-element antimatter when exposed to high temperatures and electromagnetic pressures. It controlled the amount of power generated in the reaction chamber, channeling the energy released by mutual annihilation into a stream of electro-plasma. So there you have it. Safer to stick with diesel really. :-(
Are you planning to distribute the power via plasma ducts? Perhaps then we could engage warp factor 6, and arrive at our destinations in virtually zero time?Alan

Sounds like you guys have got your tongue caught in your eye tooth and can not see what you are saying!
Cheers,
Think STAR TREK... 'the engines canna take any more captain, the Dilithium crystals are almost exhausted'

well, having just bought a new (diesel) motorhome, but also have a petrol car, I cant think either of these vehicles, nor I will be around in 2040 to worry about it!!

No doubt the whole thing will go round and round, and unless there';s some real magic solution, its quite likely it will not happen in that time anyway!

Maybe they will use Aviation fuel - I've not heard anything about stopping planes using it!!

Archived