After Belgium F1

paul2

Hi

I'm going to the Belgium F1 with my son after which I have 12 days before I need to be home. So any advice on thing to do/see, campsites /aires, cycle paths, river walks, chateaux, ruining, museums, towns ( not restaurants I don't do that on my own).

Thanks

Paul

It is one of the most famous tracks and a thrill to drive on. There are tricky bends which require very precise speed limits by the car computer. You wiil be spend a nice time there. The south of belgium ardennes forest is very small and has lots to offer for tourists.Or take a kajak whit your son on some small fast flowing river. And go whit your son to a restaurant where they can serve the original natural brown forel fish. taken out of the river by fly fishing which is an art of itselves.

Tracker - 2017-08-03 11:37 PMSome of the war cemetaries are very moving and thought provoking and, in my view, well worth a visit whilst you are there.Ypres and Tyne Cot maybe.Lest we forget.

Paul, very jealous of your visit to Spa especially if you are sitting on Eau Rouge one of the most exciting corners in F1. 
In addition to the suggestions made by Rich can I add the Museum aande IJzer near Diksmuide. It is around 20 klms from Ypres and I found it very interesting and different as it is located in a high rise tower.
Cheers,

Ypres is a must for me, there is also free overnight parking along the river, walking distance to the renin gate where they play the last post at 8.00 every night. Also call into the tourist office, there are several cycle path routes of varying distance which take in a lot of the memorials and graves of WW11, very interesting.
Also Brugge (think I spelt it wrong) is a lovely city to explore on foot.
Enjoy.

kevandali - 2017-08-09 9:34 AM

Ypres is a must for me, there is also free overnight parking along the river, walking distance to the renin gate where they play the last post at 8.00 every night. Also call into the tourist office, there are several cycle path routes of varying distance which take in a lot of the memorials and graves of WW11, very interesting.

Also Brugge (think I spelt it wrong) is a lovely city to explore on foot.
Enjoy.

We were at Ypres 3 weeks ago all parking along road near canal and leisure center had been stopped the police moved any motorhome that parked there and I understand this is because of waste being dumped and complaints from locals

We were at Ypres 3 weeks ago all parking along road near canal and leisure center had been stopped the police moved any motorhome that parked there and I understand this is because of waste being dumped and complaints from locals

Good to know, what a pity, was a lovely spot, another instance of a few spoiling it for the many, we were always very discrete and never blocked anyone's view or left any sign that we had been there.

We are currently touring Belgium at the moment. Have just arrived in Durbuy which is South West of Spa. It is the nicest town we have come across so far and there is a good campsite on the edge of town by the river - Le Vedeur. We are going to stay a couple of days as there are plenty of walks around. Next up will be a tour of the Ambleve area to the South of Spa following the river between Comblain au Pont and Coo as there are lots of walks apparently. The last part of our plan is a tour of the Haute Fagnes area which is to the East of Spa between Malmedy and Eupen. This is a remote boggy moorland area with marked boardwalks.

We started of in Namur which is worth a visit to see the citadel on top of the hill. River cruises also available. We then went south along the river Meuse between Namur and Dinant to the South which has plenty of walks around. Go into any tourist office and buy a walks map of the area. They are all very well marked and easy to follow. Dinant is worth a look, again for its fortress.

We also can also recommend the Han caves at Han Sur Lesse but it gets very busy. There is a good aire in town.

Next up was a tour along the Semois river between Membre and Florenville passing through Bouillon which has a really good fortress. This is further south again from Dinant.

We have generally not been very impressed with the campsites in Belgium. We picked up a campsites book in the tourist office - www.campingbelgique.be. Cost is usually about €20-25/ night for two. The aires are good if you are interested in these.

Archived