Gaslow Refillable Cylinders

Vernon B

I'm wondering if the recent gas price increases makes switching to the Gaslow system economically attractive. I'm preparing for the traditional 8 week migration to Spain and can usually get away with 1x13k and 1x6k propane cylinders, but am always worried that if we hit a really cold spell we may run short - the locker won't take 2x13's.

I've just found out that to replace the 13k cyclinder will now be £21 compared with £17 last year. Gaslow claim a 50% saving in prices when using their refillable cylinders and I guess that could be even more when refilling in Spain. The Gaslow website quotes £90 for a 11k refillable but a lot of add-ons are listed and it's not too clear what the total outlay will be, especially when considering fitting charges.

Does anyone have any experience of changing to this system:-

a) What is the total outlay for a fully functioning system for continental toouring including fitting costs?

b) Can you expect to make a saving say over a 2/3 year period?

c) Is refilling as easy and available in France/Spain as Gaslow suggest?

d) Would you recommend making the switch?

Many thanks

Vernon

Guest Frank Wilkinson
Vernon B - 2007-01-06 12:31 PM I'm wondering if the recent gas price increases makes switching to the Gaslow system economically attractive. I'm preparing for the traditional 8 week migration to Spain and can usually get away with 1x13k and 1x6k propane cylinders, but am always worried that if we hit a really cold spell we may run short - the locker won't take 2x13's. I've just found out that to replace the 13k cyclinder will now be £21 compared with £17 last year. Gaslow claim a 50% saving in prices when using their refillable cylinders and I guess that could be even more when refilling in Spain. The Gaslow website quotes £90 for a 11k refillable but a lot of add-ons are listed and it's not too clear what the total outlay will be, especially when considering fitting charges. Does anyone have any experience of changing to this system:- a) What is the total outlay for a fully functioning system for continental toouring including fitting costs? b) Can you expect to make a saving say over a 2/3 year period? c) Is refilling as easy and available in France/Spain as Gaslow suggest? d) Would you recommend making the switch? Many thanks Vernon

I'm having a Gaslow system fitted on Monday. Two 6kg cylinders, an auto switch-over and a filling point in the side of the 'van, next to the gas locker, is about £370.

I wasn't too worried about the finances of it but simply wanted the ability to be able to top up all over Europe without worrying about British cylinders, which you can't swop abroad, running out.

My system will tell me when one cylinder is empty and it will then draw gas from the second one. All I need to do is to have a look at the cylinders every couple of days and when one is empty I have lots of time to fill up at the first petrol station that serves auto-gas.

You can specify a guage, to be fitted inside your 'van, but I thought that was one extra complication to go wrong and not really necessary.

I can't really believe that anyone would fit Gaslow for economic reasons, unless of course you're a full-timer or lucky enough to be able to use your 'van six months of the year. You'd really have to use a lot of gas to recoup the costs, but for me, the convenience and not having to lug around cylinders is worth every penny.

Hi, i have just had two 6 kilo cylinders fitted with an auto changover valve and a remote filling point fitted through the gas locker door, (no room to fit the filling point anywhere else) total cost of around £400. first fill of gas for both cylinders was £10.00, the last cylinders i bought (calor propane) cost £13 per cylinder (refill only) the gas has just gone up at the pump from 45p a ltr to 49p (they are gas low) and despite a small problem to start with, gas low have been excelent.

pete

Just a small point here but gas for domestic purposes, i.e. not for road fuel use, carries a lower rate of tax. As I understand it most petrol stations that have autogas are not set up for this alternative tax rate but dedicated gas suppliers, Budget gas for example, are. It could be worth checking if you have one of these depots close to home and if so then topping up your cylinders before any excursion could well pay dividends in the long run.

D.

Be aware that it's difficult to impossible to refill gas cylinders in Spain. there has been some information on this forum in the past as to the few places where it's available, try a search but it still may be as convenient to get a local cylinder and adaptor if you go every year; just a thought.

Bill Ord

Hi

When having your Gaslow cylinders fitted ask for the hose, cylinder and regulator from your Calor Gas set up to be left with you. Then if you decide to change vans you can reinstall the old parts and fit your Gaslow system into the new van.

peejay - 2007-01-06 5:10 PM

Hi,

Arguably one of the best one stop references for lpg availability in Europe is the German >Gas-Tankstellen< website.

Although a German website, its also very usefull for availability in other European countries, including Spain.

pete

Pete's link doesn't seem to work try this one http://tinyurl.com/c23ny and select "Spain"

Also these sites http://tinyurl.com/3zftp and http://www.spainautogas.com/

Safe travelling.

Don

Hi

Ive had a gaslow set up for two years now and as for the economics of it, I have saved pounds, it worked out that it was a third the usual cost of refills so eventually the system will have cost nothing and the convience aspect well going back to lugging those bottles about no way.

Im fortunate to have the room for 2x11kg bottles 44ltrs no fancy switch overs just turn the second bottle on when the first has run out and refill before next trip.

Have you seen this url pretty handy for your local area

http://www.petrolprices.com/

France and Germany plenty of stations with gas

Pete

We also have two 11kg gaslow cylinders fitted. I didn't worry too much about the economic re-couping of the initial outlay - although I do expect to break even at some point since we will transfer the system to any new van we buy.

For convenience and availability it has been the best thing we did.

One word of warning though. On a previous thread the issue of locating the filler point in the gas locker door was discussed and it seems this can cause a problem with possible leaks due to the constant flexing of the pipes/joints as the door is opened and closed for turning on/off the gas.

My viedw would be, if you like the price go for it.

Regards, David

Vernon,

Refillable gas cylinders come into exactly the same category as solar panels: i.e., you'll never get your money back in savings. You're doing it for the convenience.

Only you can decide how much that convenience is worth.

===========

Thanks all, interesting comments. Glad to see that those who've switched are happy with the decision. Although I accept the convenience argument, me thinks gaslow will have to shave those prices a tad for it to be a must have option for yours truly.

Vernon

david lloyd - 2007-01-07 11:04 AM

We also have two 11kg gaslow cylinders fitted. I didn't worry too much about the economic re-couping of the initial outlay - although I do expect to break even at some point since we will transfer the system to any new van we buy.

For convenience and availability it has been the best thing we did.

One word of warning though. On a previous thread the issue of locating the filler point in the gas locker door was discussed and it seems this can cause a problem with possible leaks due to the constant flexing of the pipes/joints as the door is opened and closed for turning on/off the gas.

My viedw would be, if you like the price go for it.

Regards, David

hi david, this was taken into account when the desicition was made.

unfortunatly,there was nowhere else to put it, as according to gas low, the filler must remain inside the gas locker. (apprently it is illeagl to run the pipe outside of it, like into a bed box etc) so they tell me at gas low.

there wasn' room in the locker wall, so the door was the only option.

pete

Hi All,

Sorry to disagree with you MelE but ours have already paid for themselves in the two years use we have had them, does depend on whether you use the van in the winter and how much you like to use the heater I suppose, but unlike solar panels, in the Gaslows 15 year working life I think you will find anyone installing them will better than break even. They were not bought with that in mind, more convenience and to be sure of obtaining a realistic supply of gas abroad without resorting to extra cylinders and fluffing around with different regs, but it was plesant to find it so.

as according to gas low, the filler must remain inside the gas locker. (apprently it is illeagl to run the pipe outside of it, like into a bed box etc) so they tell me at gas low.

there wasn' room in the locker wall, so the door was the only option.

pete

This is the complete opposite to what have Gaslow told me as short a time ago as two weeks just before Christmas. I already knew that there is definately no legal requirement stopping the filling pipe being run outside of the gas locker, however there is a Caravan Council standard that says the locker must be sealed from the inside of the habitation area. The filling tube on ours does pass through the habitation area for about 9", that was unavoidable and a lot safer than fitting it into the door which has proved unsatisfactory on at least two occasions due to premature filling pipe failure, to my knowledge.

Bas

Fitted a Gaslow system last year not to save money but to save the inconvenience of lugging bottles in and out of the van. Also the difficulty of travelling Europe and getting refills.

Don't forget to get the two additional adpaters for continental travel as filling stations use different connectors

Guest Frank Wilkinson
Ralph - 2007-01-08 5:50 PM Can someone comment please on the oft repeated advice that UK garages won't allow you to refill cylinders? This is something that puts me off at present.

To be honest I've no personal experience of this (will have soon though!). However, I think that this misconception may come from people trying to fill a cylinder - by which I mean taking a loose cylinder and somehow filling it on the forecourt.

When I roll up with my 'van and its new Gaslow system it will have a filling point on the side of the 'van and as far as the petrol station is concerned I could be filling up my fuel tank with LPG.

From what I've been told you'll have no problem whatsoever with a proper installation.

This is a bit like the restrictions of mobile phone useage and CB radio useage on forecourts. As far as I'm aware there has never been a case of mobile phone or CB radio useage causing an explosion on a forecourt. The same applies to hospitals where they have restrictions on mobile phone useage with the argument that they could affect vital life support equipment. This is absolute bunkum! My father was in hospital after a heart op a few years ago and the consultant looking after him stood at the end of his bed yakking away on his mobile!

If and when I go down the Gaslow route it will be purely for convenience and i will fit the filler to a bracket inside the locker. I then intend to fit a removeable cap in the dorr in line with the filler point to allow easy access without excessive flewxing of the filler pipe.

D.

Hi Dave,

Hope you had a good Christmas andd New Year. I read with interest your comments about not seeing or hearing of explosions at petrol stations, due to phones etc..

Yesterday on TV Bravo 'Amazing Videos', CCTV saw a chap filling up cans of petrol in the boot of his car from the petrol pump. Apparently the explosion that occurred was caused by a static discharge between the car body and the pump nozzle.

It seems we will have to be careful when the mowing season starts!! It also occurred to me, I have had some bad shocks from the car bodywork in the summer when its been hot and dry, and have seen a spark jump between my finger and the car many times - no I don't wear silk knickers (lol)

Regards Terry

Hi Terry, yes thanks we had a lovely time (except for contracting man flu day before Christmas Eve) I hope you had a good one too. Yes static can cause explosions but I've still not heard of a single case of a mobile phone or CB radio causing an expolsion. Knee jerk reaction is what causes these stupid rules to crop up.

D.

Hi Ralph,

Have had ours for over two years now and have refilled it 7 or 8 (can't remember if I included the first fill!) times, which now means it has paid for itself. This has been at various filling stations in UK and Europe with absolutely no problems at all (in Europe once you have worked out how the adapters fit to make the connection Don Madge has since posted a good link with this information on which I have unfortunately mislaid!).

I personally did not want to put the filling point inside the gas locker, (although that would have been an easy option in our case) for the reasons you have asked the question, I did not want to get into a confrontational situation on the forcourt. I also did not want to put it in the door as I did not like the idea of the constant flexing which the type of hose used for the filling point was never designed to do (a forethought proved right judging by some posts).

As I understand it not being able to fill cylinders up on the forcourt stems from Calor Gas trying to stop the proliferation of refillable cylinders which as they cost less than 50% of the cost to refill was clearly going to hit what they regard as their market share and they wrote to all filling stations to scare them into not allowing refilling, however this was directly filling the cylinders. In the case of their own supplied fuel stations there was the threat of cutting off the supply if they did allow it (can't find the website that posted Calors threatning letter now for some reason). To some extent the scare story had some substance in that at that time cylinders were available for refilling that did not have an 80% cut off to stop the overfilling of the cylinder and therefore a potentially dangerous situation was possible.

I know of no regulation that says you can't fill a refillable gas cylinder but in any case the Gaslows and some other makes are filled from a remote filling point, just the same as an LPG powered car is, so there is no difference so if they were to impose a restriction on the Gaslows they would surely have to on cars as well I would have thought wouldn't you?

Bas

Archived