first trip abroad

petenbev

Hi

we're planning on using the tunnel to france and driving up to bruges and stopping at camping memling for one or two nights,we'll book the first night and are planning to 'play it by ear' after that,we'd like to meander up to gieethorn before heading back,its only a nine day trip and wondered if anyone had done similar and had any recommendations,warnings or must see's in the area,we're debating an Amsterdam stop as we've been before but not in the moho,we'll have our pushbikes but the dogs are staying at home ,TIA

Hi Peteanbev,

We have just come back after 10 days, we started at Brugge but stopped on the aire (just follow the signs for the railway station then the motorhome signs) there are two aires there now the smaller one of the two has more parking space between vans and is nearer the town (a reasonable walk for me with mobility problems) for two nights.

we then went to Gent, lovely old town and then to Vlissingen in holland, well worth a visit.

There is a toll along the way as you travel through a 6600 meter tunnel but only get charged 5 euro.

we came back and visited Knocke before traveling to Blankenburg then to Ostend and Dunkirk for two nights and finally a stop on the new Aire in Cailis.

Pete

Another vote for the Aire at Bruges. €25 a night but worth it for the convenience. The smaller of the two has wider spaces and the larger is quite tight.

Very easy walk to the town centre. The charge is for 24 hours so, if arrival is timed appropriately, you can stay until close to ferry time if sailing from Zeebrugge.

Hi Crocs,

We learnt that lesson the hard way, it used to be leave before 11am no matter what time you arrived so when we swopped from the main aire to what used to be the old carpark for more room we done so at 8am on Saturday morning, but never mind, we made it to Gent by 9am on Sunday :-D

Pete

Only advice I can give is take it easy first few days just make sure when you start off from like a coffee stop etc is to make sure the driver is close to the gutter. Its easy to revert back to driving on the left. We now are in Europe for 6 moths a year and driving on the right is now second nature but the first few times its not. Have fun and it will be great.

B-)

I would definitely add a trip to Ghent.
Wonderful city, like Bruges but better I thought.
City camp in Amsterdam looks worth a visit if you decide to go that far.
We went to Rotterdam last year stayed near the Kinderdik surprisingly pleasant city and the windmills fab.

I would stick with Camping Memling, still only a short walk to town or even better on your bikes. Unless you are into towns and uninspiring flat countryside I would push on a bit to somewhere like the river Meuse in Belgium, say from Dinant down to Charleville Mezieres in France. Nice villages some ok scenery and good bike rides.

rupert123 - 2017-08-08 1:42 PM]

Thats what I said, a short walk.

A mile was a short walk for us 18 months ago and now it would be half a day's excursion to do a mile each way, as well as the exploration whilst there, and even then only with a lot of stops and sit downs, so it might be better to specify a distance and let the reader judge whether it is long or short for them?

Tracker - 2017-08-08 1:56 PM

A mile was a short walk for us 18 months ago and now it would be half a day's excursion to do a mile each way, as well as the exploration whilst there, and even then only with a lot of stops and sit downs, so it might be better to specify a distance and let the reader judge whether it is long or short for them?

Hi Rich, nice to see you around again. You are probably correct but the original poster said they have already booked into the campsite and have bikes so why go on about rip off aires like the Bruges one. The campsite is very helpful and will give them a cycle route to the center.

rupert123 - 2017-08-08 3:13 PM

Tracker - 2017-08-08 1:56 PM

Hi Rich, nice to see you around again. You are probably correct but the original poster said they have already booked into the campsite and have bikes so why go on about rip off aires like the Bruges one. The campsite is very helpful and will give them a cycle route to the center.

I like Memling as well. The trade off is an extra €7 for Memling for a shower block versus the convenience of the Aire.

campsite and have bikes so why go on about rip off aires like the Bruges one. .

That's curious I didn't read that on Trackers post ? Can you identify it Rupert123 cos I can't see any ref to your comments anywhere ! Me thinks apologies should be reversed

Thanks everyone some great advice for us,we've only booked one night at memling so will try the aire for the second night or vice versa,Ghent looks lovely so we will put it on our itinerary,we're looking forward to it now and will take heed of the drive near the gutter warning.

rupert123 - 2017-08-08 1:42 PM

ron. - 2017-08-08 1:32 PM

It's a mile walk before you even reach the canal circling the interesting parts of Brugge from Camping Memling - from the Aire you are already alongside it.

To me a short walk is a four mile ramble in the Alps amid pleasant scenery. A long walk on the other hand is a one mile walk through outer city suburbs of little interest, unless I was turned on by business premises, supermarkets, etc, just to get from A to B. However, we are all different thank goodness.

Will86 - 2017-08-08 5:00 PM

campsite and have bikes so why go on about rip off aires like the Bruges one. .

That's curious I didn't read that on Trackers post ? Can you identify it Rupert123 cos I can't see any ref to your comments anywhere ! Me thinks apologies should be reversed

What are you on about. Suggest you go back and read posts from the start.

petenbev - 2017-08-08 5:26 PM

Thanks everyone some great advice for us,we've only booked one night at memling so will try the aire for the second night or vice versa,Ghent looks lovely so we will put it on our itinerary,we're looking forward to it now and will take heed of the drive near the gutter warning.

I suggest that you allow a good few days for Ghent. We went earlier this year, staying at a lovely site in Berlare, about 15 kilometres away, and spent almost the whole day in just one square! It also took ages to find a parking bay, and we have a blue badge.

Beautiful city, but you need lots of time to do it justice. We need to return.

Archived