fridge vent covers

petenbev

Hi, my question is why,

If you are on site somewhere and it chucks it down, would you rush to cover fridge vent?

Provided the vent is sealed properly to the van body, there should not be any problem, except perhaps if there was a howling gale blowing downpour horizontally toward the side with the vent.

I have had the situation where my van suffered damp penetration, traced eventually to the mastic sealing the vent had deteriorated and gone crumbly permitting water ingress down behind the fridge, then spreading along around the wheel arch.

I queried the dealer as to how did he do the damp check, and did he always check behind the fridge, gaining access via the vents..the answer was " No, we never remove any panels,. Not include and never had any problems before..". I politely reminded him that there was always a first time !!!

Tonyg3nwl

petenbev - 2017-08-08 9:17 AM

Forgive me if this is something I should know,but when the motorhome is parked on the drive should I be putting the fridge vent covers on to stop rain/damp ingress?

The use of the vent covers is related to the temperature - not rainfall.

Your fridge instructions may advise when you should use yours - but some people never use them.

Mine are fitted through winter when the van is mostly off road - then removed for the summer months.

;-)

When our van was not in use I always fitted the fridge vent covers on the basis that as I had them and fitting and removiing takes but seconds, at worst it can do no harm and at best it might help keep water and insects out.

Leave a reminder on the fridge so that you don't leave them on when the fridge is in use.

I seem to recall the handbook saying the covers should be fitted when the fridge is used in very low temperatures, but best refer to your own handbook for specifics.

My fridge manual says ...

..."When the outside temperature falls below +8°C, the winter cover should be fitted. This protects the unit from excessively cold air which could have adverse effects on the performance of the unit. You should also attach the winter cover if the vehicle is taken out of service for a longer period of time or while it is being cleaned from the outside".

I don't bother when washing the van because I never point the hose, which I use on a gentle spray setting, at the vents. I do use the vents over late autumn/winter and early spring and I would if the van stayed still for more than a couple of months.

We would side with how Tracker uses them.

In Winter winds can drive Water into places you don't want it.

Snow also has a habit of swirling upwards and sideways.

We would suggest the protection of the outer covers is particularly important if the inner 'mesh'/fly screens has been removed to improve airflow?

I was just thinking about when it's parked up for 3weeks or so and it's rained for around 2 of them,I'm not being dramatic and running round wielding vent covers at the first drop of rain,On the handover the salesman said about using it cold temperatures,I'll just pop them on when we're not using it I think,good shout about the reminder on the fridge thanks

aandncaravan - 2017-08-08 11:55 AM

We would side with how Tracker uses them.

In Winter winds can drive Water into places you don't want it.

Snow also has a habit of swirling upwards and sideways.

We would suggest the protection of the outer covers is particularly important if the inner 'mesh'/fly screens has been removed to improve airflow?

It’s perhaps worth mentioning that ‘outer’ winter-covers and anti-insect meshes relate to Dometic fridges.

Current Thetford fridge ventilation grilles have no anti-insect meshes and the winter-cover fits behind the grille rather than on the grille’s front.

Archived