Engine management light Fiat Ducato 2.8JTD 2004

laimeduck

Question for Nick Euroserv please!

Engine management light Fiat Ducato 2.8JTD 2004
A) When throttling hard, the light comes on at about 2800rpm and the revs stop increasing.
B) If the accelerator pedal is slightly relaxed, the light goes out.
C) as soon as the light goes out, if one then quickly boots down the accelerator, the light no longer comes on & the revs increase over 3000rpm.
D) This happens in 3rd 4th & 5th Gears but not apparently in 2nd?

My local garage have done a diagnostics test & the turbo waste gate is blamed. They will test the operation of this when they can get access to a big enough ramp at a neighbouring garage.(the turbo is up between bulkhead & engine block)

In itself it's not really a problem as I rarely enter those rev ranges, BUT, when overtaking or going up steep hills (ie the Alps!) it is quite disconcerting to have your acceleration momentarily curtailed.

I do not understand why after the light comes on and if the pedal is momentarily relaxed, the light goes out and revs can increase as in C)
If it were the tubo waste gate sticking as has been suggested, why does a quick boot down negate the effect?
In laymans terms it seems that booting the accelerator somehow dupes the ECU so the fault is no longer reported?

Is there anything else I should get the garage to look at?

We are intending to start a 2-3 month trip in early September down through France Spain & Portugal including a trip or two over the Pyrnees, so 4000-5000miles is anticipated and I would like to sort the problem before we leave.

Many thanks

Jeremy

I would suspect the turbo boost pressure sensor or the manifold pressure sensor (MAP) . I have not seen this on a Ducato but had the same fault on a Doblo. During normal acceleration the boost pressure seems too high for the throttle input but when your foot is flat on the floor; the pressure is acceptable because you clearly want whatever you can get!

Before Colin comes along I should suggest you check your air filter and air flow meter for signs of mice. This is irritatingly common!

N

Just for the record - Garage took off turbo wastegate - cleaned, & slightly enlarged the actuator rod hole, & so far after 50 miles - Bob's your Aunty - problem solved. Will monitor on our trip down through France to Spain & Portugal, starting sometime, first week in September.

Thanks all for your assistance.

Jeremy

Archived