Comfortmatic gear box

patandlynn

Hello. This thread is fairly recent and will give you an insight. It also contains a link to an earlier thread.

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Fiat-Comfortmatic-advice/46136/

On specifics, fuel consumption is OK. On a good run, I get 30mpg which can fall to nearer 25mpg on a fast motorway run. However, I think it is the engine size and driving style rather than the Comfortmatic that will determine the mpg.

The driving is easy. You can use it as a sequential manual. It provides effortless cruising in Britain. My concerns have always been the Comfortmatic's difficulty in coping on quick roads with tight bends and hills such as in the Pennines which need quick gear changes. The Comfortmatic does not change gear quick enough so I have to override. Good in car parks!

I don't do enough mileage [6,500 miles pa] to justify the cost for the benefits the Comfortmatic brings. In future, I'll spend the money on a bigger engine or better suspension.

There have been lots of threads on this subject so have a search.

We have Comfortmatic on our PVC and I love it as it makes the whole driving experience so much easier and relaxing. It is a robotised manual box so I think there is no effect on MPG.

The system generally works extremely well but does have some foibles but in my opinion they are very minor and in no way affect the overall experience. The box can be slow to change from first to second when pulling away but the trick is not to accelerate too hard and let it get into second before flooring it. I do not find this to be an issue. When going up a steep hill it can sometimes be slow to change down by which time you have lost too much speed but this is easily overcome by pre empting this and dropping a gear manually.

We have the 150 engine and I would seriously consider this upgrade as there is loads of power. I think the new engines are 160 BHP so even better.

One issue I have with the Ducato is the handbrake as you need to drop it a low way to disengage which is a pain in stop start traffic. The Comfortnatic is essentially a manual so will not hold in the way that a torque converter box will. I get round this easily by left foot brakiing on any sort of incline.

I would recommend this gearbox without hesitation.

I like it and am on my second. No difference in mpg as it is, as already stated, a robotised manual rather than an automatic.

Agree that it can change down too late on hills but simply anticipate that and do a manual change.

Hi

We have the 130 engine and have completed 18000+ miles over 27 months.

I am a complete convert. Driving easy, better fuel consumption ( I have exactly the same vehicle as last time but with comformatic rather than manual). Don't have and don't need cruise control.

When I change vehicle I will definitely specify comformatic.

Peter

Don636 - 2017-08-12 8:39 PM

...We have the 150 engine and I would seriously consider this upgrade as there is loads of power. I think the new engines are 160 BHP so even better...

The Euro 6 diesel-fuelled powerplants used in current model Ducatos are described here:

https://www.fiatcamper.com/en/product/engines

There are now just two engine capacities - a 2.0litre 115bhp motor that has a 6-speed manual gearbox only, and three 2.3litre motors with 130bhp, 150bhp or 177bhp. All three 2.3litre motors have a 6-speed manual gearbox or can be specified with the Comfort-Matic 6-speed ‘robotised' transmission.

From my own experience, and taking into account all the replies to Comfortmatic questions on this forum, I think that the Comfortmatic gearbox is like Marmite - you either love it or hate it! The problem is that you won't find out which camp you'll end up in until you have driven one for several thousand miles over all kinds of roads.

One thing said above, with which I agree, is that it does not give the best account of itself until the engine has loosened up a bit, say 20K miles (ours is now coming up to 26,000 miles). Even then, for me, it remains Marmite. Sometimes it has me chuckling, sometimes cursing! Of the latter, the first to second lag has been well rehearsed above.

Under relatively easy driving conditions (when a manual would be equally easy to drive) it is almost faultless, saving an in-built reluctance to change down on moderate hills, leading to the engine labouring, and losing momentum, in too high a gear - until given a manual "nudge" to change down (when it not infrequently changes back up again after a couple of hundred yards! Grrrr!).

It is at its worst on long, relatively steep, twisting roads (think Alpine passes, or similar) where, simply put, it can't cope, even in "Hill Holder" mode, and it is necessary in the interests of sanity to put it into manual and take over.

Why? Because, basically, whereas it holds a low gear satisfactorily as one accelerates towards the next bend, as soon as one lifts off to reduce speed on approach - it changes up. Then, when one wants "soft" acceleration through the bend it holds the higher gear instead of changing down, momentum is lost, the engine revs fall off, the gearbox eventually responds with a downshift (but only one cog), causing further loss of revs/momentum, so changes down again, sometimes even to first with a virtual hill start, and off one goes again to repeat in various degrees until the summit is reached.

Hill holder merely substitutes a lower gear in each case, and allows the engine to rev higher before changing up. This compensates for, but does not eliminate, the basic tendency change up as soon as the accelerator is lifted.

The partial work around is not to lift off gently on approach, but to keep the pedal hard down until the last minute, and then quickly come right off the accelerator, when it will hold the present gear - but still fail to change down as speed falls and gentle acceleration through the bend is applied. The full work around is to stick it into manual, approach in the gear required for exit, and then drive through the bend. But then, why pay for the automatic? I can make a better fist of driving a manual transmission up pretty much any hill than the Comfortmatic.

Overtaking in auto mode is like Russian roulette, especially on an incline! Indicate, "nudge" to change down, pull out, accelerate - and the box changes back up! Or, indicate, pull out, floor the pedal - and then wait while the box decides whether to kick down or not! Or, "nudge" and hold, indicate, pull out, and commence overtaking with one hand on the wheel until certain that the electronics have got the message. Or, simply put into manual, select gear, indicate, pull out and accelerate. So, again, why pay extra for the Comfortmatic? There is more, but you get my drift.

So, after those 26,000 miles, my conclusion is that I shall not get another. If it can't drive itself smoothly, logically, and comfortably, without requiring me to take over when the going gets difficult, it has no value to me.

Driving a manual is far easier under testing conditions than having a running argument with an recalcitrant machine that has, in the end, to be overridden, and is no more difficult under benign conditions. With the manual one knows exactly which gear is/will be required, one selects it, one holds it as required, and one then changes it for the next most suitable one!

I know the Comfortmatic is clever, and I know I'm being harsh, but I just find that trying to double-guess whether it will do what is actually required of it, under continually varying circumstances, is more of a distraction from, than an aid to, relaxed driving.

But then, that's me. :-D My advice to the OP would be to take a Comfortmatic on an extended test, preferably laden, and subject it to some difficult, demanding, sections of road, before finally deciding. By the way, I do like Marmite! :-) Hope this helps a bit.

Whilst I can't disagree with ALMOST everything Brian has said, I still much prefer the comfortmatic gearbox to the manual one.

Until recent years I have always felt I wanted to be in absolute control of my vehicle, and decide which gear is appropriate at any given time.

But - and maybe it's an age thing, not to mention a slightly arthritic knee - I now greatly prefer automatic (or semi-automatic, in the case of the comfortmatic) gearboxes. Our current van is much more relaxing to drive imho, especially in heavy traffic and when negotiating roads with dozens of roundabouts. Had no problem going over the Grossglockner High Alpine road in Austria a few weeks ago - fully loaded 3,500kg and only the 130hp 2.3 lt engine. I wouldn't hesitate to have another comfortmatic.

Driving with a Comfortmatic box is far more relaxing. Brian has highlighted the imperfections but when you get used to the gearbox many of the issues can be overcome. Driving the vehicle in manual form is not perfect either and with the Comfortmatic I find that it is far easier on my left knee and back.

If there was a poll of Comfortmatic owners I believe the vast majority would opt for the Comfortmatic box over the manual version. From memory I believe most of those who have criticised Comfortmatic on previous threads are not owners but those who have a fundamental dislike of robotised gearboxes.

I can speak from experience - We have owned a comfortmatic for the past 18 months.

I have responded to threads before about this - to be honest it is one of the less pleasant features of our van, it does get us from a to b, and looks like it will continue to do so. I cannot personally recommend it.

My main criticism is the thing left us in the fast lane of the M6 with no drive, near on terrifying, and again on a major roundabout, - suddenly and without warning, - Turned out there was an electrical issue with the brake light switch and it's connections to the ECU which was fixed under warranty.

The other problem is the dreaded "lurch", - hard to describe, - If I slow down from speed and stop in one smooth action, it's fine, but what I tend to do is slow to a speed, possibly slightly accelerate to close up to the car in front there is van shaking jolt, think it's when it's going from 2nd to 1st, have been back to the dealer and had them test drive it, they seemed happy that all is OK, trying to work out exactly what the cause is.

Otherwise, yes it is smooth, drove it across Europe, - had one issue coming off a roundabout when the van just would not go, had to slow right down until it's "brain" got back on track - it changed up instead of down, mostly the box does what it should, it is easy to drive - but would prefer 100% confidence in it which I haven't got. .... Got used to the pulling away lag, - get the van rolling, into 2nd then boot it, becomes second nature after a while.

I'm firmly in the 'would have' camp. Now on my third comfortmatic equipped motorhome - a Hymer A-Class - and can cope with the few oddities but really like the relaxed drive especially down to Spain and back. This van has the 150 engine which feels a little more capable than the 130.

David

Whilst I would not disagree with Brian's' observations I remain firmly in the yes camp as for 90% of the time I feel it performs adequately well and for me makes driving a much smoother and more relaxing exercise, particularly in heavy stop start traffic. For me, not having to use a clutch is what makes it easier so even having to resort to manual is still easier with Comfortmatic. In fact I like using the manual facility on more challenging roads as it gives me more control, something I like when using torque converter gearboxes such as on my previous BMW 5 series or my current Volvo V90.

In comparison I also have a Mazda MX5 with a manual gearbox which is superb and I would not entertain an auto on that car no matter how good it was as the manual is much more involving. With a motorhome however the driving experience is not really very involving, more of a chore so an auto box just helps make the experience more relaxing for me but each to their own of course.

I drive a Toyota Prius Hybrid which obviously automatic and quite fancied a ComfortMatic.. Three things put me off.

1st my wife had a VW UP with robotised manual gearbox with same change lag between 1st and 2nd. Not helpful if you need to boot it because some other idiot has done something stupid.

2nd thing was something on a previous thread about some problems with Comfortmatic that Fiat dealers could not get to the bottom of. Not great if you are in the middle of France on a Sunday with a late night ferry to catch.

3rd thing was when someone had collected their brand new van from our local dealer in the west country and were marooned at the traffic lights about 5 miles away stuck in 3rd. Dealer admitted to me that is was rather embarrassing that it took the Fiat main dealer 2 weeks to resolve the problem.

I know you might have to be unlucky for it to happen to you and statistically it is a very small percentage of vehicles that ever have a problem but I would rather put up with having full control with the "stirring a rice pudding" manual change. Same gearbox, I assume same clutch and no added complicated mechanics, electrics and computer to go wrong. Just my thoughts, your decision.

I think Will's right. You have to react to how a Comfortmatic box actually works rather than be frustrated because it doesn't work the way you wish it to operate.

For me, using it in sequential shift mode gives all the advantages of a manual box without the 'pick a gear, any gear' gear lever and without using a clutch which is a boon in heavy traffic. The added benefit, then, is the automatic mode which gives relaxed driving - and easy workarounds for its few foibles.

Tall_Mike - 2017-08-13 8:37 PM

get the van rolling, into 2nd then boot it, becomes second nature after a while.

Having not driven a Comformatic I'm limited on what I can say but the comment from Mike may suggest how we all differ in our driving ways.

I'm on a driving ban after eye surgery but will endeavour to hire one when I'm clear and pass my views.

:->

I've done 40000 miles in mine and am constantly impressed with it. It does have foibles which you soon learn to live with, but it's very impressive. I can see that others might take a 'Marmite' approach to it, but it returned 31 mpg over 2500 miles to Austria recently, including motorway and mountain passes. That said, I do drive for economy and have noticed a big different in mileage once you go above about 56 mph. It will hold 70 mph all day, but at a price.

What's particularly impressive is how it drops a gear to hold you on long hills without you telling it. You can easily override it with a flick of the shift.

No problems thus far.

Archived