faded pant

k99bbb

I've heard that G101 from Autosmart is good for cleaning/reviving plastic. Then use a wax for protection of the surface.

G101 is a general purpose cleaner and available from Amazon in one litre bottles. It needs to be diluted so a litre bottle should last a long time. It's normally sold to the trade in 5 litre containers.

Depending how faded is the paint, you might get away with a good polish. I'd try that first on a small area. If it doesn't work, get a colour or paint restorer, then polish and then wax.

Polish is a slight abrasive that abrasive action to removes very fine layers of the top coat protection. In the light, the polished van should shine. Wax enhances that shine and provides future protection for the paintwork.

As to what to use, I prefer Autoglym products [easy to find a stockist] except for washing. My son tends to use AuotBrite Direct products. I left him to clean the van with AutoBrite stuff and when I returned, it was in showroom condition. My dealer uses AutoSmart products. The valeter at the dealer says it's less about the product, more about the skill of the user [he would, wouldn't he!].

Beware. If you do return the lower panels to a 'new condition', you might end up doing the whole vehicle.

Robbo - 2017-08-13 11:10 AM

I've heard that G101 from Autosmart is good for cleaning/reviving plastic. Then use a wax for protection of the surface.

G101 is a general purpose cleaner and available from Amazon in one litre bottles. It needs to be diluted so a litre bottle should last a long time. It's normally sold to the trade in 5 litre containers.

Due to the thread title I assumed its paint, not plastic.

I have revived the grey plastic on my van with a professional 3kw electric hot air gun, giving a wide flat air stream, just keeping it on long enough to melt the surface. Is this is how the dealers do it?

Archived