New van Advice Globecar or Adria

1ten

Hello,

I'm new to this form and hoping I can get done real advise from people who actually own the vans rather than magazine reviews.

We have moved from tents and currently have a T5 conversion and are looking at getting something a bit bigger. We are going to the NEC show to have a very good look at some vans but would like some feedback from anyone who has the vans we are so far thinking of or any other van suggestions. We are a family of four, 2 daughters aged 11 & 9. We want a four berth with beds we can leave down, we did look at drop down beds but if someone (normally me and one of our daughters) gets up earlier they have nowhere inside the van to go as the bed blocks the lounge. Unlike the T5 we want the ability to be able to unplug the hook up lead and drive off without. We camp all year round and although this is possible in the T5 its not that practical. we are also new to the idea of a toilet and shower in a van. We generally use campsites so this would hopefully be for emergencies only but we would still like to know what the showers are like. we also need to solve the issue of 4 bikes to transport, looks like it could be a very expensive swing away Busbiker rack!

From using the web we are interested in a Globecar Campscout Revolution or a Adria 600 Sport Family and would love some feedback from anyone who has one of these or a very similar model from the same manufacturers, or any other suggestions.

Thanks for the help.

Hi

I cannot speak for the model you are looking at but we have had a Globecar Globestar (4 seat belts but two beds) for 5 years covering 30000 miles with our first and 20000 miles with our current.

I am pleased with built quality and quality of furnishings.

We have used in Alps in winter and winterisation is good. It has an internal cold water talk which for us is a must.

Access to gas to switch on and off is via back doors which can be a pain so I put in an airtight hatch.

Not sure this really answers your questions but info may help.

Peter

I'm happy with our Campscout, and also the Busbiker.

With 4-up, however, your circumstances will be somewhat different.

It will be cramped (not as much as a T5, but still cramped - not a stopper - I've been there, but best you know).

The Busbiker rack will theoretically take four rails, but you will be close to the weight limit (80kg) with four bikes loaded.

You won't find a 3500kg MAM 'van (legally) workable.

I can't find details of the Adria you mention, so can't comment on that, but the Campscout Revolution has certain aspects that lend itself to your needs.

i) It is (still I believe) delivered as standard on the Maxi version. This can be upgraded as a paper exercise at little or no cost to 4250kg MAM, which should make it workable for 4-up (driving licence permitting).

ii) The maximum axle loadings of the Maxi version are considerably higher, and lend themselves better to, for example, a heavily loaded rear bike-rack.

iii) The longitudinal, stacked bed arrangement in the Campscout Revolution is likely to be about the best you can achieve for your needs

The shower arrangement is "fiddly", but frees much-needed space, and makes for a more roomy toilet compartment. That said, we are off-grid a lot, and our shower is regularly used - it serves its purpose, and is probably a reasonable compromise. (drying it after use is the main bugbear)

We have a 2017 Globecar Campscout and we're over the moon with it, we've done 2000 miles now in the van with no problems at all.

The storage space in these vans is fantastic, yesterday at the Malvern show I was loading our van with awning, seats and recliners etc when someone came across and said they were intrigued with the amount of storage we had.

Later on I saw the same person having a look at a Campscout on SMC dealership stand.

Great vans.

John.

We have a 2017 Adria Twin 600 SPT and have just finished a 14000km trip across Southern Europe and Scandinavia. Last year we borrowed our parents Globecar and did Southern Italy and France. Both are great vehicles and I would not of wanted anything larger on some of the Alpine tracks we did. The insulation in the Adria is very good and we only had to use the heating twice when we camped at altitude in Norway. The toilet is handy at times although we try to limit use but at 4am when it's raining it's very handy. We only used the shower once after 3 nights wild camping in Sweden but was surprised how well it worked so would use it again when no other alternatives.

The only negatives with the Adria so far have been the fly screen for the side door has a habit of coming off the rails and is a pain to put back on, also the draws under sink tend to pop open when cornering but this can be fixed.

We have a Globecar Familyscout (6 seatbelts and 2 beds) Have had no problems at all with the conversion, just with the Fiat base van. Love the quality of the Globecar and the amount of storage for a PVC. Need to be careful with weights though, very close to MTPLM when fully loaded with awning, gas etc and 2 adults and 3 kids, but guess the Adria will be the same load capacity wise.

I'm biased as I have a Campscout but I researched carefully and decided the Globecar was better build quality than the Adria. For four bikes I'd look at the Alko Sawiko Agito rack, works like the Busbiker but is available for 80 kg or 120 kg. It is heavy, I had to up plate my van, went to 4250 kg

The shower is good to use but a pain in that you have to dry it off, tray and tambour doors, after use. If it's just for occasional use it will be fine

Much as I love my van for me four people in a PVC is my idea of hell

henrypartridge - 2017-08-28 6:42 PM

I'm biased as I have a Campscout but I researched carefully and decided the Globecar was better build quality than the Adria. For four bikes I'd look at the Alko Sawiko Agito rack, works like the Busbiker but is available for 80 kg or 120 kg. It is heavy, I had to up plate my van, went to 4250 kg

The shower is good to use but a pain in that you have to dry it off, tray and tambour doors, after use. If it's just for occasional use it will be fine

Much as I love my van for me four people in a PVC is my idea of hell

Thanks for your view, the bike rack looks interesting and a serious alternative.

We don't spend a lot of time in the van when parked up an we have survived with four of us in VW T5 so the extra space in a PVC will be a luxury.

Archived