Alarm advice please - repair or replace?

michaelmorris

The after-market Cobra alarm that was fitted to our motorhome by a previous owner has started playing up. I've been in touch with a couple of local people who maintain/fit alarm systems and the advice I've received from one of them is that with old, cheap, after market alarm systems tend to have a relatively short lifespan and it's probably not going to be worth spending much money trying to get it fixed. At £50+ an hour, a repair bill could easily quickly reach >£100 just to find the fault, let alone fix it (if it is economic to repair at all).

What are other people's experience of cheap after market alarms? Am I likely to just be throwing good money after bad? Should I just take the hit and spend £400-ish on a brand new modern system?

Thanks

Your phrase "playing up" fails to communicate what problems you are having,

At your quoted £400, it would be well worth inspecting the insallation for any obvious problems.

In my own experience with a new insallation carried out by a registered installer I found a 12V supply wire which dropped out of a female blade crimp when touched and then several wires bunched into an incorrectly sized ring crimp. The wires came out when tugged. Crimping seemed to have been performed using side cutting pliers. I was not impressed.

Alan

hi ya depends how much you value your pride and joy :-S if just an alarm...most people ignore them and if in remote place won't hear it, £300 ish and alarm/imobiliser £450 i have alarm tracker imobiliser with a 5 year contract so if it gets set off they ring me (plenty of false alarms *-) :-D ) and if they do manage to nick it, the police are informed and can remotely stop the vehicle at any time, not cheap £1000 ish but if you want total piece of mind thats what i have, link below

http://www.606060.com/motorhome-security-13-p.asp

Jonathan

Alanb - 2017-08-24 9:28 PM

Your phrase "playing up" fails to communicate what problems you are having,

At your quoted £400, it would be well worth inspecting the insallation for any obvious problems.

In my own experience with a new insallation carried out by a registered installer I found a 12V supply wire which dropped out of a female blade crimp when touched and then several wires bunched into an incorrectly sized ring crimp. The wires came out when tugged. Crimping seemed to have been performed using side cutting pliers. I was not impressed.

Alan

The alarm either won't set of if it does, it goes off after few minutes..

The possible new alarm would be supplied and fitted by a near y installer who comes we recommend we on several motorhome forums..

I wouldn't call the Cobra alarm a particular cheap aftermarket alarm.

My 7 year old Cobra alarm has been pretty reliable. I assume the OP's alarm is hardwired?

The Cobra operating system is pretty basic. You open the door/locker and the reed switch (or other type switch) closes and triggers the alarm. However, if there is an electrical leak across the switch (or malfunction within the switch), the alarm will trigger with the door/locker in the closed position.

Suggest the OP first resets the system. If the alarm still goes off, the LED light on the dashboard should flash a set number of flashes which tells you which switch is triggering the alarm. This could be microwave detector, engine bonnet, cab door, hab door, lockers.

Archived