Help starter broke down in Glasgow replace cost £470!!!

Vietnam1

Don't know how you are getting on, are you mobile ? Just re-checked with Eurocarparts. RTX, Lucas and Bosch are all shown as fitting the same VIN range so any would do, just a name/price preference.

Lucas and Bosch both incur an additional refundable surcharge, RTX does not.

Hi Thanks for all your concerns and advice. Here is what happen ( excuse my English )

1. Van won't started

2. Break down mechanic diagnose starter motor faulty.

3. Removed found a match. Estimates from £200 to final price £470

I would have paid £350 but logic tell me tbat way too much so tried to find solutions.

Had it recondition locally at cost of £80. But don't know how to put back. So realised recovering people took its out so they should put it back. Call them and they agreed. The same mechanic came back putting back the starter motor. Told me he needed another spanner

Got a call from their offer saying they want £72 for call out charges as it now a different starter motor. Told it not it just been recondition as I can't afford their price. Realised the mechanic has left went to check starter found it was partially fitted!!! I was rather angry really unprofessional of them. (Funny thing is I was happy give him £20 for a drink. )

Anyway now turn out it the battery that had it days.

Had it replace now on with my journey discovering Scotland!!

It a lovely feeling now to just starter the engine!!

So now I wondered if they diagnose the starter fault on purpose and then move on to the battery maybe charging another £250.

You trusted these experts and they can caused a lot of trouble.

What are your view on this.?

If you can provide definitive proof to the breakdown people that the battery was defective and the motor was not then you might have a chance.

However I suspect that as the motor has been 'reconditioned' which usually only means replacing the bits that don't work and cleaning and repainting it to look new, unless you can get written evidence from the reconditioner that the motor was not defective, which seems unlikley seeing as they have charged you to recondition it, then I doubt you will get anywhere.

Similarly if you still have the old battery or have or can get written proof from the firm that diagnosed it as duff you might have a chance, but I suspect the breakdown company will be un cooperative and insist the battery was OK when they first checked the non starting problem - did they check it - and that it went flat whilst you were parked up.

Looking on the bright side, at least you are good to go and enjoy the midgies now with a decent new battery and a hopefully reliable starter motor.

Glad to hear you are back on the move. I think you should now concentrate in enjoying your adventure and not let this experience spoil it any more, maybe once you are back home take it up with your insurance company or who ever provides your breakdown cover, but for now get on with life.

Why not start a new thread and let us know what you are doing and where you get to?

For example did you get to the badminton world championships?

I find it incredible any breakdown mechanic wouldn't check the state of the battery before removing the starter motor.

Even if he is on the make he could sell a new battery which is a lot easier to fit (the AA was found doing this on a watchdog programme) And there is no real comeback on him because any used battery will be less than perfect so when it needs replacing is a matter of opinion.

Did they not put jump leads on the battery first?

Tracker - 2017-08-30 10:52 AM

Looking on the bright side, at least you are good to go and enjoy the midgies now with a decent new battery and a hopefully reliable starter motor.

That's absolutely slanderous. There are no midges here just now................... it's far too wet for them!

crocs - 2017-08-30 12:40 PM

That's absolutely slanderous. There are no midges here just now................... it's far too wet for them!

Oh dear, my apologies crocs, but the little bugs will come out again if ever it stops raining, or maybe your skin is thicker than mine and they don't bite you!

crocs - 2017-08-30 12:40 PM

Agreed! And it's blowing a gale!

Great to hear you got it fixed,you are probably correct it was probably the battery and not the starter.

Like you I am new to Motorhome's I purchased a 2004 enjoy your new purchase,don't let this put you off,you now have a better van,I would get your local garage to fit new brushes to the altinator when you are getting your next service,I did my starter & altinator brushes and fitted a new battery,

Best of luck

Kevin

Vietnam1 - 2017-08-30 9:56 AM

.................... The same mechanic came back putting back the starter motor. Told me he needed another spanner..........................

What are your view on this.?

My vehicle is a 2006 Ducato 2.8JTD, and I would expect that it will be similar to Vietnam 1's vehicle, if not identical.

The starter motor is fixed with two bolts and one stud all 8mm, which require a 13mm spanner. I can access all of the fixings with a combination spanner.

The main +ve connection is surrounded by a protective insulating shroud and may require a 13mm socket for access. The solenoid connection requires a 10mm spanner. As I have previously stated the main battery negative cable terminates on the starter motor stud.

If a mechanic attending to refix a starter motor that he has himself removed, is not equipped with the neccessary minimum tools as outlined above, that would suggest incompetence.

If I may digress slightly, my own relatively recent experience of starter motor and battery failure was on my wife's 15 year old Vauxhall Astra 1.7TD. We were expecting the battery to fail, probably after standing for a few days at home. Instead the starter failed away from home without warning, presumably from worn or sticking brushes. The starter motor was behind the engine on that vehicle. The battery died a few weeks later.

As a precautionary measure I have just changed the 11 year old starter battery on my 2.8 JTD. It may be imagination, but the starter motor seems more sprightly.

Alan

I wonder if a low battery can overload a starter motor, by the motor or solenoid trying to draw current that isn't there making both starter and/or battery overload - or something?

In other words can an iffy battery damage a starter motor?

Is it possible - does anyone know?

Tracker - 2017-09-02 11:30 AM

I wonder if a low battery can overload a starter motor, by the motor or solenoid trying to draw current that isn't there making both starter and/or battery overload - or something?

In other words can an iffy battery damage a starter motor?

Is it possible - does anyone know?

I imagine its possible if you keep the key turned - not enough current to turn the motor but enough to overheat the segment/coil its stuck on.

Yes you are correct a low battery & an old battery not having a full charge will cause a starter to burn out, I use a small solar battery charger on old claccics to keep the battery up to full charge.

I think Motorhome's could be like classic cars ( not used all the time ) with a clock,alarm,radio on standby will reduce it from 12 v then you start it & don't do the starter any good.

Kevin

Hi everyone just like to say thank you for all your help. We are now home it been a fantastic/exciting/ challenging journey with our three young sons. Nearly 1500 miles not bad for first timer!! Saw lot of stunning scenery. A great experience that forever be treasured.

Vietnam1 - 2017-09-06 9:21 AM

Hi everyone just like to say thank you for all your help. We are now home it been a fantastic/exciting/ challenging journey with our three young sons. Nearly 1500 miles not bad for first timer!! Saw lot of stunning scenery. A great experience that forever be treasured.

Thanks for the thanks, it's very kind of you as so many never bother.

I am glad that you enjoyed your trip, overcame the 'challenges', and are getting wiser to the ways of the motor homer!

Good luck!

Tracker - 2017-09-06 11:05 AM

Vietnam1 - 2017-09-06 9:21 AM

Thanks for the thanks, it's very kind of you as so many never bother.

I am glad that you enjoyed your trip, overcame the 'challenges', and are getting wiser to the ways of the motor homer!

Good luck!

Good comment Tracker.

It is true that many people ask for suggestions or advice on various forums, receive many replies but don't bother to say "thanks".

Seems pretty expensive. In February my starter refused to turn after a 4 week layoff. AA called and discovered motor full of liquid which we assumed was water. This was near Oban. Emptied out liquid and got van started . Phoned a local garage in Oban and took it in without stopping the engine after first start. Can't remember the price but for about £100 got new motor fitted next morning. A fuel filter leak was discovered by the garage just above the starter and fixed at the same time. Fiat Ducato 2004 2.0 litre GTX.

One other potential fault not yet covered that fits both a seemingly faulty Starter Motor and Duff battery is poor Earth connectivity?

A poor Earth will give symptoms of the above items being under par or faulty. It will also place a strain on both, shortening the lives of each.

Note it can also additionally damage the Alternator if you have more than one habitation battery and/or less than ideal habitation batteries.

Suggest you have the Earth straps checked or ideally, additional Earth straps fitted high up on the engine away from the Salt spray.

If the voltage at the Starter battery is less than 14.4v when the engine is running and driving the 12v element on the Fridge, then it might indicate an issue. If the voltage rises when a Battery jump lead is connected between the Battery negative terminal and a clean metal point on the engine then suggest you get an Auto Sparky to fit additional Earth leads and do a full assessment?

Note the Alternator must be under load when you do the test, hence having the Fridge set to 12v.

aandncaravan - 2017-09-08 8:46 AM

Note it can also additionally damage the Alternator if you have more than one habitation battery and/or less than ideal habitation batteries.

Yes as I recall the manufacturer's manual with my X2/50 says the additional battery should be no bigger than the main battery or it could damage the alternator (I don't know why), and mine is twice that. But I really need them so am hoping for the best and if it damages the alternator as the manual suggests I'll just have to risk it :-S

62,000 miles and OK so far.

I just have them connected with 25mm2 cable through a 100amp voltage sensing relay (omitting fuses to reduce resistance - but the cable is already double insulated welding cable and I have insulated it again by passing it through water hose where it touches metal) - the batteries charge remarkably quickly even just on tickover.

Archived