BF Economie Ferry Spain

PJay

Has any one used the BF economie ferry from either Santander/Bilbao?

going over next week via France. May decided to come back direct as the fast cat will have stopped by the time we come back. and wondered if it was worth saving on the economie ferry, or using the normal one.. From the web, it looks a bit "basic"

What are the cabins like? We don't do bunk beds! Too old to climb in and out of upper bunks.

we have used the overnight from Caen before, and the cabins where good

PJay

We did the Portsmouth/Santander but beginning of January on the Economy (Etretat) , never again, the weather was atrocious. The cabin was ok because it was a disabled one so had plenty of room. We didn't have a choice of ship as the Pont Aven was in dock having repairs done. I think that mainly its economy because it hasn't all the singing and dancing facilities that are on larger ships. It has the same self service restaurant etc.

Randonneur - 2017-08-26 6:50 PM

We did the Portsmouth/Santander but beginning of January on the Economy (Etretat) , never again, the weather was atrocious. The cabin was ok because it was a disabled one so had plenty of room. We didn't have a choice of ship as the Pont Aven was in dock having repairs done. I think that mainly its economy because it hasn't all the singing and dancing facilities that are on larger ships. It has the same self service restaurant etc.

Haven't been on the 'Economy', but have heard it is not as stable in rough weather in the Bay as the much bigger Pont Aven. And it sounds as though Randonneur discovered the hard way.

We sailed through the Bay in a Force 8 on the Pont Aven and it was fine.

Personally, I'd prefer to travel on one of the full price cruise ferries, especially as I don't think the savings on the Economy are that huge.

Thanks for replies. The price difference is £130.00

I was just looking into it. We usually drive back through France, so by the time you pay fuel, and stop overs, as we don't do aries, not a big difference. So may as well have decent food ?

It could be an option, should we need to get back quicker!

Probably would not bother with the economie, don't need pet friendly , (notice the cabins have non carpet,) hence being pet friendly

Not too bothered about the sea state, being ex sailors, and having ridden out a hurricane on a cruise ship!

PJay

Hello PJay, Used that service awhile ago and apart from saving money (which was the main reason for using it) the journey was 26 hours of boredom, bring plenty of books/newspapers etc, luckily our crossing was calm, the cabin okay with single beds and a decent shower. The restaurant was good or if you are into doing your own food there is a microwave in the cafe. The bar was busy and probably due to overcoming the boredom.

Regards Watty55

watty55 - 2017-08-27 6:07 PM

Hello PJay, Used that service awhile ago and apart from saving money (which was the main reason for using it) the journey was 26 hours of boredom, bring plenty of books/newspapers etc, luckily our crossing was calm, the cabin okay with single beds and a decent shower. The restaurant was good or if you are into doing your own food there is a microwave in the cafe. The bar was busy and probably due to overcoming the boredom.

Regards Watty55

i guess any journey of that length will be boring, hence going over night and sleeping Thats why we go via the fast cat 3hrs., but that does not run in October sadly

i believe one of the economie ships (Baie de Seine , or the Etrate ) stops somewhere in France.

If we did decide to come back that way, would probably opt for the non economy ones, either from Bilbao, or Santander Have not left Uk yet, so just planning ahead, I only ever book one way trip, so as to have options of when to return. I do have BF discount , and never had a problem getting a booking , this time of year

I have just remembered that we did once go on a return trip to Bilbao, on the old P& O ship, from Portsmouth cost £48.00 each return. Was mainly full of smokers, who just went to get the duty free, that was basic, and we did take some food with us , that was before they banned smoking on the ships!

PJay

Guest pelmetman

I think we've done both :-S .........

Can't say I was persuaded by the type of ship, its more the schedule that fits in with our needs ;-) ..........

Although we did have expensive posh nosh on one...... so I guess that wasn't the cheapo ferry :D .....

We've done both but would definitely say take Baie du Sienne not Etratt. Cabins are good-just the same as the cruise ferries and we found the self service food was good & decent choice. Nothing much to do en route but there again there is a bar if you want it with TVs and a quiet lounge if you want to read etc. Small shop & mini market for sandwiches etc. Very small 'duty free' and not really cheap. (Mrs B said cheaper in Boots!)

Upside:

Bit cheaper on the ferry price

Downside:

Cabins are more expensive, Vehicles are all parked outside unless you are very lucky-usually Wagons go inside so they can plug into mains. We also had to get cabin fumigated as someone had been smoking in it and it reeked! Very few inside cheaper bunk cabins

'Cruise Ferry' Cap Finestre

Cabins are almost identical so not much to say although you can get a cheaper inside bunk cabin if you want. Normal outside twin are slightly cheaper than economie cabins.

Restaurant is overpriced for what you get in our opinion & no self service

Entertainment in the (more comfortable) bar area if you want it, Information re Whale watching etc (but does go on a bit!) Much bigger bar area & lounges.

Upside:

Parking is inside, Cheaper cabins, Bigger ship, Bigger shops

Downside:

Ferry price bit higher, A la carte rest only, very limited self service (little shop with cont breakfast snacks etc) Bingo,

Summary:

The so called economie when I priced it up for 2018 for our outfit only worked out £50 cheaper overall than the cruise ferry. So it is really up to what you want-We didn't find any real difference on the sea journey so I suppose it's down to what you want on board-do you want it as a start/end to your holiday with 'entertainment or do you want a couple of beers and get your head down in your cabin?

If you join the Voyage club you get free breakfast & 10% off your dinner on the Cap Finestere plus 30% off your fare-take this into account for buying your breakfast & self serve dinner on the Baie du Seinne and there is very little if any difference. Your choice!

Hope this helps

Mike

Mike B. - 2017-08-30 8:35

If you join the Voyage club you get free breakfast & 10% off your dinner on the Cap Finestere plus 30% off your fare-take this into account for buying your breakfast & self serve dinner on the Baie du Seinne and there is very little if any difference. Your choice!

Hope this helps

Mike

Thanks Mike

We are off on Sunday to Cherbourg (Fast Cat) our favorite crossing but that stops in September sadly.

We will most likely come back via Caen, but I just thought I would sound out views on the Spanish crossing.

I do Have BF club voyager, but only get 10% on the spanish route 30% on the French.

If we did use the Spanish crossing, would have to have outside cabin, and not Bunk beds (too old to climb ladders) We are lucky to have only a 8 min journey from Ferry to home, so arrival times not a problem either.

PJay

Archived