Underfloor LPG......shutoff

snowie

Brian

I’m guessing that the regulator on snowie’s motothome is currently attached directly to the gas-tank’s outlet-valve. Moving the regulator’s position would (presumably) involve installing a high-pressure hose to connect the gas-tank’s outlet-valve to the regulator and - if the intention is to turn off the gas-flow at the regulator - the regulator itself would need to include that capability (which most do not).

If an underfloor gas-tank is to be equated to a gas-bottle, Eurotunnel should probably insist that the tank be turned off at its outlet-valve. Ferry operators seem to be less rigid about transporting gas and, although the simplest/most effective course of action if you have gas-bottles is to turn them off at the outlet-valve, I expect a ferry operator would consider turning off the gas ‘downstream’ of the regulator as acceptable if the alternative involves crawling underneath the vehicle.

I think I've said this before, but to clarify, My understanding is that Eurotunnel would require that the gas be turned off on the high pressure side of the regulator, on the cylinder. I also regard this as the appropriate method on ferries. I am not looking to locate a low pressure valve in a more convenient location, I think that would be self-deluding.

The dealer interpretation is interesting, but I'll continue to adopt my current inelegant method, even if nobody bothers to ask me if I've turned the gas off or more importantly how I've turned it off.

In this case I'll do it my way,

Regards

Alan b

Keith, we have an IH van with the gas tank in the same position that you mention. We have a remote on/off valve fitted just beside the sliding step, under the van. Clearly whilst this stops gas getting into van it doesn't switch the actual tank off. Our gauge is wired through our leisure battery and is visible all the time, much more sensible! I'm typing this on the hull to Zeebrugge ferry, been through full security check and this was satisfactory!

Bill

As I said earlier ours has a 12v solenoid valve fitted with a switch internally, this is not controlled by the ignition but through the normal 12v system so shuts off with the 12v when the engine is running as required by interference regulations.

The valve is fitted immediately after the gas regulator, externally, by the tank. There is also a manual shut off preceding the regulator. The whole setup is within nine inches of the tank. I have used Ferries and Tunnel where the tunnel operatives have inspected and been completely satisfied with no query whatsoever, in fact they are more concerned that the gauge is showing full and me having to show proof that the tank has an 80% shut off, so I believe your concerns are unfounded and the approved device as shown in my previous post is completely acceptable.

Bas

monique.hubrechts@gm - 2017-09-04 4:47 PM

You should understand your lpg pipe work in the first place before driving. And that includes the shut-off valve of the tank, mostly very near to the tank like a gas bottle.

I do not agree that any average motorhome owner would understand the LPG pipework, and certainly not when its underneath the body/chassis...I wouldn't have a clue, anymore than I would about the way in which the engine works!

I would have to assume - probably wrongly- that most of us expect what is provided by the major manufacturers/convertors is acceptable under current regulations and standards. In fact I asked my dealers to confirm from Autotrail that the gas arrangements on my PVC with the tank under chassis and no accessible turn off at that point and have been advised that it meets all the BS regulations.

That does not mean to say I am actually happy with it, and personally I think there should be a turn off facility either within the vehicle, or mounted externally and accessible... . meantime the best I can do is turn off the isolators, - and from my 'test' so far I think they are actually wrongly labelled!...something else to get checked out on the next trip to the dealers!

Archived