Hot or cold hubs

BruceM

I took the van for a 30 min drive this morning (mostly motorway) and when I got back, for the first time ever, I checked the wheel hub temperatuires with my hand. The rear wheel hubs felt relatively cool but the front hubs felt hot. Is this normal on a Fiat Ducato based motorhome? My initial thought is that most of the breaking will be on the front wheels so they would run hotter but the differential temperature between the front wheels and back wheels surprised me. Any one any thoughts?

Thanks

As that posting implies to me that there was symmetry across each axle, not a comment on a difference I would not be concerned. The chances of a dragging or seized pad, or distressed bearing exhibiting matched additional friction on each side is IMO quite small.

I would expect a large difference in the braking effect designed fore and aft with much greater provision placed onto the front. So with a lot more energy being destroyed there*, even though designed for it, an expectation things will be hotter there.

* well not "destroyed" in the true sense, converted to heat.

I think Ocsid has it right, and the front hubs get much hotter than the rears because of the braking, provided that one front hub is not significantly hotter than the other front hub, it is probably normal. Just think about it, not only do the front hubs act as a heat sink for the brake discs, they also have to cope with all the torque and stress imposed by the drive shafts, and the steering, and carrying the weight of the van, which is all transferred forward under braking. By comparison the rear hubs don't do much more than help with the breaking and stop the backend from dragging along the road.

AGD

The answers about braking are perfectly correct.

Travelling in many countries over many years I habitually do a cursory check of hub temperatures when we stop and in MHs and caravans the results are always the same ;-) (lol)

Archived