Shell LPG

Ralph

On my way home yesterday I stopped at the Shell station on the A12 at Marks Tey Essex to fill up with gas. However they refused to serve me saying that new instruction from shell is that gas can only be supplied for LPG powered vehicles, not for domestic use. I went to another Shell staion and filled without trouble but now that BP don't do gas any more I'm getting concerned. Does anyone know anything about this?

Edit: I should add that this is a Gaslow system with filler point etc.

Ralph - 2017-09-04 11:04 AM

Err, because she asked me and , not thinking there would be a problem, I said it was domestic :$ :-o

That now makes sense why, they would have had a head office note telling them not to allow people to fill up domestic gas containers, ie Calor bottles etc.

They haven't been trained for the difference between a Calor type bottle and a bonafide refillable system.

peterjl - 2017-09-04 1:43 PM

Hi

I never see a cashier until after I have filled with gas, how come you saw a cashier first?

Peter

Because you press the button and they have to switch the pump on. That's when she came out and said No

I doubt very much that a major oil company would administer "directives" on a "localised" basis...

If "Shell" actually have one in place, I would assume that it would apply to all of their service stations...

...now whether or not every member of staff, on every shift know about or bother to implement it, is another issue. ;-)

phalange - 2017-09-04 6:45 PM

i refer the honourable gentleman to the answer i gave earlier. so it seems the shell directive is localised. *-)

Not so.

If you go on to any Shell forecourt you will find (usually near the LPG pump) you will find a notice banning the filling of gas bottles. That applies to refillable bottles as well. The difference between sites is purely enforcement of the rule or not.

well, the shell station i filled up at had no such sign and i filled no problem and i have to lift the locker door on my van to get to the fill point, the BP station opposite also had gas so the statement that BP is no longer selling gas is hard to believe, unless it is only certain stations. I'll keep using shell and bp if i find them advertising LPG, you can only do as you find.

How available is Auto LPG these days given what seems to me a declining call for it, there being few UK new vehicles I suspect sold needing it?

And does that perceived decline in its intended use threaten its availability into even the immediate future?

Certainly, near me availability is thin on the ground and their attitude to refillables is anything but positive when I enquired at the two who are within a reasonable distance.

I was keen to be a convert but these two aspects hold me back.

phalange - 2017-09-05 10:57 AM

http://www.lpgmap.co.uk/index.php

That paints a dreadfully threadbare picture of today's availability but is there the slightest hope things will improve? I feel it can only get grimmer.

Possibly the environmental push could in the short term boost LPG vehicle sales but I think IC engines will more likely be sidelined in any vehicle makers plans.

..and I would take these some of the lpg finder websites with a pinch of salt..

When we looked at switching to a refillable, admittedly a few years back, some where still showing service stations around by us, that had shut down..and some had been bulldozed and had houses built on them years ago!

So I'd need to be sure these locations still existed(and allowed MHs to take on LPG) before I set out..

Archived