It's why people stay in hotels you know

snowie

!

Sitting in the van, without the awning, on the campsite at Delft (DelftseHout), watching the rain lashing down,thinking how glad I am that I left the awning at home as it would never dry out in time for when we leave tomorrow; that thought entered my mind.

Having bought my "Limpets" and practised putting the awning up, I tweaked my hamstrings in doing it and am in some discomfort since the crossing from Hull to Rotterdam on Tuesday. I wasn't sure I would be able to make the trip, but I'm here, and glad that I am.

The aim was to experience the coastal strip from Rotterdam to St Malo.

I think we'll end up spending a couple of weeks in The Netherlands, rushing through Belgium, and having a steady drive through France.

So far Delft is keeping our spirits up. It's a beautiful city, plenty to see and do, and lots of canalside houses. The market yesterday was very lively, and we had a 3-wheeled buggy ride into and around Delft, and back to the campsite for just 4 euro each.

We got back to the campsite and bumped into Brian and Sylvia, who we met on our first trip in our van, seven years ago! Small world; and that's one of the reasons why we don't, stay in hotels!

Regards

Alan b

P.s. Since the pound devalued itself, these trips are already noticeably more expensive.

We happen to be staying in a hotel right now, enjoying some proper sunshine 30deg +. I wouldn't miss doing this, just as much doing a cruise. We were travelling around the eastern Caribbean this time last year!

We'll be off to Spain as soon as the Xmas horror show is out of the way.

We don't like doing the same stuff all the time, each to their own.

It don't much matter whether you are in a warm snug van or a warm hotel room, if it's lashing with rain either is a much better place to be than out in it!

Twice we have gone to Delft and twice it has hissed with rain, so we won't go there no more!!

Even better is to use the wet weathe days to drive South to a warmer drier location and you can't do that with a hotel room!

Tracker - 2017-09-08 12:09 PM............................Even better is to use the wet weathe days to drive South to a warmer drier location and you can't do that with a hotel room!

Er, no, Rich, but you can book out, go elsewhere, and book into a different hotel! It's just that teeny bit more expensive doing it that way. :-D

Brian Kirby - 2017-09-08 1:03 PM

Tracker - 2017-09-08 12:09 PM............................Even better is to use the wet weathe days to drive South to a warmer drier location and you can't do that with a hotel room!

Er, no, Rich, but you can book out, go elsewhere, and book into a different hotel! It's just that teeny bit more expensive doing it that way. :-D

Depends how many nights you've booked and paid for, and how you travel?

Easy enough to relocate if you came by car, not quite so easy if by train or air and a real bind if by coach with a group!

Tracker - 2017-09-08 1:31 PM.......................Depends how many nights you've booked and paid for, and how you travel?

Easy enough to relocate if you came by car, not quite so easy if by train or air and a real bind if by coach with a group!

Oh, do people really do that kind of thing? I was thinking of nobs like us, Rich, not the hoi polloi! :-D

Tracker - 2017-09-08 12:09 PM

Twice we have gone to Delft and twice it has hissed with rain, so we won't go there no more!!

Even better is to use the wet weathe days to drive South to a warmer drier location and you can't do that with a hotel room!

We don't usually start this far north this late, so it's our own fault. Just popped out to IKEA for some apple pie, so all's well with the world

Cheers

Alan b

Tracker - 2017-09-08 4:22 PM

Can you get that on room service, and could you afford it even if you could?

€4.50 for two including free coffee with our Ikea card, recognised in stores throughout Europe; no problem!

Pop out to your local store, you know it makes sense

Cheers

Alan b

snowie - 2017-09-08 4:44 PM

Tracker - 2017-09-08 4:22 PM

Can you get that on room service, and could you afford it even if you could?

€4.50 for two including free coffee with our Ikea card, recognised in stores throughout Europe; no problem!

Pop out to your local store, you know it makes sense

Cheers

Alan b

So is the pie or the cost that makes you happy Alan?

Do they take Euros in the UK then!!

Our local Ikea is in Bristol which makes popping there more like half a day out!

We'll it has to be a combination of things, don't you think?

Looking at the weather back home and en route, there has to be something else on a trip like this. And it's just being here really. We're warm, dry and looking forward to scallops and chorizo, for tea tonight, so I think, on balance we'll survive!

Regards

Alan b

Great area,i spent a week in Noordwijk last year at this time, the weather was very hot but I never let the weather stop me doing anything,sounds like a nice trip following the coast hope the weather is better for you,I was in Normandy in June and the weather was good but its been a bad summer since then.

Well 12 hours torrential rain, so loud we could hardly hear the DVD, a drive to Enkuizen, to be turned away from the site we fancied because it's waterlogged, and it' s not been too good. That said, the weather has brightened up and we've moved on to a site at Lelystad, by a sailing club. Blue sky but soggy under foot., We need a plan so that's what we'll do, and leave purposeful on Monday

Bye for now

Alan b

We're booked Dover Calais on Tuesday and planning on going back to Belgium. We were there in May and had a really good time and stayed at some good campsites. One at Knokke was almost next to the station and we got the train to Bruges for €6.35 each return for a 45 minute train ride. We'll do it again and hope to do Ghent, the boat lift at Mons and on to Bouillon.

if you've not spent any time in Belgium and just "zoom through" on the way to somewhere else, you're missing a lot. The coast is 70 km's of the best sands you'll see and our dogs loved it, they almost had to be lifted back into the M/H.

Having said all that, if the weather's dicky we might just head off to the Med - it's only a day's drive

Yes you where at the right spot. Next time you also should extend the cost line golden sands to cadzand crossing the dutch border. By bike passing ZWIN a famous closed sea arm. Their is not a train there as you said to the the french site but that is a fast riding tram, not a train. If you are familar between the two.

And your dogs are not allowed on commercial beaches in the summer season. Have a great time there.

Archived