Grill on Smev oven

Thai Bry

Just returned from a 1 month trip touring Germany

Spent the majority of the time on some lovely stellplatzs, mostly down by the riverside, most expensive was €9 a night including EHU.

I noticed that only the front half of the grill was working.

Anyone on here knows what the problem could be please.

I presume it's one of the igniters or is it that the gas is not getting to the back half of the grill unit.?

All the other gas rings and oven where working fine

Any advice would be appreciated 

Many thanks 

Cattwg - 2017-09-09 2:11 PMHave you tried lighting the grill with a flame? This will show whether or not gas is getting to both halves of the grill. If it is then the problem could well be with the igniter.Cattwg :-D

Many thanks for your response re my oven grill issue.
I'll try to light the back half with a flame again.

Cattwg - 2017-09-09 2:11 PMHave you tried lighting the grill with a flame? This will show whether or not gas is getting to both halves of the grill. If it is then the problem could well be with the igniter.Cattwg :-D

I've just been to the van, lit the grill and tried to light the back part with a flame,and the grill is still only being lit on the front half.
So looks like the gas is not getting to the back half of the grill unit

I've had several Smev Ovens with grills and have one at present. Most of the problems stem from the modern change over to the 30 m/bar regulators now fitted in vans which is not an adequate pressure to supply some units. I'm fortunate to have a 50 m/bar truma reg on my old Hymer ('99) and and all gas units jetted accordingly. Grills tend to use more gas than a hob plus more pressure is needed to get an even burn along the length of the burner. So while every other unit appears to be working fine they probably are not running 100%. So I would fit a new reg.,i.e 30 m/bar if that's what your system is. There may be a partial restriction in the system somewhere but unlikely. I had a similar problem with the grill on my smev a few years ago and stripped it out, and used an air line on valves burner pipes etc. in desperation, it now does toast in 2 1/2 mins a side. Hope that helps.

keninpalamos - 2017-09-10 9:50 AMI've had several Smev Ovens with grills and have one at present. Most of the problems stem from the modern change over to the 30 m/bar regulators now fitted in vans which is not an adequate pressure to supply some units. I'm fortunate to have a 50 m/bar truma reg on my old Hymer ('99) and and all gas units jetted accordingly. Grills tend to use more gas than a hob plus more pressure is needed to get an even burn along the length of the burner. So while every other unit appears to be working fine they probably are not running 100%. So I would fit a new reg.,i.e 30 m/bar if that's what your system is. There may be a partial restriction in the system somewhere but unlikely. I had a similar problem with the grill on my smev a few years ago and stripped it out, and used an air line on valves burner pipes etc. in desperation, it now does toast in 2 1/2 mins a side. Hope that helps.

Many thanks for your input.
I'll check the regulator as you suggest, the regulator is the original one supplied when we bought the van brand new in 2007, i also had a more rigid gas pipe fitted only a couple of years ago. 
Not had any problems with the oven or grill until this year
I'll also try to clean out the grill with a aur line
Thanks for your advice 

If you get it working properly, try doing some Toast. If the result is not very good, you can try bending the reflective plates slightly (the chrome plates either side of the flame) to a steeper angle.

Someone said this a number of years ago and it certainly worked on the van I had at the time. It evened out the heat pattern to give decent toast. :D

Brian Kirby - 2017-09-10 1:06 PMI would suspect a cobweb within the grill burner, or other, similar, blockage. If the grill worked 100% before, and the front half (by which I'm understanding the portion nearest the gas jet) still works, something is now preventing the gas getting to the rear part of the burner.

Many thanks Brian and to Jim (747) for your advice
I'll try to clear the back half of the grill of any blockages  before I start to dismantle  the grill assembly.
Could it be as simple as a cobweb blockage or something similar? 
Thanks agajn

Archived