What? No rubbish bin??

Tony Jones

Just a heads-up for anyone using the ACSI book on the Spanish Med. We're overnighting at La Quinta Bella, at Aguilas - no 2977 in the current book. Owner Jonathan made us welcome, and all was well until I went over to ask his wife where the rubbish and recyling bins were. "Oh, we don't have any, because of wild animals. We ask people to bag up their rubbish and take it away with them, and use public bins."

Is it just me??? I thought bins with latches had been invented, which people could open but animals couldn't? And how on earth do other sites manage? In 40 years of camping and motorhoming, I've NEVER found a site, aire or car park which didn't have at least a waste bin. And this is a site which is constantly being improved and enlarged!

But wait - if you have rubbish and/or recycling, you probably have to pay the council to empty them (like every other campsite on the planet does). So maybe it's just another bit of normal, boring greed and meanness.

Whatever the reason, we won't be back, and I'll be reporting this to the ACSI people.

This money saving idea is being used in small towns and villages in this country as well. I'm a regular visitor to Cornwall in the summer/autumn and on arrival in Mevagissey this year noticed how much plastic and other rubbish was floating in the harbour. After eating my fish & chips on the harbour wall one evening I went of to find a rubbish bin to deposit the paper and plastic wrapping. No bins... anywhere but a sign which stated " Take your rubbish back to where you bought it" which is all well and good if the shop is still open, which it wasn't and you didn't perchase the rubbish in another town, which taken to the extreme would see people driving miles around the country just to comply with this stupid council policy. How "green is that! And that's why the harbour is full of rubbish. Doh!

Tony Jones - 2017-09-20 11:24 AMJust a heads-up for anyone using the ACSI book on the Spanish Med. We're overnighting at La Quinta Bella, at Aguilas - no 2977 in the current book. Owner Jonathan made us welcome, and all was well until I went over to ask his wife where the rubbish and recyling bins were. "Oh, we don't have any, because of wild animals. We ask people to bag up their rubbish and take it away with them, and use public bins."Is it just me??? I thought bins with latches had been invented, which people could open but animals couldn't? And how on earth do other sites manage? In 40 years of camping and motorhoming, I've NEVER found a site, aire or car park which didn't have at least a waste bin. And this is a site which is constantly being improved and enlarged!But wait - if you have rubbish and/or recycling, you probably have to pay the council to empty them (like every other campsite on the planet does). So maybe it's just another bit of normal, boring greed and meanness.Whatever the reason, we won't be back, and I'll be reporting this to the ACSI people.

The Site Operators will have their own rubbish to dispose of and so they must have a way of doing that; it is not credible that they have none and rediculous of them to require MH owners to take their rubbish away.  

I was initially going to observe that it should not be much of a chore for a campsite stay of one night (or two or three) to take away one’s rubbish, but I note that “La Quinta Bella”

http://www.quintabella.com/

advertises long stays (14+ days) and over-wintering stays (minimum 60 days) where rubbish production will obviously be much greater.

Odd!

keninpalamos - 2017-09-20 6:23 AM

This money saving idea is being used in small towns and villages in this country as well. I'm a regular visitor to Cornwall in the summer/autumn and on arrival in Mevagissey this year noticed how much plastic and other rubbish was floating in the harbour. After eating my fish & chips on the harbour wall one evening I went of to find a rubbish bin to deposit the paper and plastic wrapping. No bins... anywhere but a sign which stated " Take your rubbish back to where you bought it" which is all well and good if the shop is still open, which it wasn't and you didn't perchase the rubbish in another town, which taken to the extreme would see people driving miles around the country just to comply with this stupid council policy. How "green is that! And that's why the harbour is full of rubbish. Doh!

Yeah I've wondered what the Mevagissey Harbour Trustees did with my money from parking and boat dues. They say its to maintain the harbour. But when the harbour wall needed reinforcement they said they hadn't got the money so got taxpayer funded grants *-)

Which reminds me of an interesting discussion I had with a Yorkshire Dales National Parks Warden. i was filling my water from one of their taps and he came to tell me it wasn't allowed - they had been told to save water to save money. On the notice board there was a picture of some cute little animal, with a caption under it saying the National Park needed funds to look after it. I told him he ought to replace the photo of this animal with a photo of the Chief Exec. That really pushed his button and set him off on a tirade about how much the bosses were paid when workers like him had their overtime cut - and had even told him to turn the water pressure down to save water. He finished up going inside and turning the water pressure back up again for me to fill my water carriers faster. :D

Just a quick note, re rubbish in harbour etc.. it might well be that the rubbish came in with the tide .possibly

Dumped overboard from those luxury cruise liners at sea somewhere.. not necessarily local rubish..

Plastic doesnt deteriorate very quickly , so why with modern technology cant we invent an alternative.

Tonyg3nwl

tonyg3nwl - 2017-09-19 10:15 PM

I wonder if the site fees also include something called tourist taxes or equivalent. If so that would pay for rubbish disposal, so site should have arrangment with local authority for rubbish collection.

Tonyg3nwl.

Your location reminds me that some bright spark in the New Forest District Council has pulled the recycling bins in a Fordingbridge main carpark.

The end result was not that the recycling "rubbish" was no longer taken there, but a large load of it was after reading the sign then not taken away as hoped but dumped and was scattering to the four winds.

As a casual observer though not one using or needing the service other than the carpark itself, this strikes me of some dumb thinking for a major tourist area. Seems what I expect to be cost cutting measures could be backfiring.

tonyg3nwl - 2017-09-20 10:04 AM

Plastic doesnt deteriorate very quickly , so why with modern technology cant we invent an alternative.

Before we 'progressed' to plastic, paper was the default packaging for dry goods, but plastic was cheaper in up front costs and considerably stronger when wet.

Only those with a vested interest who made and sold the plastic alternative were aware of the potential long term effects of non bio degradable plastics, but turkeys don't vote for Christmas and so the world became plasticised.

John52 - 2017-09-20 10:00 AM

Which reminds me of an interesting discussion I had with a Yorkshire Dales National Parks Warden. i was filling my water from one of their taps and he came to tell me it wasn't allowed - they had been told to save water to save money. On the notice board there was a picture of some cute little animal, with a caption under it saying the National Park needed funds to look after it. I told him he ought to replace the photo of this animal with a photo of the Chief Exec. That really pushed his button and set him off on a tirade about how much the bosses were paid when workers like him had their overtime cut - and had even told him to turn the water pressure down to save water. He finished up going inside and turning the water pressure back up again for me to fill my water carriers faster. :D

. Have you thought of fronting our Brexit team :D

Archived