Manual or auto ?

Tom 588

So, is the latest fiat / hymer automatic ( comfortmatic ?) gearbox worth paying a premium for?

Are there any problems with it or is it purely a matter of taste?

Please , all thoughts, facts and opinions welcome.

I have always owned and driven vehicles with manual gear shifts.........but I might be persuaded !

Guest pelmetman

First thing to note is the Comfortmatic is not a traditional automatic, ie via a torque converter.......

So don't expect the seamless gear changes, or the useful creep when in traffic which you can get with a manual diesel ;-) .......

There have been several threads on this subject. The majority of Comfortmatic users are very happy with their choice and you might find many of the criticisms come from those who don't own one. The gearbox is not perfect but you can get used to it. The advantage of an auto (or robotised auto) is that the driving style is far more relaxing.

I have a van with Comfortmatic and I really like it and would definitely not want a manual. For me the auto makes the driving experience much more relaxing and helps lift it from a 'builders van'. I accept that it is not perfect, with a few minor foibles that have been discussed at length on the forum on other threads, but these issues are minor as far as Zi am concerned and in no way affect my enjoyment of using the auto gearbox. My car has an 8 speed torque converter gearbox which is far superior to the Comfortmatic so I can appreciate the differences but this still does not affect t my love of the auto. Yes, I would like it to be better than it is and it is expensive but it is what it is and I want an auto and am happy to pay the asking price for something that really adds to my enjoyment of what is an expensive toy.

I have had Automatic vehicles for almost 30 years now, ranging from cars with 4 to 9 speed torque converter automatics to MHs with Sprintshift (Mercedes) or Comfortmatic (Fiat) robotised manuals. I would never go back to a manual gearbox, despite the foibles of robotised manuals.

But the key issue is trust and what you are comfortable with. If you are fearful of making the change, it's probably better that you stick with the manual as no amount of persuasion from those of us happy with Comfortmatics will rid you of that reticence and, conversely, reading a few 'anti' Comfortmatic will reinforce your fears. Better the devil you know!

Hi ,

I would of like the comfortmatic but could only have my van based on Peugeot so had to have auto clutch fitted sometimes called click and go.

Basicly it presses the clutch pedal down and you shift the gears but it does creep in heavy traffic, not perfect but it does enable me to carry on driving with a mobility problem my cars an auto and I wouldn't go back to a manual gearbox even if I could.

Pete

Tom 588 - 2017-09-27 7:54 PM

So, is the latest fiat / hymer automatic ( comfortmatic ?) gearbox worth paying a premium for?

Are there any problems with it or is it purely a matter of taste?

Please , all thoughts, facts and opinions welcome.

I have always owned and driven vehicles with manual gear shifts.........but I might be persuaded !

If you want a "proper" auto, you'll need to look at Mercedes or Iveco based vans - though I don't know whether any of the small group of vans on the Iveco base are being offered with their new full auto as an option.

Tom. I wouldn't discount an auto Fiat Comfortmatic without trying one first. I wouldn't have anything but an automatic and found the Comfortmatic great as soon as you get used to it. Of course it doesn't compare that favorably with my Audi automatic car but it does more or less the same thing namely no clutch and the option to operate the vehicle in both manual and auto mode as well as giving a far more relaxing drive than the manual equivalent.

Tom 588 - 2017-09-28 10:38 AM

Mmm, having now read previous threads I'm inclined towards a manual box.

Doesn't look like a right or wrong thing, just preference.

Thanks all.

As others have said, it is not a proper automatic but it does have its good points.

For me, the difference is that if you expect it to drive as you do then you will be disappointed but, if you are prepared to 'learn' how the gearbox drives and work with it then it can be very good for the reasons others have said.

Personally, I have had several with the comfortmatic and have thoroughly enjoyed having it. I don't try to outsmart it but use it to its maximum potential. In the absence of a torque converter gearbox on the model of van I wanted this is a good alternative and has improved the long drive to Spain no end.

David

Fiat comfortmatic is a huge box whit pullout mechanical gears and a large garage bill in case of motorhomes running over their weight limits in the 3.5 class. In the Maxi fiat it is stronger as are their brakes. platform and driving train axles and their front sub frame. I puzzled the light and heavy out last winter in every part. Front and rear and extrapolated it to the US promaster. The other variants in europe are structural the same. The ford transit has a stronger rear axle and rear suspension. But that sits all down under who cares as a motorhomer.

Mike88 - 2017-09-28 2:33 PM

Tom. I wouldn't discount an auto Fiat Comfortmatic without trying one first. I wouldn't have anything but an automatic and found the Comfortmatic great as soon as you get used to it. Of course it doesn't compare that favorably with my Audi automatic car but it does more or less the same thing namely no clutch and the option to operate the vehicle in both manual and auto mode as well as giving a far more relaxing drive than the manual equivalent.

I too thought the VAG auto was brilliant until I got the flashing Spanner of Death symbol which tells you the Megatronics unit has failed and the bill will be close to £1700. My next one will be traded in when the warranty expires.

My van was bought from dealers stock and had comformatic fitted.

I wouldnt have chosen the comformatic gearbox option if I'd been setting the specification, cost etc but having driven 14000 miles in 2 years on the continent mainly, I would choose now to have the comformatic.

There are issues sometimes, eg slow gear change 1 to 2 when you go to pull away, it hangs on to a highre gear too long on a hill, but in many instances it gives you a much relaxing drive. Especially in slow moving traffic, there's no clutch pedal to worry about.

And you can always knock it into manual and change gear when you want, on hills for instance.

So I'm a convert ( and that's after bad experiences with the previous Mercedes sprintshift on the Sprinter)

cheers alan

Muswell - 2017-09-28 4:17 PM

I too thought the VAG auto was brilliant until I got the flashing Spanner of Death symbol which tells you the Megatronics unit has failed and the bill will be close to £1700. My next one will be traded in when the warranty expires.

As far as I can recall on the Audi Q3 forum there isn't a single issue relating to the DSG (wet) gearbox or associated electronics.

Like Alan, my van came with it fitted. It does what it is designed to do. I like it and accept its irritations. That said, I wouldn't pay for it unless you have mobility issues or do a lot of urban driving. There are better ways of spending £1500+.

Mike88 - 2017-09-28 4:49 PM

As far as I can recall on the Audi Q3 forum there isn't a single issue relating to the DSG (wet) gearbox or associated electronics.

Try this thread and read down a bit. You'll find the same with Golfs. I'm buying another because we must have an auto and it is a delight to drive but I won't have one out of warranty again.

http://www.q3ownersclub.co.uk/forum/stronic-transmission-problem_topic471.html

Muswell - 2017-09-28 6:24 PM

Mike88 - 2017-09-28 4:49 PM

Try this thread and read down a bit. You'll find the same with Golfs. I'm buying another because we must have an auto and it is a delight to drive but I won't have one out of warranty again.

http://www.q3ownersclub.co.uk/forum/stronic-transmission-problem_topic471.html

I wouldn't think that cases on 5 year old vehicles is statistically significant or enough to reach the conclusion that the gearbox and associated electronics is unreliable. There were several issues with the dry DSG gearbox but the problems were eliminated a few years later with the introduction of the wet DSG box - D500. There might be vehicles with the older box and I believe it was those referred to in the thread you highlight. You will note that my earlier post specified that the wet DSG box is not problematical.

Brian Kirby - 2017-09-28 1:59 PM

If you want a "proper" auto, you'll need to look at Mercedes or Iveco based vans - though I don't know whether any of the small group of vans on the Iveco base are being offered with their new full auto as an option.

It should be anticipated that any manufacturer marketing motorhomes based on the latest Iveco Daily will offer Iveco’s 8-speed “Hi-Matic” automatic gearbox as an option. The Le Voyageur model reviewed in MMM’s Sepember 2017 issue had that transmission. It hardly needs saying that any new motorhome that is Iveco-based will be large, ‘luxurious’ and far from inexpensive.

Also now available for the Transit Mk 8 and Transit Custom is Ford’s “SelectShift” 6-speed torque-converter automatic gearbox

http://vanfleetworld.co.uk/road-test-ford-transit-auto/

though I’ve yet to see any reviews of Transit Mk 8-based motorhomes with this transmission.

Regarding Fiat’s “ComfortMatic” gearbox, it seems to be generally accepted that (because of the motor’s technical characteristics) this transmission married most successfully with the 3.0litre motor that is no longer offered on Ducatos.

Ducato now comes in two flavours - ‘light’ or ‘’heavy’ - and the ‘light’ version has 15”-diameter wheels as standard or 16”-diameter wheels as an option. Choosing 16”-diameter wheels raises the vehicle’s overall gearing by around 9% and this increase may need to be borne in mind when a motorhome model based on a Ducato ‘light’ is a) quite large and heavy, b) has the least powerful 130bhp 2.3litre motor, and c) will have ComfortMatic.

Criticism’s of ComfortMatic’s behaviour usually stem from the transmission’s difficulty in full-auto mode to select appropriate gears on steep bendy hills and that overcoming this characteristic requires driver interaction. I don’t KNOW what ComfortMatic will do on a steep bendy hill when a Ducato ‘light’-based motorhome is heavy, has limited power and highish overall gearing, but I‘m guessing that the transmission will then be at its worst.

On our second van with a Comformatic love them, on the latest one the sluggish change for 1 to 2 second only happens very occasionally and the hill/load switch really does hold the gears longer when climbing and descending appears to work much better than my last van a 2014 model.

Don't criticise a Comformatic too harshly if you are driving one without a fully run in engine. The software is set up to work with a fully run in engine which Fiat consider to be 15,000 miles. The box definitely improved on my last van after 12-14,000 miles.

Also unless you are getting a very small van don't bother with the 130bhp go for a 150 or better still 180bhp engine. I wish I'd gone for the 180 it's a 2017 van I have the 150 and engine is loosing up now it's done a few thousand miles.

Archived