Internet abroad

stvekay

Advice please we are going tp France and only have old fashioned phones, there is a device Myfi?

Any recommendations I have looked at one on line but the data only lasts a month, I thought someone told me once there was one that lasts 3 months. We only use it for emails checking bank accounts, etc.

Also looking for a cheap way of using iit.

Thanks

Steve kelly

You need a data sim like this:

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/3-payg-3g-trio-data-sim-pack-incl-3gb-data.html

Then the easiest way to get online is buy a cheap 3g tablet, the sim will go straight in it and no more faffing.

Or if you've got one of those big old laptop things and you have the available payload, take that and then you'll need to buy a mifi device, but I don't know much about those.

As Charles as already stated perhaps the cheapest data purcase is a Three preloaded SIM purchased from My Memory. The 12GB version costs about £25 and importantly lasts for 12 months.

The Three "feel at home" service has been applauded on this site, for use in Europe. You must use in the UK first.

I have used a Vodafone USB stick modem in the UK. Selection of Vodafone was due to the fact that at the time of purchase Vodafone operated a PAYG rollover system. Coverage in the UK with Vodafone has only been moderate. For data you need 2G + Edge as a minimum.

On a recent trip to Scotland I used unexpired Vodafone SIM in a Huawei E5372 pocket mifi?, in conjunction with a Russian made combined external aeriel and mounting clip. The performance seemed to be better.

Alan

Suggest you look at this website for information https://www.motorhomewifi.com/catalog/3g/

We bought Pack 1, admittedly not cheap but we didn't know anything about Mifi at the time and the site provides good backup support. You can purchase the Mifi device separately as you don't really need all the other accessories although we've used the booster aerial in areas of poor mobile phone reception. The free Huawei app is very useful for changing the mobile phone provider when outside UK.

We link the Mifi device to a cheap tablet (only capable of receiving wi-fi signals) and a laptop (wi-fi enabled).

We use a prepaid/preloaded 12Gb 3 data SIM in the Mifi device which lasts 12 months BUT can only be used outside the UK for 3 months at a time, allegedly. On your return to UK you need to use it immediately (just once) so the 3 months restriction is reset. We travel with a second data SIM so if we exceed the 3 months away, we just pop the reserve SIM into the Mifi device. And yes, you can activate the reserve SIM whilst outside the UK......Or so I've been reliably informed.

Probably the cheapest solution for the OP is to use campsite wi-fi but I wouldn't use it for online banking because of security issues.

Guest pelmetman

My contract 3 feel at home service stopped working after 3 months abroad, and didn't restart until we got back 8-) ....

Fortunately we had a PYG sim card as well ;-) ........

Robbo - 2017-09-29 4:24 PM

We use a prepaid/preloaded 12Gb 3 data SIM in the Mifi device which lasts 12 months BUT can only be used outside the UK for 3 months at a time, allegedly. On your return to UK you need to use it immediately (just once) so the 3 months restriction is reset. .

No, I think you are wrong there, if you buy from 3 then yes but if you buy from mymemory there is no restriction. We have been using this data sim since last January in Portugal and still have a lot of data left.

Randonneur - 2017-09-29 4:41 PM

Robbo - 2017-09-29 4:24 PM

We use a prepaid/preloaded 12Gb 3 data SIM in the Mifi device which lasts 12 months BUT can only be used outside the UK for 3 months at a time, allegedly. On your return to UK you need to use it immediately (just once) so the 3 months restriction is reset. .

No, I think you are wrong there, if you buy from 3 then yes but if you buy from mymemory there is no restriction. We have been using this data sim since last January in Portugal and still have a lot of data left.

Haha, I knew there would be some users who would claim longer periods of use outside UK - that's why I included "allegedly" (meaning ± either way). Interestingly, I purchase from mymemory but generally don't overstay more than 3 months - so you could well be right :-D

Why not just bite the bullet and get some, or one new smart phone on pay as you go, and load it up with credit for airtime data?

That's what we do. Internet roaming abroad now is as cheap as in U.K. and the 3G signal in our experience is vastly superior to here in UK. We've had no problems for the last month in France using Giffgaff, our provider.

Everyone who has BT home Broadband has, by default, a router which acts as a free wi-fi hot spot for all others on the network. I use it throughout the UK, but haven't been abroad since I got it, so don't know what the coverage is like there. But its advertised as the biggest wi-fi network in the world - and its free to those of us with BT Broadband :-D

PS: It tends to work best in the vicinity of houses - I nearly always get a signal but often not where you would expect. I have got great wifi in remote highlands for example. But its crap in Hull because most people have Kingston Communications instead of BT. Probably wouldn't be much good on campsites because if there are any houses nearby their broadbank routers would be used to capacity - you only get the capacity the householder is not using so if they are watching catch up TV or something using a lot of capacity you get little or none.

As an aside, has anyone else noticed this possible downside to the free EU roaming that is now actice: our devices seem less willing to search all providers for the best signal and seem to try to hang onto a preferred partner's signal?

For example our Tesco/O2 phones always select Bouyges Telecom in France even if stronger signals exist.

Likewise the EE mifi will always default to Orange it's partner company.

Both are set to automatic network selection.

It seems there's less flexibility than before.

I recently walked the Camino Frances to Santiago. The only piece of electronic kit I carried was my iphone on EE which gave me internet access everywhere I walked and stayed. Plus with the Kindle app I was able to download daily both of my newspapers and linked to my Fitbit I was able to track my level of activity etc.

Bite the bullet, dump the bricks and get yourselves a pair of decent smart phones on a contact with enough da. Then you can do what we do, laugh at folks trotting off across a site with a lump of a laptop trying to get a signal.

Motorhome wifi has not been great for me. 3 have restrictions limiting service to 3g in spain AT BEST. At £300 I wish I had bought a 4G tablet and shared the connection. This is what I have had do do when motorhome wifi won't work. EE has worked ok in spain and Portugal for me . 4G some days .. then 2G ! If you're not desperate about motorhome wifi just use the site wifi in the bar and enjoy a glass of wine on the money you saved !

I have a 'mifi' dongle with Three, which is on a monthly contract. This gives me 'free' roaming in many countries around the world, inc US and NZ, and only limited is the amount of GB within my contract. I also find it useful in UK, where 'normal' wifi is not good, or has to be paid for..eg many campsites.

I use it abroad mainly in France, and general it is reliable, though like many providers there is no Three network and it will link up to there 'preferred' network.

IOt does give good cover for my mobile phone, also my wife's mobile, plus I can use it for the computer when away from home - or even at home when my BT line often goes down, or sometimes if I want a better/ independent signal for eg updating Tomtom!!

i have a Vodafone Red sim only monthly contract and for £15 a month i get unlimited minutes and texts (all,over europe) and have negotiated an extra 1gb per month over the 'std' 4gb with the padkage.

so, in the uk, i get 5gb of data each month.

however, in europe, Vodafone also gives its customers 2gb of 'european' data, so i have, in fact, 7gb per month for every month here in the sunshine...

i wasnt actually sure how this worked but, having just used up the 2gb Euro data, the data counter on my phone app is now (26 days into the charging 'month') starting to show some data being used....so, effectively, i still have almost 5gb left.

reception on this 6 week tour has been really very good with a decent 3g signal available everywhere except in the deepest Dordogne...

...and as we can also tether both our ipads to the iphone, we can share this data.

no need for mifi or other fancy gadgets/systems....plus extra cost...

I believe the 12GB Three payg sims are only good for 9GB when used abroad now and this was in response to the EU roaming changes.

http://support.three.co.uk/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBISAPI.DLL?Command=New,Kb=Mobile,Ts=Mobile,T=Article,varset_cat=internetapps,varset_subcat=3583,Case=obj(3833)

Also the ones I have purchased from mymemory in the past I have been able to activate when overseas (Australia and Germany)

It depends how much internet you need but for us it is just a catch up on emails and FB so we use Mcdonalds in France (all outlets have Free WiFi )and in Spain 99% of bars have free WiFi just ask for the Contrasena (Password ) when you order coffee ..... Job done

bolero boy - 2017-10-03 7:35 AM

i have a Vodafone Red sim only monthly contract and for £15 a month i get unlimited minutes and texts

...and as we can also tether both our ipads to the iphone, we can share this data.

Is this just for Vodaphone?

I am with 3 and have an unlimited data, text & minutes (30GB tethering limit in UK) package. When I was in France this year, I was not able to tether my laptop to my phone. I phoned 3 while in France and they told me that tethering is not available outside of the UK even on unlimited packages. I could not even buy a data "add-on".

I didn't have my MiFi dongle with me to see if my SIM card would work in it.

yoko8pups - 2017-10-03 11:56 AM

Huawei

3G WiFi Hotspot White

Must be UNLOCKED about £30 on eBay

used it all over with an EE sim

Same here but I paid £45 for the 3G/4G version but I haven't seen 4G since Calais so I think that the 3G version is good enough for France at least.

Regarding tethering to a phone vs. mifi, one nice feature of the mifi is that it takes a micro SD card that can be used as common storage by all connected devices, just like having a USB drive as a network resource in your router at home. We're using this to upload and store our photos from the trip whether they were taken on cameras, phones, tablets or even occasionally the dashcam.

Another vote for the EE data sim here. 6GB/90 days about £15 from ebay and genuinely no usage restrictions. Can even be activated whilst abroad. For low data users, like ourselves, get the preloaded 200MB/30 day sims from ebay at under 25p each (bought x6) so less £1/GB. Use one up, bin it, stick in the next and activate it. I'm sending this using one at the moment.

plwsm2000 - 2017-10-03 9:09 PM

bolero boy - 2017-10-03 7:35 AM

i have a Vodafone Red sim only monthly contract and for £15 a month i get unlimited minutes and texts

Is this just for Vodaphone?

I am with 3 and have an unlimited data, text & minutes (30GB tethering limit in UK) package. When I was in France this year, I was not able to tether my laptop to my phone. I phoned 3 while in France and they told me that tethering is not available outside of the UK even on unlimited packages. I could not even buy a data "add-on".

I didn't have my MiFi dongle with me to see if my SIM card would work in it.

dont know the answer im afraid, just know that i have 7gb each month im here to use as i plaeas, back home just the 5gb

so, say 6 months abroad and 6 at home thats 72gb to use, thether etc...

cant see the need for a mifi or similar

Archived