Sat setup

Pete-B

Hi, Bought myself a sat-dish to take with us in the van and have no experience at all with them. The instructions say go to www.dishpointer,com and find your bearings for Astra 28.2. I can't find this satellite in the drop down menu, am I just being a bit thick here?

The 28.2 relates to it's position in the sky ie. 28.2 degrees east of south. In that position you'll get Astra 2

So in your dishfinder app look for Astra 2. Depending on where you are located the angle to the satellite will vary. So in London it will be 146 degree bearing whereas in Glasgow it will be 143 degrees. It will also give you the dish elevation.

Hi, any astra2 as they are all in same position. They are located at 28.2 degrees east of due south at the Greenwich meridian and I assume that you have a satfinder squealy box which you connect between the lnb block on the aerial dish, and the receiver and it has a sensitivity knob to adjust the noise.. you adjust the aerial direction a little at a time both in azimuth and elevation until the squaly box meter shows max reading.

Tonyg3nwl

As Tony mentioned, it makes life easier if you purchase a cheap sat finder meter like this to fine tune the alignment of the dish:

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/satellite-finder-a96fg?cmpid=ppc:pim_products:pla:google&gclid=CjwKCAjw6szOBRAFEiwAwzixBb931-P36dcvHd8Uk9DMXRhq9xgvmfpLWNYjf85EWN2evtE1CWRJDBoCUO8QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

You connect it between the dish and digibox OR dish and TV (if it has an inbuilt satellite decoder).

The coaxial cable will have a voltage so before you disconnect the sat finder meter it's advisable to unplug the digibox or TV to avoid frying the electronics. Once the sat finder is removed you connect a flylead to rejoin the dish to the digibox/TV. You can purchase pushin F-connectors which makes the process much easier rather than having to screw in the F-connector every time.

If you have a sky digibox it has it's own signal meter which you can get to by using a sequence of keys.

When aligning to Astra 2 it's best to approach from the south because the Eurobird satellite is at 28.5.

If you have further questions just ask.

Did the OP have a receiver with his satellite dish. If not If he is using a Skybox as his receiver he should be prepared for the inbuilt delay which makes tuning in to the correct satellite particularly difficult. Free to air receivers often have an inbuilt satellite finder and are far easier because as soon as you lock on to thecorrect satellite a programme is seen instantaneously.

I have found that some sat finders tell you when you are on the satellite but no picture is obtained because it is the wrong one.

My Avtex TV supports 'Easyfind' so the purchace of an Easyfind LNB makes finding the satellite so simple a signal can be found and set up in minutes. The Easyfind LNB also has the advantage of staying in the system without having to remove it like you do with most other satellite finders.

Archived