Certificate of conformity

Tom 588

I guess it might not still exist , but here:

https://www.gov.uk/nova-log-in

It says

"Before you start:

To use this service you need a Government Gateway user ID and password. If you do not have a user ID, you can create one when you use the service."

So maybe they haven't taken this notice down despite the gateway not existing any longer. It wouldn't be the first time that a website did not reflect reality! OR it does still exist, I guess I'll have to wait and see once I have the van in the UK.

The NOVA system stil allows signing in using an existing Government Gateway user-ID and password (I’ve jiust tried it) though an additional level of security checking then needs to be set up (see image attached below).

Looking back at Lennyhb’s earlier postings in which he refers to the NOVA system, it appears that he had some sort of problem when he imported a motorhome in 2014.

Regarding the NOVA system, in 2017 Lennyhb advised “if you already have a Government Gateway, don't use it open a new one or you will have grief. That was nearly 3 years ago and no explanation as to what the ‘grief’ might be was given.

As the NOVA system clearly permits an existing Government Gateway user-ID and password to be used to sign in, I can’t see why obtaining a new user-ID and password should be necessary or what ‘grief’ using an existing user-ID and password might cause. On the other hand, if it is proves possible to obtain a new Government Gateway user-ID and password and to use those data for signing into the NOVA system, I can’t see that alternative approach causing problems either.

(I’d just sign in using my existing Government Gateway user-ID and password as the on-line procedure clearly encourages people to use that method if they are in a position to do so.)

NOVA.png.63cc9eb0ffbaa34345b35d1738138b05.png

• 2 months later...

The difficulty I am having is that when I log into the Government Gateway using my Gateway ID, (followed by the access code sent to my mobile number), I end up on a page that only has information about my personal taxation, my government pension and my National Insurance.

No links to anything about NOVA,

even though I got to the log-in page by following a link on this NOVA page

https://www.gov.uk/nova-log-in .

It is a mystery.

I will call them in the morning and see if they can shed light on what seems to be a systemic system authentication issue.

• 1 month later...
Derek Uzzell - 2020-02-19 1:42 PM

Looking back at Lennyhb’s earlier postings in which he refers to the NOVA system, it appears that he had some sort of problem when he imported a motorhome in 2014.

Regarding the NOVA system, in 2017 Lennyhb advised “if you already have a Government Gateway, don't use it open a new one or you will have grief. That was nearly 3 years ago and no explanation as to what the ‘grief’ might be was given.

As the NOVA system clearly permits an existing Government Gateway user-ID and password to be used to sign in, I can’t see why obtaining a new user-ID and password should be necessary or what ‘grief’ using an existing user-ID and password might cause. On the other hand, if it is proves possible to obtain a new Government Gateway user-ID and password and to use those data for signing into the NOVA system, I can’t see that alternative approach causing problems either.

(I’d just sign in using my existing Government Gateway user-ID and password as the on-line procedure clearly encourages people to use that method if they are in a position to do so.)

Just a (not very) brief update:

I have just completed payment of the VAT on my imported van.

The good news is that I completed the paperwork and submitted it online via the NOVA gateway, using a previously registered Government Gateway user-ID and password.

The better news is that I completed the submission late on Thursday the 25th June and had received the invoice, paid the VAT and received a receipt by Weds July 1st. In any circumstances I would consider this exemplary service, never mind when the current disruption is taken into account, with staff largely working from home. The several telephone and email interactions I had directly with the Personal Transport Unit (PTU) in Belfast were concise, clear, and accurate, and the best customer service I have had for years.

However: The reason I had quite so many emails and phone calls in the space of four working days was mainly because the although the NOVA gateway works the "Your services area" of HMRC is not properly integrated with NOVA. See below if you really really must. It's a thriller!

Some months ago, in anticipation of importing the new van, I tested the log-in routine to the NOVA gateway using my pre-existing Government Gateway ID. I did this specifically because of the issue raised in 2017 by Lennyhb and referenced above. The gateway failed and instead of delivering me to the NOVA form delivered me to my personal, "Your HMRC Services”, area on the HMRC website. This had details of my NI contributions, state pension etc, but nothing to do with NOVA. At the time I registered this as a fault through the web feedback service. Subsequent testing of the NOVA log-in a couple of weeks ago revealed that the problem appeared to be fixed.

The van arrived in the UK last Thursday. I logged in successfully, completed the form and submitted it. So far so good. I then received two emails. The first acknowledged the submission.

The second provided me with the NOVA registration number (NOVA **********) and indicated there was a message for me in the "Your HMRC Services” area of the HMRC website.

It is at this point that things failed. I located by a Google search, (since no direct link is provided in the email), the "Your HMRC Services area of the HMRC website" and logged-in, only to find myself looking at my NI contributions and pension information, with no messages in the Message Area at all.

After some back and forth with technical support, who seemed well aware of the problem, I was given the email and phone numbers of the Personal Transport Unit (PTU) in Belfast. Several short calls and a few emails later, and after providing further invoice information confirming the value of the vehicle, they let me know by email the amount of VAT due, I paid by online bank transfer, and sent a confirmatory screen shot, and got a receipt: All in three working days.

It was clear in telephone conversations that this is a long standing and known IT issue. It appears that the web authentication service does not work across all the services that the label, "Government Gateway", would imply it should. I'll leave it at that.

Lastly, even though the personal interactions were smooth and quick, needless to say every time the PTU staff touched a button, clicked on a link, or even looked at their systems, I received an email informing me that there was a message for me in the "Your HMRC Services” area of the HMRC website. Which was annoying but at least prompted me to phone them up and to find out what the message was.

So it is busted, it does need fixing, but the telephone/email workaround is fine. And the person to person service, as previously mentioned, exemplary, especially as they have would appear to have been having to deal with this fault, which only happens to some people, for three years or more.

I cannot confirm, but my guess is that if you do not have an existing Government Gateway ID, and the first time you apply for one is in order to make the NOVA submission, then everything may work and you may be able to access the NOVA related messages in the "Your HMRC Services” area of the HMRC website. But if you do already have a pre-existing Government Gateway ID be prepared to get on the phone and bypass the web-based messaging service.

This is all extremely boring but I thought I'd better write it up because someone else might be as panicky as I am about completing things on-line and on-time. The good news is the Personal Transport Unit is very good at their job. In my experience at least.

Hope this helps.

Archived