Is age all in the mind?

longtemps

We motorhomers are generally an intrepid bunch. Bright eyed and bushy tailed is our morning mantra, is it not! However, I have often wondered what is the average age of the majority of us is and what is the intended and of course approximate time when we will be emptying our final toilet cassette and hanging up our rubber gloves!

What a great question,and I would think a hard one to answer,there are so many questions to answer first.

I was born in 1946 (71) and this is my first year with a Motorhome and I ask myself the same question and more.Was I mad at this age?I was always self employed and had no time to play golf etc,I didn't retire until last year on my birthday at 70 .I lam slim 11 stone,no major health issues,active,I can still jump under the van and do most of my own work,I feel 50 ish,I hope to keep it until I am 80.I did have a caravan for 2 years before I retired and changed it for the Elddis ( 2004 400rl) it is under 20 feet long,easy to drive.

My age is part of the reason we bought an old van as we are not sure it is suitable for us at our age starting.Are there many people still Motorhoming in their late 70's or 80's or am I dreaming.

Kevin

I'll just keep going till I cannot do it anymore, how long that will be who knows. I had 'penciled in' plans till my 76th year, but that's a long way off and I could keel over tomorrow, so I'll take it as it comes.

I had planned to retire at 60, but things changed and I had opportunity to work pretty much as and when I feel like it within reason and I find this good as my job is generally quite interesting, I had settled into this when gf announced she will be dragging me off around the world again next year.

Kevin/1946 - 2017-10-10 9:07 AM

What a great question,and I would think a hard one to answer,there are so many questions to answer first.

I was born in 1946 (71) and this is my first year with a Motorhome and I ask myself the same question and more.Was I mad at this age?I was always self employed and had no time to play golf etc,I didn't retire until last year on my birthday at 70 .I lam slim 11 stone,no major health issues,active,I can still jump under the van and do most of my own work,I feel 50 ish,I hope to keep it until I am 80.I did have a caravan for 2 years before I retired and changed it for the Elddis ( 2004 400rl) it is under 20 feet long,easy to drive.

My age is part of the reason we bought an old van as we are not sure it is suitable for us at our age starting.Are there many people still Motorhoming in their late 70's or 80's or am I dreaming.

Kevin

We started motorhoming at 70 having decided we where too old to carry on sailing to France/channel islands, and getting WET Still at it 11 years on, and just back from a 5 week trip to Spain/France

We are "playing it by ear" now, It all depends on health more than any thing. I don't plan ahead any more, not even sure what we are doing for Xmas yet!!

PJay

Kind of different issue, I am in my late 50,s. - Just started motorhome-ing in the last 18 months and enjoying it. My wife is disabled, mostly wheel chair bound, and to be honest my body feels like it's 70. - After aprox 40 years of work, the first 20 or so in manual trades, the letter 20 in front of a computer, plus a significant motorcycle accident 10 years ago, - It isn't in the best condition. The mind is very sharp but the body less so. My pension date has been pushed out to 67 by the government, don't really have the means to retire so will need to struggle on for a few years yet. How I am going to make it for those extra years - don't know.

Currently doing fine, no plans to stop. - however wondering for how much longer we will be able to keep up the lifestyle, guess after a time it all becomes too much work. - I think it's all relative and will be different for each respondent.

The specific age at which you feel the need to give up will depend on health and the capability to drive a MH - and also on where you want to do your touring.  I'm still enjoying Western Europe without real limitation but I've no ambition to go to Morocco and very little appetite for Croatia. 

I gave up motorcycling when I began to feel my reactions were slowing and  I was facing more risk so I suspect an equivalent process might lead me to want to be less adventurous and to stop driving a MH abroad and perhaps also eventually in U.K., we'll see.  I'm 72 now, so maybe when I'm around 80. Insurance becomes more difficult to get as you get older so maybe that will be a factor too. 

We have been motorhoming since 1980, and are both now 73.

I am inspired by a number of people that we have met, during our travels, who are still motorhoming, well into their 80's, so we have no plans to stop.

I remember MMM, and it's previous publication, at the time when the late John Hunt, was the editor.

Each issue, was waited for, in anticipation. It was a time when there were far more "hands on" articles, for the far more prevelant diy campers, of the day.

Now that I've been retired for over 12yrs, we have the time for extended trips, living in the van for nearly half of the year. The rest of the time seems to be spent servicing, and carrying out the continuous stream of repairs, that ensue.

That is the price, for having a German engineered van! The Renault base vehicle has been superb.

We sold our van recently, and are now looking for a suitable lightweight caravan to tow behind our Skoda Fabia Combi . The decision was taken, not because I felt I was no longer able to drive or maintain and generally manage the van when we used it, but because I feel that I can no longer risk having to spend too much time walking about and travelling by public transport or bike.if we wish to go sightseeing etc.

As I approach my 80th birthday I feel pretty good. I retired from work 3 years ago and have spent most of the ensuing time restoring this heap of stones that we bought in southern France, which has turned out to be much more physically demanding than being in full time employment, but the ankles and back now tell me when I've done enough. I felt we either had to get a car to tow behind then van, which is not permitted for French registered vehicles, or get a van to tow behind the car.

I can manage everything else,it's what we do when we get there that was our problem.

AGD

To AGD.

We sold our Avondale Rialto 480 to buy the Motorhome,it was a perfect size caravan for 2 people,it was 4.8 meters long easy to tow,easy to heat, 2 SINGLE'S or 1 large DOUBLE,DON'T buy a van unless it has motor movers,this is a MUST.also get a 150 watt solar panel fitted,this makes it easy to use.Our van had the seating at the back with a full bathroom at the front with a full shower.

The best of look

Kevin

Have you heard the expression "the mind is willing but the flesh is weak"

I was lucky enough to be able to retire from full time work at age 52 , with a redundancy package that enabled us to down size our property, move back t o childhood base area, buy our retirement bungalow, and for first 4 summerseasons, undertake a summer job in France..

We have had caravans since our children were preschool age, , then changed to motorhomes in form of a Stargazer new 58 plate . Subsequent to that, we have changed several times, but now back onto an 09 plated Stargazer.

approaching the age of 80 next year, and having a minor inconvenient medical issue necessitating frequent visits to bathroon approx every 3 hours , day and night, means that my driving alertness is giving cause for concern, and restricting distances travelled between necessary stops..

I am therefore in the category of mind still being willing, but ......

We did have a brief look at vw campervans a couple of weeks ago, but decided against changing..too expensive,, and recognise that we way be obliged to give up in the not too distant future.

We are attending a rally at the weekend, so see how that goes.

Tonyg3nwl.

Guest pelmetman
yoko8pups - 2017-10-10 12:58 PM

Wait till you get to 70! You'll still feel 55!

I'm 59 and I currently feel 80 after 6 months of renovating our house for rental 8-) ........

I'm well into my 80th year and the duchess is five years behind and we've just got back today from a week in Suffolk. Whilst there, we walked on four days doing a total of 60 miles and went out on the bikes another day and did just under 40 miles ( swmbo's got a Garmin Edge which can be used on the bike or when walking to track distance and route etc..

We've both been lucky so far health wise (cross everything) but we also work hard at it, we try to eat healthily and we both enjoy exercise so we don't have a time when we plan to stop. It's in the lap of the god's and the insurance companies who I hope will continue to give us cover.

We're hoping to spend two days at the NEC next week and looking forward to that.

Archived