Coastal visit not far from Dartford??

kevandali

Hi All

We are away in the van for next Fri, Sat, Sun and Monday.
My better half is working in Dartford on the Monday, so the plan is to visit the coast on Sat and Sun then drop the better half off at work and have another coastal day with the pooche on the Monday.

So any ideas at all where to go? Not worried about specific campsites just places to visit, I am sure we'll find somewhere to stay over.
Thanks in advance.
Kevandali :-)

I suppose it depends on what you want to do and what you consider not far. Sheppey has lots of coastline. Not much there but is reckoned to be pretty good if birdwatching is your thing. Moving east there's little in the way of accessible coastline until you get to Whitstable. Shingle beach, good fishmonger in the harbour, and the usual cafes, chip shops etc. Herne Bay a few miles further has a pier (though I imagine most of the businesses on it will be closed for the winter) and, if you're interested in such things, a memorial to Barnes Wallace. Reculver, a few miles east of Herne Bay, has the remains of a Roman fort and of a 12 century church. There's a pub but not much else. I think the car park has height barriers, but it should be possible to park on the road. From Reculver there is a very nice coastal walk along the sea wall. If none of that floats your boat, you're left with Thanet, about one hours drive from Dartford. Plenty of scope for walking on the beaches and a couple of interesting aviation museums at Manston, one of which has a spitfire and a Hurricane, but not much else.

If you want anything more specific let me know and I'll try to help.

Thanks for that, think we are going to try Whitstable but will also look at Herne Bay.

Coastal walking with the pooche is on the cards so will also look at Thanet.
We have two mountain bikes and a dog charriot that we drag along when too busy for the pooch to run about so will also have a look for any coastal cycle routes as well, thanks again for the help.

The cycle route from Reculver to Thanet is very pleasant. It runs along the top of the sea wall for around four miles (hard level surface with no hills) to Birchington. From there it continues mostly along the promenade as far as Margate, another four miles, with just one on-road section of about half a mile. It continues around the coast to Ramsgate, but I don't know exactly what route that part takes or how much is on the road. As I said before, I think you'd find somewhere to park at Reculver, but if not there is plenty of parking at the other end, particularly Minnis Bay, which is the other end of the sea wall section. Plenty of public toilets and refreshment stops between Minnis Bay and Margate.

Archived