Insurance green card

tomag

After the astonishing price rise for the green card from comfort [the insurance was good at £290 ] and the silly price quote from Safeguard £565 have tried several other motorhome insurance companies caravan wise ,C C C , Axa , and none seem to do the green card for morocco does anyone know which companies do the green card apart from the ones mentions

Insurance companies are cutting the "extras" to reduce the headline premiums, especially for price comparison sites. Green cards are now an expensive extra, although you get minimum cover in the eu (at least until brexit) and driving someone else's car is now missing from most policies. Morocco and other non eu countries are definitely getting more difficult to insure for. And now ADAC seem to have withdrawn from the uk market.

Good luck.

Billggski - 2017-10-18 3:59 PM....................Green cards are now an expensive extra, although you get minimum cover in the eu (at least until brexit) .........................

Good luck.

Apologies for the snip, but I don't think the above is right Bill. UK insurances are fully operative throughout the EU, and no Green card is required. (Suitable wording is usually provided on the reverse of the certificate of insurance). If you have UK full comprehensive insurance, that degree of cover will apply throughout the EU, and many policies (if not all) will additionally cover the Isle of Man, Channel Islands, Albania, Andorra, Bosnia Herzegovina, Gibraltar, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Macedonia, Monaco, Montenegro, Norway, San Marino, Serbia, Switzerland, and European Turkey. However, the Territorial Limits applicable will be those listed in the individual insurance policy document, and may vary from the above.

Interesting point about post Brexit cover! The present scope of cover for EU countries is the result of an EU directive. Who knows what will apply after we've left?

Hi

Not really about Morocco but green cards.

We drove down to Montenegro and Albania a couple of years ago. I was unable to get a green card for Albania or Montenegro from my insurance company.

Part of the problem is that you already have your vehicle insured in the UK and are stuck with that insurance company, unless you change insurance company at the last minute, once you know where you are going.

We had to buy the green card at the border for each country. Of course that means THIRD PARTY insurance only. It was quite worrying driving £40000 worth of vehicle without the vehicle itself being insured.

However it all went well and we had no problems.

So what I am really wanting to say is that if you plan to tour outside the EU, then you need to buy your insurance when it needs renewing with that in mind, and check that the green card will be available before hand. However don't be surprised if it is difficult to find an insurer who will insure your vehicle and provide green cards!

Trevor

Hi Brian, when insured fully comp with Churchill last year I assumed, as you have, that this covered me for the same level in the eu. It did not, it only gave minimum third party cover outside the UK, so I had to pay extra. Driving someone else's car was also excluded in the small print.

Needless to say, when comparing cover this year I specifically looked for automatic fully comp cover when abroad. The AA was one of very few that provided it. You had to specify it in your quote for most companies. It's one way they get to the top of the list on price comparison sites.

Thanks Bill. It seems it is not as clear as I had, up to your reply, understood.

We are with Comfort. Their policy states:

"In addition to the minimum cover, full cover as described by your policy applies in all countries as defined in the Territorial limits" There follow 4 provisos (paraphrased) that

A) the van must be kept in UK

B) visits abroad must not be permanent

C) if the van will be out of your custody for more than 36 hours, you must notify Comfort, and

D) if the van will be used outside the Territorial limits, a 120 day green card with additional cover (and presumably premium) must be obtained.

I had previously understood that any insurance sold in UK on a full comp basis was required to extend the same level of cover at least within the EU. Seemingly not.

The fact that cover is reduced once out of the UK should be highlighted in the policy. If it is not, I think an enquiry should be made of the Insurance Ombudsman as to the acceptability of Churchill's form of contract.

I think it should also be made clear as to exactly what extent of cover is offered outside the UK, as the common level in most EU states is third party only (so fire and theft would not be covered), but one would also need to know how third party is interpreted in the various states.

However, it seems folk should carefully check their policies to see if any other insurers are making similar exclusions.

As this is important, perhaps they could add to this string with the names of those who reduce cover outside UK?

TrevorT - 2017-10-19 10:06 AM.......................So what I am really wanting to say is that if you plan to tour outside the EU, then you need to buy your insurance when it needs renewing with that in mind, and check that the green card will be available before hand. However don't be surprised if it is difficult to find an insurer who will insure your vehicle and provide green cards!

Trevor

There is another point to take into account. Some countries outside the EU inspect vehicles for signs of accident damage at the exit border point and, if damage is found and there is no record of corresponding damage noted at the entry border point, may impound the vehicle on suspicion that it has been involved in a hit-and-run accident.

It is important to understand which countries apply this practise, and also to ensure that its condition on entry is noted and recorded at the entry point, and that you get a copy of that record. I gather this has not always been as straightforward as it is supposed to be! :-D

It’s a while since I worked in the field however it was my understanding that EU wide insurance law required the UK motor insurance companies to automatically extend insurance cover to the minimum required in each member State – ie Third Party cover only. Comprehensive cover is optional as it is in the UK. Some insurance companies may offer automatic comprehensive cover throughout Europe. I suspect that most do not. Insuring my van was the first time I’d experienced comprehensive European cover to be included automatically. On all my car insurances over the years with numerous underwriters it has been an optional extra.

tomag - 2017-10-18 10:57 AM

After the astonishing price rise for the green card from comfort [the insurance was good at £290 ] and the silly price quote from Safeguard £565 have tried several other motorhome insurance companies caravan wise ,C C C , Axa , and none seem to do the green card for morocco does anyone know which companies do the green card apart from the ones mentions.

Scenic........https://www.scenicinsurance.co.uk/motorhome-insurance/

They cover virtually every country and provide the card free, which other companies charge for so it's a 'no brainer' really. I changed to Scenic around five years ago purely for the green card but also their premium was the best price too and each year since i've never managed to get a better renewal quote elsewhere.

After some great advice from someone on another site went back to Safeguard and first quote today was £100 less , then said I had a quote from saga which was less so then got another 15% and they could use my N C D which I had with them before I switched to Comfort [as Comfort will only give you N C D for the time you have been with them ] . So £100 less than Comfort insurance with my two months green card and also got 12 months green card with Safeguard and breakdiown

daviddwight - 2017-10-20 9:54 PM

, when we went to Morocco we asked about green card and they said we did not need one as Morocco is classed as Europe.

Classed as europe??? Really!

How come so many of the illegals are coming from there then?

PJay

It's got nothing to do with migrants, Pauline, legal or otherwise. It has to do with which countries are included in the underwriter's definition of Territorial Limits. That will be as stated in the policy documents.

Wherever they started their journeys (and very few start from Morocco), almost all migrants to UK come "from" France, and that is definitely part of Europe. That doesn't alter the legal status of the migrants, and it doesn't alter whether full comprehensive insurance is available on UK registered vehicles visiting France.

I suspect that what the underwriters (insurers) mean is that Morocco is classed as the same risk class as continental Europe so no additional premium would be required. It’s a reminder that in the absence of legislation, underwriters will set their own T&C’s including applicable territorial limits. It’s why we all avidly read the policy wording before we sign up.

Archived