Diesel spill

Pete-B

Hi, I've got a 2015 Bessacarr E462 with euro 5 engine. I filled up with diesel today and because the pump price was 7p a litre cheaper than anywhere else, I filled right up. I then drove 20 miles home and after about 1 hour went to move the van and noticed diesel stains on the drive. There didn't seem to be any overflow from the filler cap so my question is, where did it come from? I wondered if there was a overflow from the tank itself!

Thanks for any help.

In the drivers handbooks nobody reads it tells you to stop filling after the first click.

If you don't leave an air space its liable to slop over out the overflow - especially if it warms up and expands. - but at least diesel on the floor won't ignite like petrol.

Pete-B - 2017-10-18 7:45 PM

Hi, Not a heavy stain but I guess nearly the width of the van and the same the other way.

That's big! If that was a diesel leak it would be a puddle not mearly a stain. I remember my defender having a similar size puddle under it, I dipped my fingers in it and sniffed them to confirm it was diesel. Turned out the diesel tank was rotten. Remember diesel doesn't evaporate like petrol so whatever comes out sits on the drive.

I think we can eliminate rotten diesel tank because its plastic.

Could be faulty forecourt pump nozzle that does not cut out as early as it should, 'helping' to overfill the tank.

PS: as an afterthought the tank is mounted low - hope it hasn't grounded and got damaged?

@john-stephen-brown

19 Oct 2017 09:57:14AM

297 posts

Thought this may be interesting someone posted on the Swift forum

When Filling up brimming is not recommended by any vehicle manufacture as an air gap should be left in the tank. The air gap serves as an expansion facility to allow the fuel to expand. Generally fuel volumes and Specific Gravity is measured at 15c so with the weather being warmer it can soon increase in volume with expansion. Also with the modern common rail diesel the fuel system circulates between engine and fuel tank as the fuel acts as coolant to the injection system, so increasing the tank temp and volume. Most systems have a positive pressure relief safety system and it would appear from your description a small volume has exited through the vent. An egg cup full of diesel spreads over a considerable area

EJB - 2017-10-19 10:29 AM

Never come across the overflow theory.

When I open my filler cap there is always a negative pressure in the tank....unless the overflow has an air tight one way valve?

Interesting? ;-)

I thought the same but but apparently its pressure escaping.

Quote from Ducato - Fiat Forum

""Absoloutely normal. I have a 2003 2.8JTD and made the same assumption.

Its not a vacuum, its a pressure build-up as the excess diesel is returned into the tank. There's actually an explanation in the Owner's Manual, (which I failed to see). That's what the hiss is upon opening the filler cap.""

B-)

I had large spills on one occasion at my hometown petrol station There was a que behind me but clean up was not an option. A young girl behind me steps into the diesel splash whit brand new shoes when looking in my mirror and side camera.. The problem was that a fiat ducato fuel tank fill system in an integral motorhome has a wall inter face which is not fiat connected to fiat. In that interface the leak happens being a quality failure check of burstner. And there was not a first click.by the small pressure tube in the fill.. *I suggest the flwg: Questions: 1/ why the fill pump stops when full,what is the function of the fuel closing cap besides of keeping the fuel inside the tank, Did you have an idea how your fuel system worlks as a whole. Are you nervous to close your fuel cap seeing the que behind you. Press fully the cap before turning the key and check it is blocked in both clock wise moves. A fuel tank is protected against over pressure and negative compared to atm. Any comments if i am mistaken are welcome.

Archived