Chausson 640 2018

fesspark

I have a 2017 Welcome 610 on the Ford, with a 2018 Welcome 610 on the Fiat on order (rectifying the mistake of buying on a Ford chassis !).

The 640 is very similar to the 610, but is 300mm longer, has a different rear travelling seat / lounge arrangement & a bigger drop down bed. Rear overhang on the 640 (from photos) seems the same as my 610 (around 2 metres from the rear wheel centre ot back of the van) - the extra length seems to be due to a longer wheelbase chassis on the 640. I have had no grounding problems & I have a towbar fitted. I have been able to keep under the back axle limit, but it would be easy to overload this if care is not taken with what goes in the (large & very accessible) garage.

Since March, we have had 48 nights in the van & have had few Chausson issues ;

The wiring to the under worktop "ambient" light had not been secured properly, snagged on the drawer & pulled out.

The USB charging point "whistled" when not under load.

The rear view camera had a dodgy connector on the loom, giving intermittent operation.

The handle for the waste water drain fell off en-route.

The grill thermocouple failed.

Nothing earth-shattering & all sorted promptly by the dealer. My dissatisfaction is with the Ford bit, not the Chausson bit, hence buying effectively the same van agaiin on the Fiat chassis. The 2018 610 is quite significantly different our 2017 model - a slightly smaller bathroom gives more room in the kitchen, the kitchen drawers have been replaced with cupboards, there is now a Thetford hob/oven grill unit at low level instead of the in-worktop hob & over freezer high level oven/grill. The drop-down bed has been reshaped to not obstruct the hab door when the bed is lowered & give more room to get in to it. The bed electrics have also been changed for easier operation - no more faffing with a fiddly keyswitch & buttons on the bed itself. The changes have given 50kg more payolad on both chassis for next year, with the Fiat having another 70 or so over the Ford. Payload this year on the Ford has been just adequate for the two of us for up to 3 weeks away - next year should bring a bit more leeway & allow travelling with a full tank of water (120 litres).

Our 610 has proved to be a comfortable place to be and, while looking at the options we could afford, there seemed to be nothing that offered similar useability (for our usage) for anything like the Chausson price. Your main problem if you want one will be finding one - Chausson sold out all next year's production by mid-September (and apparently next year they are producing 10% more vehicles than last year). I ordered mine specially early September (the dealer had forward orderd all his 2018 stock on the Ford chassis in July/August) & it was a struggle in the aftermath of orders placed on Chausson at the Dusseldorf show to get a production slot for a 1st March delivery.

HTH

Nigel B

As Nigel has advised, the Chausson 640 is available on a Fiat Ducato or Ford Transit base (and in “Flash” or “Welcome” specification).

The October 2017 issue of “Camping-Car” magazine includes a one-page review of a Ducato-based 640 Welcome.

Plus points mentioned are the two large side-settees in the lounge, the ‘king size’ drop-down bed, the spacious wash-room, excellent kitchen, practical wardrobe and rear ‘garage’ accessible from both sides and the rear.

Negative comments related to the 30 litres of fresh-water specified for when the vehicle is being driven, the need to convert the side-settees into forward-facing seats if passengers are to be carried in the rear living area, and the ‘secondary’ bed’s poor comfort.

Things I’d be looking carefully at are the (apparent) lack of high-level storage in the living-area (due to the drop-down bed) and what’s involved in transforming the side-settees into forwards-facing seats. My Rapido 640F has side-settees that can be converted into forwards-facing seats with 3-point safety belts, but the transformation process has clearly been designed by a comedian. It’s likely that the ability to transform a Chausson 740’s settees into two belted seats compromises how the settees convert into a bed and would explain the comfort criticism.

A Chausson 740 should be fine for a couple who will never carry passengers, but in that case I’d be asking myself what genuine advantage there is in having the main bed as a drop-down type in a 7-metre long low-profile model when a fixed-bed layout (island, french or twin single beds) can be found elsewhere.

we have a 2017chausson 630 (twin drop beds) on a 170 transit and found it a joy.payload is o.k.no problems with reliability or comfort. dealers and parts for fords are plentiful, and,apart from some bloggers having problems with injectors,problem free. our second chausson previous being a 610 was also good in all areas. only problem so far is a broken catch on kitchen locker(must admit a poor design) and hard to release garage handles.why is the ford so bad that you need to change?

"why is the ford so bad that you need to change?"

Mine was one of those affected by the corroded injectors issue - 4 miles after picking it up. It took Ford 6 weeks to sort it out - 3 of those weeks were the time taken to get the replacement injectors from Cologne to the dealer, via two distribution hubs. The dealer personel were very pleasant, but had no input into the Ford "system" to get any sort of urgency to resolve the situation in a timely manner. This was a Polar Ford "Transit Centre" - Polar Ford are wholely owned by Ford, so not a franchise operation. The Ford "Helpline" was no help whatsoever. I have absolutely no confidence that Ford will resolve any future problem in a timely manner - for a leisure vehicle that is required to be available for specific periods (ferries & holidays from work are non negotiable), that isn't good enough. My previous Fiat was not without issues, but the Fiat Helpline worked, the local Fiat Professional dealer (who is open 24/7/365) sorted the issues promptly with no fuss & parts were always supplied quickly - confidence inspiring !

From a driving point of view, the so-called "170" hp engine performs worse than my old X250 130hp - and the higher altitude you get to, the worse it performs. After 4500 miles, it doesn't seem to be getting any better. It also uses more fuel doing so (average 25-26 vs. 28-32, also not improving with usage) & uses twice as much Adblue Ford suggest it will. The fuel filler is awkward to use & filling up causes the interior of the van to reek of diesel. I tow a motorcycle trailer quite a lot of the time & the soft Ford suspension pitches when the trailer is attached. I find the driver's seat uncomfortable - OK for short drives, but the thin seat base cushion causes "numb bum" over 5 hours or so. The side support cushions offer inadequate support & the lumbar support is too low - I get backache as well as a numb bum !

From a "living" point of view, the floor isn't flat which, combined with the headroom reducing storage at the top of the windscreen, causes issues moving from cab to hab. The seat swivels are mounted above the fore-and-aft seat adjuster, so when the seats are swivelled they cannot be moved away from the cab walls - the seats rub against the walls when swivelled & the steering column has to be collapsed to get the drivers seat to swivel beyond 90 degrees from forward . The armrests are set with a daft ratchet arrangement that requires the working position to be set each time they are used - fiddly & distracting from a driving viewpoint.

At the end of the day, I don't enjoy driving it and I don't wish to spend my leisure time with a vehicle I don't look forward to using , which I don't trust & have no faith in the manufacturer's support network.

I'm glad to hear that yours is working for you.

Nigel B

This earlier forum thread discussed the Chausson 630 model

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/chausson-630/46471/

I’m not sure it will help with your axle-weights inquiry - for that information you’d need to find an owner of a Fiat-based Welcome 630 who had weighed his/her motorhome and then confirm exactly what the ‘loaded’ condition of the vehicle was when it was weighed and whether it had any heavy extras like an awning or tow-bar.

It’s tempting to think that the rear-axle weight Nigel B mentions in the earlier thread for his Ford-based Welcome 610 might be applicable to a Fiat-based Welcome 630 or, if tazdog6007 weighed his Ford-based 630, that his motorhome’s measured axle-weights would be relevant to the Fiat version, but I would not bet on it.

mgnbuk - 2017-10-22 6:10 PM

"why is the ford so bad that you need to change?"

Mine was one of those affected by the corroded injectors issue - 4 miles after picking it up. It took Ford 6 weeks to sort it out - 3 of those weeks were the time taken to get the replacement injectors from Cologne to the dealer, via two distribution hubs. The dealer personel were very pleasant, but had no input into the Ford "system" to get any sort of urgency to resolve the situation in a timely manner. This was a Polar Ford "Transit Centre" - Polar Ford are wholely owned by Ford, so not a franchise operation. The Ford "Helpline" was no help whatsoever. I have absolutely no confidence that Ford will resolve any future problem in a timely manner - for a leisure vehicle that is required to be available for specific periods (ferries & holidays from work are non negotiable), that isn't good enough. My previous Fiat was not without issues, but the Fiat Helpline worked, the local Fiat Professional dealer (who is open 24/7/365) sorted the issues promptly with no fuss & parts were always supplied quickly - confidence inspiring !

From a driving point of view, the so-called "170" hp engine performs worse than my old X250 130hp - and the higher altitude you get to, the worse it performs. After 4500 miles, it doesn't seem to be getting any better. It also uses more fuel doing so (average 25-26 vs. 28-32, also not improving with usage) & uses twice as much Adblue Ford suggest it will. The fuel filler is awkward to use & filling up causes the interior of the van to reek of diesel. I tow a motorcycle trailer quite a lot of the time & the soft Ford suspension pitches when the trailer is attached. I find the driver's seat uncomfortable - OK for short drives, but the thin seat base cushion causes "numb bum" over 5 hours or so. The side support cushions offer inadequate support & the lumbar support is too low - I get backache as well as a numb bum !

From a "living" point of view, the floor isn't flat which, combined with the headroom reducing storage at the top of the windscreen, causes issues moving from cab to hab. The seat swivels are mounted above the fore-and-aft seat adjuster, so when the seats are swivelled they cannot be moved away from the cab walls - the seats rub against the walls when swivelled & the steering column has to be collapsed to get the drivers seat to swivel beyond 90 degrees from forward . The armrests are set with a daft ratchet arrangement that requires the working position to be set each time they are used - fiddly & distracting from a driving viewpoint.

At the end of the day, I don't enjoy driving it and I don't wish to spend my leisure time with a vehicle I don't look forward to using , which I don't trust & have no faith in the manufacturer's support network.

I'm glad to hear that yours is working for you.

Nigel B

All very informative and useful Brian - I wish there was a 'Like' button on here. Thanks for posting.

I provided some comments on the Ducato-based version of the 2018 Welcome 640, but for all I know (as you did not say) you are interested in the Transit-based version and/or the Flash specification.

There’s lots of information about the 640 in Chausson’s 2018 brochure, but it’s probably much too early to find anyone on this forum who has one and who would be able to provide advice based on user-experience.

In practice the 640 is just another Chausson and many of the above comments relating to recent Chausson models shoud be relevant to the 640.

Derek Uzzell - 2017-10-23 8:53 AM

This earlier forum thread discussed the Chausson 630 model

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/chausson-630/46471/

I’m not sure it will help with your axle-weights inquiry - for that information you’d need to find an owner of a Fiat-based Welcome 630 who had weighed his/her motorhome and then confirm exactly what the ‘loaded’ condition of the vehicle was when it was weighed and whether it had any heavy extras like an awning or tow-bar.

It’s tempting to think that the rear-axle weight Nigel B mentions in the earlier thread for his Ford-based Welcome 610 might be applicable to a Fiat-based Welcome 630 or, if tazdog6007 weighed his Ford-based 630, that his motorhome’s measured axle-weights would be relevant to the Fiat version, but I would not bet on it.

Thanks for the link to the earlier thread Derek, quite an eye opener. I noticed that the 630 had a fair overhang and a lot of weight carried behind the back axle, hence my question. I know that published weights must be taken with a pinch of salt but you have to start somewhere. None the less the manufacturer must know what the rear axle loading is at their published 'in running order' figure, so why is it so difficult to find out what it is?

Makes you wonder.

Ron

Ron

I’ve never seen running-order axle loadings quoted by any motorhome manufacturer and, if the converters do not provide those data, dealerships or exhibitors at shows won’t be able to say what the data are.

I accept that the converters may well be aware how much (or how little!) ‘spare’ weight there will be available for each axle when a motorhome model is loaded to the overall running-order weight specified in the converter’s literature, but that information is (as far as I’m aware) never published.

thanks for your detailed reasons for changing to a fiat. most of what you say i accept as normal (armrests etc) and seat swivels seem no better or worse than on my ten previous vans.it must be me *-) add blue at 4000m is not unreasonable after all is is there for a reason on towing i do see your point

Thanking all you nice people who answered my questions on the Chausson 640.I have just come home from viewing this model ,as it happened on a Ford,I am very disappointed with the upholstery quality,although the design ideas are very good,I,me afraid its back to the drawing board,its looking like we will stick with the Burstner this year,once again many thanks. fesspark

Derek Uzzell - 2017-10-24 9:40 AM

Ron

I’ve never seen running-order axle loadings quoted by any motorhome manufacturer and, if the converters do not provide those data, dealerships or exhibitors at shows won’t be able to say what the data are.

I accept that the converters may well be aware how much (or how little!) ‘spare’ weight there will be available for each axle when a motorhome model is loaded to the overall running-order weight specified in the converter’s literature, but that information is (as far as I’m aware) never published.

Derek - I quite agree that this information is rarely available let alone published. What I am saying is that it should be, especially for motorhomes with large garages. Axle payload is a basic issue, the curtain colour is not, Manufacturers can all tell you how much weight their super duper garage can take but for some reason not the effect that this will have on the rear axle payload - although they must know it. Again, it makes you wonder, if not highly suspicious.

Actually, the only other motorhome I have owned with a proper garage was a Frankia and when asked the same question the answer was readily available. Obviously nothing to hide there then.

Ron

Hi Fesspark

I too am just back (well sort of) from the NEC MH Show and we not only looked at the 640 but have decided to buy it. It's our first purchased MH and we had a shortlist of 10 models which included Burstners, Pilotes, Carado's ( I can't remember their model numbers but they were <7m with drop down double of fixed single rear) and Chausson 630/640. After looking at a 630 at a dealer here in Scotland, we (I mean my wife) were put off by the upholstery and plasticky-like finish in places. So we decided to start anti-clockwise at the show and view the Chausson first as it was seriously our last choice out of the 10.

That's where the fun began. We viewed the 640 and instantly fell in love with it. It was shown with the full leather - an option of £1000 which pleased my wife and we didn't seem to notice the previously poor finishes. It continued to tick all the boxes. I can't comment on overhang and other experienced issues like the folks above but it seems to suit us. The "smart lounge" set up on the 640 (like in the 630)is perfect for us and made the daily living in the van feel enormous compared to the others on the short list. Living in Scotland, we'll have the need for being in the van more often than folk from further south. The bed is 160cm wide in a transverse position. I am 6'2" and 17st and we have a superking bed at home, so the 135cm, 140cm and even 150cm bed's feel too snug for us. This bed was perfect and comfortable too. It comes right down seat level, so no need for a step up to it. Or you could stop ot half way down and make a double up underneath for guests. The kitchen is extended slightly on the 640 from the 630 because of the bed orientation so that's a bonus too for more storage.

I laughed when I read a previous post of someone saying there isn't cupboards above the couches in the front of the van as the storage cupboard/wardrobe in the bathroom is almost walk-in size! It's huge. Between that and the full size garage under it, I can't see how you could possibly fill it even for a 6 month jolly. Full size shower (perfect for me) and really nice boutique feel about it (no, me neither...I had to ask my wife what she meant by it).

So now waiting to go to my local dealer and get the ball rolling. Going for the 640 Welcome on a Ford 170. No doubt it'll have niggles but I'm sure we'll love it. Now I'm going to pick tazdog's brain and bombard him with Chausson questions :-D

Shadowhood - 2017-10-27 11:38 AM

...I laughed when I read a previous post of someone saying there isn't cupboards above the couches in the front of the van...

It’s just an observation - there aren’t any cupboards above the couches in the front of the van. It’s like saying that the 640’s heating is diesel-fuelled, or only one bottle will fit in the gas-locker - it’s just factual.

Personally I like high-level lockers and I’m not keen on drop-down beds in a low-profile motorhome if it’s only to be used by a couple. That doesn’t mean, of course, that my preferences should influence anybody else’s choices - you’d probably loath the Rapido 640F I decided to buy.

Hugh, I don,t want to spoil your dream but I think you should have a long think about ordering with little knowledge of motohomes, I am now going with my 7th, 3 new ones in the last 12 years, and beleve me I still have,nt found what I need, if there is one out there please someone Guide me, I wish you all the luck in the world if you decide to have the one you have written about, I,me afraid it falls down in my wish list, Fesspark. Burstner nexxo 55 690G 2014 model, and still lookind

fesspark - 2017-10-27 5:26 PM

Hugh, I don,t want to spoil your dream but I think you should have a long think about ordering with little knowledge of motohomes, I am now going with my 7th, 3 new ones in the last 12 years, and beleve me I still have,nt found what I need, if there is one out there please someone Guide me, I wish you all the luck in the world if you decide to have the one you have written about, I,me afraid it falls down in my wish list, Fesspark. Burstner nexxo 55 690G 2014 model, and still lookind

Wow :-( don't know what to say to that. Of course we're going in with trepidation, it's a huge expense that thankfully we can afford. If we were going to be on the breadline or crippled by it then we wouldn't be buying new. Of course my knowledge is limited on them as we've only hired a few but I am definitely more knowledgeable now than I was, through the help of visiting dealers and trying them out and also gaining info from websites like this. Since last October we've been looking in earnest, going to dealers most weekends and trying different layouts and manufacturers and models. Buying new gives us the 5 year warranty on the Ford and 2 years on the Chausson for piece of mind. Your Burstner Nexxo 690 (I think it was) appealed to us originally cause it was ,7m and had fixed beds at the back with garage, but they are not supplying it to the UK from this year onwards, only in Europe. However on hind sight the fixed table, which does move in 4 directions within that small seating area, was a bit confined but that is the price you pay for having fixed beds in the rear. This is why the layout of the Chausson suited us best.

We both work so it's for weekends and long holidays for now until we retire in 8 years and I know it would have been, well I suppose the word is "safer" to get a smaller used van conversion and - this just wasn't for us. We like new, and we like comfort. There will be problems and no doubt hurdles but I am optimistic and along with the help of everybody on here and the people we meet out and about (pun intended) it's not the end of the world if something goes wrong. Life is too short to worry, if you worry about the expense and what if's, then don't do it in the first place.

Archived