Old newbie..

Grumblewagon

Just new here, and I can't find a place for new members to introduce themselves. However, as a motorcaravanner for many years, I thought I'd say hello.

Long ago, and I mean in the time of the late John Hunt and later Mike Jago, I was a regular reader and contributor to MMM. Later my work meant spending longer abroad and the van was not used as much as it should have been. I took early retirement some 11 years ago, thinking that I would have a lot more time for touring - WRONG - we've never been busier.

Anyway, we now have a superb Romahome R30 which also doubles as a large car. Now that we're properly retired ie state pensioners, we are finding more time to get around. Trouble with Scotland is that travel to Europe is more difficult.

Looking forward to posting on this forum .

Thank you Caddies104. We lived much of our lives in Hampshire, so visiting the continent was easy. Now it involves travel to Newcastle or Hull and an overnight to Ijmuiden or Rotterdam. We do prefer camping in Europe and last month we had a great tour through N.France, bits of Belgium, Germany and the Netherlands. No plans for next year - no more restricted to school hols for us!

Turriff is a long way north, I know because my Dad is from Turriff and my Mum from Banff and I spent many a happy holiday up there when I was a kid. We used to live in Doune and drove twice a year to the Alps for skiing - took us 24 hours or so non stop and the first time I had to do it myself before making my wife take her test. Not sure I could do that now at 62 so we take our time. Retiring this year has made a big difference as we can head off whenever the fancy takes and just meander around - what a life.

No way, Pjay. I'm from up north, but I will admit that it was a tad warmer down south. Drier, not really - the East coast is a lot drier than the West. I worked for 'Big Blue' both in Havant and N.Harbour. I lived in Horndean, an easy walk from Gales Brewery. I left when they sold out to Fullers. Oh how I miss a pint of HSB, but "Windswept Blonde" isn't too bad.

Don636, it's a small world. We're from the other side of the country, but couldn't stand the midgies! We retired in our mid 50's, moved up here and made friends with two lady academics who escaped the rat race and started a market garden. We also bought an old house that we've spent years renovating. Between these two things, we're busy helping with the gardening, maintenance and raising rare breed pigs and sheep.

It's a lifestyle that doesn't really lend itself to long periods away, so it's lots of short breaks, but we manage at least one European holiday a year.

Grumblewagon - 2017-10-31 7:39 PM

No way, Pjay. I'm from up north, but I will admit that it was a tad warmer down south. Drier, not really - the East coast is a lot drier than the West. I worked for 'Big Blue' both in Havant and N.Harbour. I lived in Horndean, an easy walk from Gales Brewery. I left when they sold out to Fullers. Oh how I miss a pint of HSB, but "Windswept Blonde" isn't too bad.

Don636, it's a small world. We're from the other side of the country, but couldn't stand the midgies! We retired in our mid 50's, moved up here and made friends with two lady academics who escaped the rat race and started a market garden. We also bought an old house that we've spent years renovating. Between these two things, we're busy helping with the gardening, maintenance and raising rare breed pigs and sheep.

It's a lifestyle that doesn't really lend itself to long periods away, so it's lots of short breaks, but we manage at least one European holiday a year.

Small world!

Don't know Big Blue

My main shopping is done at Tesco North Harbour.

If you came back now, you would not recognise it. The area around Tesco N Harbour is being developed, with several shops, also an Aldi is almost complete next door to the Ford Garage opposite. The road changes are causing a problem at the moment

We also keep the van at Catherington , also a new housing development at Horndean , next to the garden Centre !!

PJay

Archived