DVLA FORM D2?

fesspark

There seem to be two issues here which are confusing, and the you.gov site doesn't help much.

The difference between commercial hgv/PSV C1 drivers' licences which need regular renewals from 45 onwards, and phg (Moho) C1 drivers who can continue until 70 and then renewal every 3 years. Fairly clear.

The more difficult one is post 1997 licence holders who then pass the test to obtain their C1 licence.

Is this the same situation? Assuming they were born around 1980, the first ones will find out in 2025 when they reach 45.

Over 3500kg moho's could become less desirable in a worst case scenario.

Both the standards and the timings for a C1 licence renewal are different for drivers who passed their tests before or after 1 January 1997. For example, drivers who passed their tests later need to renew at 45, 50, 55 and 60 and then annually from 65 by attending a medical practitioner who completes a form with current stats eg blood pressure etc and eyesight examination. Eyesight requirements are (slightly) more stringent than for those who passed their test earlier than 1997. It doesn't matter whether you are a 'professional' driver or simply want to drive a motorhome over 3500kg.

I think much of the confusion is that the official websites mention only lorry and bus drivers under C1 and that leads to us to think that there are different requirements for motorhomes. But the difference is really whether or not you have 'grandfather' rights. Those who do need only to renew at 70 and for 3 years at a time. Those who don't need to renew as shown above.

Just about to fill in Form D2 for MH between 3500 and 7500Kg with grandfather rights.

I'm finding it a bit confusing but after reading booklet INF2D (many times), I've decided on the following input for SECTION 1 (all other Sections are straightforward):

SECTION 1 - WHAT ARE YOU APPLYING FOR?

To renew my licence at age 70 or over [cross in box]

Do you need C1/D1 entitlement [cross in box]

To renew for medical reasons [cross in box]

C1 only [cross in box]

PS.I assume my C1+E entitlement will automatically be reinstated, not that I need to tow a trailer at this stage.

Form D4 (medical) has already been sorted.

I shall be photocopying my driving licence before sending off, as a precaution.

Any comments would be appreciated to avoid delays in processing by DVLA. :-D

Hi,

Many here will remember having to renew their licence every year, at a cost of five shillings. If you didn't renew, you kept your entitlement for 10 years, then lost it.

My new next-door neighbour married and moved to South Africa, circa mid-1960s. She divorced her hubby, and returned to UK in the late 1990s. Her UK licence entitlement had expired many years previously, and at that time, a South African licence could not be exchanged for a UK licence. (I don't know if that has changed). She planned to drive in UK on a International Driving Permit (?), which I am not certain is allowed, as she had become a permanent resident ... and anyway, an IDP is only valid for a year. She moved house again before her IDP expired, so I don't know the outcome.

Back on topic. The duration of a licence increased to 3 years in the 1960s (?), then as DVLC became established, it became until age-70. Licence renewals over age-70 are FOC, and your photo-card only needs to be renewed once (That may have changed with the demise of the paper licence).

Medical licences may be renewable at periods decreed by DVLA's Medical Branch, usually annually, or every three years.

I had to surrender my licence for three months after they drilled a hole in my head. Once it was returned, they have shown no further interest, apart from the normal renewal every three years, cos I'm now rising 79. DVLA say I still have moped entitlement, and do not need a CBT, but they recommend that I take the training. SWMBO says "NO WAY!"

I had cataracts removed from both eyes, and can drive without specs for the first time in 40 odd years. My licence shows me wearing specs, but DVLA say I do not need a new photograph.

I do not know if a lapse in holding a Cat.B or Cat.B+E for 10 years will still wipe your entitlement. Or if holding a Cat.B or Cat.B+E , but letting your Cats C/D lapse for 10 years will have a similar result for just those groups.

When I worked in DVLC Medical Branch, our instructions were to be as helpful as possible. I see no reason why that should have changed in only 33 years.

Robbo - 2017-11-29 11:55 AM

Just about to fill in Form D2 for MH between 3500 and 7500Kg with grandfather rights.

I'm finding it a bit confusing but after reading booklet INF2D (many times), I've decided on the following input for SECTION 1 (all other Sections are straightforward):

C1 only [cross in box]

PS.I assume my C1+E entitlement will automatically be reinstated, not that I need to tow a trailer at this stage.

IMO you do not cross the 'for medical reasons' unless you have a relevant medical condition that is causing you to be renewing the licence. If it is only because you are now 70+ it is not medical reasons. Just my tanners worth. ( I do this every year for my D licence.)

Harvey

Harvey - 2017-11-30 8:54 AM

Robbo - 2017-11-29 11:55 AM

C1 only [cross in box]

IMO you do not cross the 'for medical reasons' unless you have a relevant medical condition that is causing you to be renewing the licence. If it is only because you are now 70+ it is not medical reasons. Just my tanners worth. ( I do this every year for my D licence.)

Harvey

Many thanks Harvey. What you say makes perfect sense, after reconsidering the logic.

My main reason for proposing to tick the "medical reason section" was to confirm I only wanted C1. However, I can now see that the C1 applies by default in the "renew at age 70+" section, as follows:

Do you need to drive minibuses on a voluntary basis [leave box blank]

In other words, D1 is the minibus entitlement and by not checking this, the entitlement application reverts to C1.

The eyesight standards for D1 are Group 2 (lorry and bus) whereas the standards for C1 are Group 1 (car and motorcycle). Hence my concern about conveying that I only wanted C1.

Archived