fridge fans

silverback

I fitted two fans earlier this year, I noticed an immediate change in the efficiency of the fridge, regardless of the outside temperature, a very worthwhile modification..

Oh.. and I bought the fans and a thermo-switch from China for about £5..

I fitted this fan kit to ours this year:-

http://www.outdoorbits.com/motorhome-double-fridge-fan-p-1880.html

found it to be superior and cheaper to the other offerings, having ordered and returned the Amazon rubbish. fully automatic in operation with manual override. Fan unit screws directly into the top vent grill, control panel fits neatly to fridge top panel above push button for door opening.

This has cured, completely, the poor performance we experienced early in the year in Spain (temperatures up to 44deg) though only got to 38deg in South of France later in the year.

Basil

I installed two fans in the top vent with a thermostatic controller and three way switch. I can set the thermo switch at what temperature the fans come on and at what temp they go off, for example they are set to come on when the temp behind the fridges gets to 38c and the stay on until the temp falls to 30c. I also have a three way switch by the fridge so they can be switch on Manually /Off /Automatic.

If the fridge is struggling to lower the temp when it is loaded I can just switch the fans on until it gets down to normal temp.

The power came from the permanent fridge supply so the fans will work when everything else is turned off , very useful in the summer when you go out for the day and the temperature rises.

hi all Just an update, i purchased 2 fans from ebay these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Arctic-Cooling-F12-TC-120mm-Case-Fan-1350-RPM-AFACO-120T0-GBA01-AC-Artic/161557735867?hash=item259d9769bb:g:bxUAAOSwa39UtDdl

fasten together with zip ties,(got these cos they spin at 300rpm then when 32 degrees is hit they speed up to 1350 rpm) that is 32 degrees inside the fridge hole) took a feed off the top of fridge then bought a nice switch to match my others with a light when on, put an inline fuse in of 2 amp on the fan + side and all is good, took about 5 hrs cos i dont do electrics and had to muck about with the 3 connections on the switch to find out what went where, and managed to blow 2 10 amp fuses in the sargent unit!!! *-) *-) cost about £30 but £16 of that was the switch *-) *-)

some pics below

thanks for the help everyone

Jonathan

DSC08497.jpg.6031271073db0d1a8c6a368908d9b9e7.jpg

DSC08499.jpg.84588e182319acf923a364274deffdbc.jpg

DSC08501.jpg.623f3d89574e175556d6aea2d0246ea3.jpg

• 7 months later...

Hi all, just another update, we have been off for the last 4 weeks during this heatwave and had the fridge on gas and electric and all has worked brilliant the fridge has kept cold at 0 to +2 degrees all the time, had the temperature on the fridge at full 5 notch, probably could have gone down a notch on that as well probably

cheers

Jonathan

Archived