£33 Motorhome, Truck specific Sat Nav

aandncaravan

Just a personal postscript. Following the various comments about the Xgody satnav I bought one to replace my aged Snooper. I’ve been using it for a while now and it works well. Having a capacitative touch screen is a welcome feature which makes it a little more smart phone like in operation. In addition I’ve just loaded Archiescampings POIs and they works perfectly with the satnav so all in all, £33 well spent.

Hi folks,

just a thought.

if what has been said about the devices using "ripped off"or in otherwords stolen software, the persons purchasing such cheap devices open themselves to potential prosecution for "knowingly obtaining stolen goods".

if the original author of the software was one of the big companies and thought it was seriously affecting their business, the legal implications could be very expensive.

I wonder about the potential implication on those who actively promote those "cheap satnavs" and those end users who contribute to the "crime". it is no defence to plead that you didnt know it was stolen software.

just a thought!!!

Tonyg3nwl.

tonyg3nwl - 2018-03-21 9:18 AM

if what has been said about the devices using "ripped off"or in otherwords stolen software,

What makes you think the software is stolen? I’ve not seen any official claims to that extent just the usual mindless gossip because it’s manufactured in China like most electronic devices we use including iPhones (Twanese company, factory in mainland China), Dyson etc etc. And besides, If there’s any official complaint of copyright infringement EBay close down a supplier’s account immediately and there’s no sign of that happening. Having spent some weeks in China it’s become pretty obvious to me that their society is much more technologically advanced than our own and that their research facilities and advances surpass much of what is going on in the West and I’d include software development in that. For whatever reason the advances are seldom reported in our press despite them having bigger and some would argue better versions of the equivalent of Google, Uber, Applepay etc etc some of which are now expanding into Europe. WeChat Pay for instance which currently has about 700m active users (ApplePay approx 16m) will shortly be accepted in flagship London stores.

The sat nav software incidentally is Primo which is developed by a Hungarian company and sold to a number of Sat Nav providers.

I can remember my next door neighbour buying a Datsun Sunny in the mid 1070's, which he raved about.

In the Press at the time there was a lot of anti Japanese talk, with various stories about the risk the buyer was taking, the cars were too complex, the engineering couldn't possible be reliable, etc

Lots of all sorts of stories, that all proved to be a long way off the truth.

Very similar to the those circulating about Chinese Electronics now.

Had a couple of Datsun Sunnys...excellent because they were Japanese.

Few years ago bought a couple of pallets of expensive and revolutionary Chinese light fittings inc bulbs and lost a few thousand pounds....no returns then as they could move factories overnight!!

Now that China is the production capital of the world things are a lot better....thank goodness (lol)

I did not say that the software WAS stolen, if you read correctly, I said IF IT WAS, as was hinted at by others in the messages.

in the past, there have been suspicions of such activity, but I am not aware of any conclusive proof.

I simply warned of the possible consequences, IF IT was subsequently proven to have happened.

I originally purchased a Snooper satnav when it first appeared, and regretted it a year later when they wanted extra to upgrade the mapping. I also didnt like the way they chose to permit adding your own poi, it had to be done by sending them the file, and then downloading it from their website. A complicated and slow process.

my original Snooper is now tucked away redundant, and I have now got a Garmin Camper 660 device.whic can update mapping on line, and load pois with a poi loader program

I have also downloaded the Copilot free version, on the tablet, and loaded that with my own poi as well.Although it works, it is not intelligent enough to automatically re route , if there should be a traffic blockage etc, At start, it offers a choice of 3 routes, but once committed, it sticks to chosing that choice, and will continue to try and get you back on that choice, instead of automatically having a rethink....

Tonyg3nwl

We navigated our way all over Europe for years with nothing more than an out of date TomTom sat nav with well out of date maps and, supplemented by healthy doses of common sense and scepticism, we never had any problems.

Now if I could just find an app that does the driving and empties the loo that would be really handy!

BruceM - 2018-03-21 12:10 PM

The sat nav software incidentally is Primo which is developed by a Hungarian company and sold to a number of Sat Nav providers.

...IGO/Primo is indeed developed by NNG Software in Hungary.

It also is indeed licensed to an extensive number of electronics manufacturers to provide navigation capability.

Official (licensed) installations are supported (update, etc.) only through NNG's portal at naviextras.com (and there are listings available there of the supported manufacturers and models).

https://www.naviextras.com/shop/portal/devicessupport

(note the absence of certain names here)

Significant number of devices advertised on eBay and Amazon do not fall into the above category.

Pirated (cracked) versions of (generally older) NNG software are readily available from various hooky sites on the web, as are pirated/cracked maps.

These are not licensed by NNG, and will not update through the Naviextras portal (they are not recognised), despite many of these pirated versions pointing in displays to that portal for upgrade.

There are many devices around that have been (from the 'factory') loaded with one or other of these pirate/cracked versions, and an accompanying set of cracked maps. Indeed, if you have a Windows CE device, it is not difficult to do this yourself (though I'd suggest you don't).

No license fees = cheap SatNav

Be clear, if they will not connect to naviextras.com, they do not contain licensed software, and they will never be upgradeable from the official source.

Map upgrades, etc. might (or might not) be made available from other sites as and when somewhere on the web, a new pirated/cracked version appears and is copied somewhere by the seller of your device for you to download - but they will be hosted on the most odd site names (in the past, there has been at least one example of being pointed to a fashion site for download) and their availability will be patchy.

Pursuing license infringement (especially in the Far East) is a pretty thankless task, and unless one's business absolutely depends on it, often not worth the candle. NNG are still very active in the official market, so can probably, at least for the time being, afford not to react.

My own version of Primo is a fully licensed one via Clarion.

Thanks for that info Robin. I was going to purchase just as a backup but will remain with my iPad and Navfree which has served me welll in all my foreign destinations, England, France, Spain and Portugal

Edit I have a standalone GPS receiver for the iPad which communicates by bluetooth. The iPads inbuilt receiver relies on local WiFi signals which is useless when out in the sticks.

• 4 weeks later...

As an alternative to my Tom Tom I spent a couple of pounds on OsmAnd maps for UK and Europe on a smart phone.....they are available world wide.

Works just as well as any Satnav but the smart phone battery lasts for many hours when on bikes.

Obviously no 'MH/Caravan' version for those that seem to need it!

PS. Works without internet connection on the road.

fesspark - 2018-04-18 5:55 AMHi Bruce,just read your comments on the £33 sat nav you purchased, Where did you buy it from as there appears to be loads of dealers on line.? cheers fesspark

The brand is "Xcody" and they available in 5" and 7" versions.  Search on EBay using Xcody and you should get them.

Tracker - 2018-03-21 5:28 PM

We navigated our way all over Europe for years with nothing more than an out of date TomTom sat nav with well out of date maps and, supplemented by healthy doses of common sense and scepticism, we never had any problems.

Now if I could just find an app that does the driving and empties the loo that would be really handy!

My wife already has one Rich, it's called me

Pete (lol)

Is this xcody unit Android based? If it is then perhaps I could download my Sygic account on to it. I am running Sygic with dash cam on my Galaxy S5, it runs ok but I worry about my S5 overheating. I have tried a Garmin Driveassist and a Tomtom go and neither of them give a warning tone when you exceed the speed limit. Although they do a visual warning. Before anyone shouts about watching speedo, I find the speed warnings useful especially when there are so many idiots on the road and you need to be attentive to them.

• 1 month later...

Archived