Failed Electrics

Vanmannish

Vanmannish - 2017-11-07 10:57 PM

Went to start my 180 multijet today. On turning key nothing happens. No dash lights, nothing. Battery showing 12.8 volts. Suspect a fuse but where is it? Grateful for any advice.

Sounds like the main fuse which is in a box right on top of the battery which is under the larger of the 2 manhole covers in the cab floor.

99369266_X250Batteryboxfuses.thumb.jpg.cced94c31ae4e1f63ca7cd9e4679de50.jpg

First you need to check the spare key, as Brian suggested.

Next you need to establish an additional earth. Your earth point is on a white metal plate under the windscreen scuttle. Attach one half of a pair of jump leads to here and the other end to a suitable steel part of the engine. The lifting eye is best but anything else that is bolted to the block or head is ok. Try starting the vehicle now. If all is OK you have a problem with the main engine earth which is between the nearside chassis under the air filter and the gearbox. It's always been a common fault with these vehicles but not normally this soon.

If this does not work, you need to check the CAL 5 fuse which is the big, coloured one on top of the battery.

If none of this helps, you may have a problem with the starter motor.

The vehicle goes through a series of self checks before starting and if there is insufficient power available through either a bad earth or a weak battery, or if there is a large current draw where there should not be; the ECU will refuse to turn the engine over at all. This arrangement was preferable to the old way of letting the engine turn over and starving the ECU of power; leading to a string of error messages and a dashboard full of warning lights!

Nick

I had a similar problem in France earlier this year .I stopped at a services for a break in driving and could not start the van I checked the Battery and found it was just below the threshold level ( we had been driving for 2 hours). checked all fuses all ok So used jump lead from leisure battery and whilst connecting, notice the battery box of 2nd leisure battery was hot so I disconnected it . The van started on jump leads and gave no problems for the next 6 weeks . the Leisure Battery had gone down and was drawing all the current from the alternator

on the way home pulled into service station to fill up and van would not start no lights on dashboard at all Panic ... After checking around could find nothing wrong and tried again started first time .I have now removed the earth strap and fitted a second one Van running Ok and no problems again.

euroserv - 2017-11-08 3:32 PM

...It's always been a common fault with these vehicles but not normally this soon...

Nick

I think you are assuming that the vehicle is the latest Euro 6 Ducato X290 with a 2.3litre 180 Multijet 2 motor, but it could just as easily be earlier as Fiat referred to the Euro 5 3.0litre motor as a "180 Multijet Power”.

(Presumably your advice would apply to both?)

Archived