Pets and brexit?

Billggski

Fortunately our pet “Allie” - who also acts as a very effective anti-theft device - does not need a pet passport when he currently travels abroad with us and (apparently) would not be subject to quarantine after Brexit. Puts the Fear of God into customs officers when they look in the Rapido’s garage for migrants and see a 6-foot alligator staring back at them.

The pets passport is slightly different across the EU (and world), the UK has additional requirements above those for most (if not all) other EU countries.

So would sorting it out be a problem? Only if the EU decide to act as arseholes, so this could be a good test to show exactly what they are like and if we should just walk away and tell them to whistle for any compo.

colin - 2017-11-13 7:09 PM

So would sorting it out be a problem? Only if the EU decide to act as arseholes, so this could be a good test to show exactly what they are like and if we should just walk away and tell them to whistle for any compo.

Hmmm...So the UK government had for months (have still?) refused to take the high ground and do the decent thing, re: EU nationals status living here...but yet "we" are supposed to get tetchy and jump on Johnnie Foreigner when it comes to "our" pets?..... :-S

(apologies for Chatterbox-esque post)

pepe63 - 2017-11-13 7:42 PM

colin - 2017-11-13 7:09 PM

Hmmm...So the UK government had for months (have still?) refused to take the high ground and do the decent thing, re: EU nationals status living here...but yet "we" are supposed to get tetchy and jump on Johnnie Foreigner when it comes to "our" pets?..... :-S

(apologies for Chatterbox-esque post)

The UK government have repeatedly said they have no intention of kicking out EU nationals living here, and that they will keep their present rights, it has also been expanded to a proposal for the 3.5m EU nationals now living here to be able to leave and then subsequently return at any time they wish, in return it is asked that similar rights are extended to 1m UK citizens now living in EU. The EU is refusing to talk about it.

The rules are simple, the U.K. will be outside the eu, and to import a dog, cat or ferret into it you need to fill the forms in as any other country does now.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/550233/animal-health-certificate-for-dogs-cats-ferrets-entering-EU-from-non-EU-countries-and-some-territories.docx

Just another "detail" that those pushing for a "hard" brexit need to have sorted before we go.

I am hoping for one big change.

That Brexit will stop the huge trade in Pedigree Puppies brought in on false papers from Eastern Europe. A lot of them are in such a wretched state that they don't live long after being sold, most of them are far too young to betaken from their Mothers on the filthy disgusting Puppy Farms. >:-)

Barnier is trying all the scare tactics that an experienced negotiator should try on at least once but as a Frenchman he more than anyone should remember that exercising punitive sanctions against neighbours you fall out with is a really bad idea.

Anyway, it looks to me like our current exit procedure relies on current EU laws going onto our statute book so nothing will change immediately. The EU pet passport relaxes our original quarantine laws from 1922. They are strict but there has to be some advantages to living on an island and one of those is preventing people from bringing in livestock and other terrestrial animals that carry diseases like rabies.

To take the politics out of this post, as the EU Withdrawal Bill will enshrine all existing EU law into UK law, the current arrangements will apply unless and until either the UK or the EU pass an act amending the current law.

So, good news for the OP, you'll still be able to take your pet with you.

Talking to my business in contacts on the continent (primarily Germany, France and Netherlands) it’s apparent that ‘Brexit’ is not high on the agenda as it is in the UK and that most of the general populace considers that we have already left the EU. Or to put it another way, they have more important things to be getting on with and are moving forward accordingly. From a business perspective many consider the UK to be a declining opportunity (weak growth, devalued currency, political uncertainty etc) so are increasingly rotating their spare capacity towards Asia which is as we all know the best growth opportunity out there. The reason I’m mentioning this is that as we attempt to negotiate an exit and trade deal with what is the richest single trading block in the world (the union of European States) we have to accept that something as relatively trivial as pet passports will not be high on any negotiation priority list. My personal view is that it is so trivial that it will be ‘parked’ to be tidied up at a later date and until that date it will continue to operate as normal. Of course, if we fail to reach a trading accommodation and experience the fabled ‘Hard Brexit’ then all bets are off and anything could happen. The latter option benefits neither negotiating party so seems unlikely – unless of course politicians are put in charge of the negotiation.

BruceM - 2017-11-14 12:11 PM

Talking to my business in contacts on the continent (primarily Germany, France and Netherlands) it’s apparent that ‘Brexit’ is not high on the agenda as it is in the UK and that most of the general populace considers that we have already left the EU. Or to put it another way, they have more important things to be getting on with and are moving forward accordingly. From a business perspective many consider the UK to be a declining opportunity (weak growth, devalued currency, political uncertainty etc) so are increasingly rotating their spare capacity towards Asia which is as we all know the best growth opportunity out there. The reason I’m mentioning this is that as we attempt to negotiate an exit and trade deal with what is the richest single trading block in the world (the union of European States) we have to accept that something as relatively trivial as pet passports will not be high on any negotiation priority list. My personal view is that it is so trivial that it will be ‘parked’ to be tidied up at a later date and until that date it will continue to operate as normal. Of course, if we fail to reach a trading accommodation and experience the fabled ‘Hard Brexit’ then all bets are off and anything could happen. The latter option benefits neither negotiating party so seems unlikely – unless of course politicians are put in charge of the negotiation.

It's good news that European companies are moving away from the UK and turning to Asia .......

........ it means we can do exacty the same after Brexit. :-D

Currently yes - and moving forwards, very likely yes.

The Euro block have an agenda to make things as difficult as possible for us to make an example to stop other countries going down the same road however in the end self interest will prevail. Anything they apply to our citizens, we will apply to theirs,

Our politicians are completely muddled with no direction and very little support amongst them however the history of the UK has never been one of a structured plan, it's always been muddle through, we generally have done well in spite of ourselves, - not because of ourselves, and my theory is it will work out OK, there is so much vested interest behind the scenes to see that things do not go wrong.

If we do get to a Hard Brexit I can see a lot of posturing, time is short, look what will happen etc if we don't get agreement but on the final day it will happen, - otherwise a lot of Politicians are going to look very silly. - It's also true that folks in most other countries in the EU have given up on the UK, thinking we have a screw lose, and that we are likely to slowly sink from view - If we haven't already, - maybe we will.

Most likely the majority of rules will remain in place for a very long time until they are reviewed, or something goes wrong, Pet Passports probably come after the Irish Border and many, many other things on the list.

747 - 2017-11-14 12:58 PM

It's good news that European companies are moving away from the UK and turning to Asia .......

........ it means we can do exactly the same after Brexit. :-D

But what are we going to sell them that they;

a) Don't already manufacture themselves...?

or

b) They don't already own/run/bankroll the "UK's" manufacturing plant anyway...?

Bring back the Austin Allegro?...All hail the rebirth of the Maxi?....... ;-)

..or take the world by storm with artisan cheese and chutney..?

As said above, sorting out the travel arrangements for the UK's pooches is hardly likely to be top of the "must do" list.. ;-)

747 - 2017-11-13 11:22 PM

I am hoping for one big change.

That Brexit will stop the huge trade in Pedigree Puppies brought in on false papers from Eastern Europe. A lot of them are in such a wretched state that they don't live long after being sold, most of them are far too young to betaken from their Mothers on the filthy disgusting Puppy Farms. >:-)

According to the link posted by Billggski above it is clear that this certificate is designed to do just that - stop animals being moved either for sale or to transfer ownership. So maybe it would help the UK to stop many or most of the imported animals from (particularly) Eastern European states.

David

......except the link I put up is for non-commercial movement of pets.

I.e. Taking them on holiday,

unless the politicians get their act together this bit of legislation will be on the "to do" list and pet passports no longer valid. The problems with agriculture and the car industry are causing much more concern.

Pets will be treated in the same way as animals from Morocco, Turkey or Pakistan.

The eu negotiators know that this will cause UK pet owners much more heartache than abstract concepts such as trade tariffs and will start to put pressure for a deal.

??

Billggski - 2017-11-14 7:38 PM

unless the politicians get their act together this bit of legislation will be on the "to do" list and pet passports no longer valid. The problems with agriculture and the car industry are causing much more concern.

Pets will be treated in the same way as animals from Morocco, Turkey or Pakistan.

The eu negotiators know that this will cause UK pet owners much more heartache than abstract concepts such as trade tariffs and will start to put pressure for a deal.

??

I don't really see it that way. Defra have always been more concerned with importing problems from the rest of Europe and that will still be their main concern whatever happens. As I said before, the U.K. pets Passport was brought in to ensure that any animals coming into the UK (as opposed to leaving the UK) were rabies free. Those restrictions are likely to remain and those UK travellers who already take theirs abroad have the necessary requirements to being them back into the UK without the need for quarantine.

It's probably likely that any requirements made by the EU for animals to be imported (from the UK) after Brexit will be covered by the existing requirements of the Pets Passport scheme - and it may prove to be just another tit for tat negotiating point well down the list as others have said.

David

??

Its not just Pets that will get over looked or at the back of the queue IF we leave. Outside of Europe travel within Schengen will be restricted to three months in any six and as has already been said by David Davis we will likely lose the EHIC card and no doubt travel insurance will rocket. All things that will affect long term and short term motorhome trips to Europe.

I wont mention the words Voting Christmas and Motorhomers again, no. (lol)

??

Like David Lloyd, I see it differently.

Friends of ours have recently attended the World Dog Show in Germany. The clue is in the word 'World'. The top dogs from anywhere in the World were invited to attend, I see no reason for UK dogs to be ineligible after Brexit.

BTW a British Whippet was judged Best in Show, beating every other entrant.

747 - 2017-11-15 12:46 PM

??

Like David Lloyd, I see it differently.

Friends of ours have recently attended the World Dog Show in Germany. The clue is in the word 'World'. The top dogs from anywhere in the World were invited to attend, I see no reason for UK dogs to be ineligible after Brexit.

BTW a British Whippet was judged Best in Show, beating every other entrant.

The position has always been that it's no problem taking an animal out of the country, it's been bringing them back in that the authorities have been interested in.

It may also be worth being aware that Monsieur Bernier was talking to a French Audience when this subject was mentioned. The French love their dogs even more than the British. As I mentioned previously, the French populace along with other EU populations (the British excepted) have mostly lost interest in ‘Brexit’ and see it solely as a British problem. Without voters taking an interest in the outcome of the negotiations the politicians will be unaccountable for the decisions they eventually take until they’re already made. So I think that this was his attempt to galvanise some popular interest. It would have been perhaps more effective to highlight the potentially adverse effect on French employment – if it wasn’t for the fact that the French along with many other EU States expect to gain from Britain’s exit. Full marks though for trying, especially as it’s probably done pet owners a favour – the French dog lobby is surprisingly influential, even President Macron has a dog.

Archived