Paper or electronic documents for police abroad

trickydicky

Good evening, we have always carried our original documents for insurance etc. with us when travelling abroad but are finding this more difficult these days as brokers are reluctant to supply paper documents.does anyone know how the law stands these days in Spain. Would they accept e mail evidence on a phone. Unfortunately we don't have a printer or live close enough to a library etc.

I can’t tell you what current Spanish motoring law says (if anything) regarding carrying documentation only electronically. This website

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/driving-abroad/checklist/

includes driving advice for European countries and the “Driving in Spain” section

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/country/spain/

advises

"When driving in Spain the following documents should be carried:

Full, valid driving licence*

Proof of insurance (third party or above)

Proof of ID (passport)

Proof of ownership (V5C certificate)

*International Driving Permits are recognised but not compulsory.”

If I were a policeman (whatever my nationality) I’d normally expect a motorist to provide hard-copy documentation, not soft-copy files attached to e-mails.

This website

https://www.met.police.uk/advice-and-information/vehicle-recovery/seized-vehicles/

says

"Insurance certificate – you will need a valid certificate of insurance to drive the vehicle. We’ll accept electronic copies of the certificate on your mobile device or sent by fax or email, if they have come directly from your insurer."

so the UK police MIGHT accept a soft-copy insurance certificate, but that won’t necessarily be so abroad.

I try to give the police an easy life and presenting paper documentation should be simpler (and less potentially confrontational) than getting a policeman to squint at a phone. Although it may take effort on your part, I believe you’d be wise to obtain a paper copy of your insurance certificate.

Not being knowledgeable on any particular country's law we always carried several copies of everything, even if attending meetings and who we were mixing with and why. Leave nothing to doubt.

Not being familiar with modern digital methods regarding carrying details I would think they could be disguised or manipulated too easily. It always seemed to us as if we had some authority when offering paper proof.

They could at least keep what we offered ... Be one step ahead is always worth considering.

I normally carry a paper copy of my Insurance Certificate as well as having a copy on my iPad. It avoids any potential issues.

All insurance companies that don't issue paper will provide them electronically, either by email attachment or link to your dedicated online account. Either way, you can then print them off. If you are using a broker, they should provide you with copies or a link in the same way.

trickydicky - 2017-11-13 9:19 PM

Unfortunately we don't have a printer or live close enough to a library etc.

Whilst the idea of carrying electronic documents appeals I'd always be worried any devise would pack up just when you need it.

Having to find somewhere to print off a cert once per year wouldn't normally be a problem for most people, I know my printer is always playing up due to lack of use, and nearest library is miles away with inconvient opening times, but still manage it.

trickydicky - 2017-11-13 9:19 PM

Good evening, we have always carried our original documents for insurance etc. with us when travelling abroad but are finding this more difficult these days as brokers are reluctant to supply paper documents.does anyone know how the law stands these days in Spain. Would they accept e mail evidence on a phone. Unfortunately we don't have a printer or live close enough to a library etc.

Surely you have a Friend or Neighbour that can print them out for you, or when you go shopping there are various places that will print them for you. The other alternative is to request your Insurance Company to send a hard copy.

I use electronic copies and have done for several years.

I download on to several devices plus have a copy in the cloud so I can download if required ( I also keep copynpassports on the cloud so always available). These are not attached to an email but are the standalone document.

A printed copy is no more secure than an electronic copy. If you want to falsify a document you could always print it. Most people of working age, including police, are smart phone or tablet users so will be familiar with screen use.

Peter

Interesting point about proof of ownership. A V5C clearly does NOT evidence ownership but merely the registered keeper. A sales receipt for the vehicle is evidence (but not proof) of ownership at a point in time.

I carry in the glovebox (why do they still call it that ?) an A5 folder with copies of all documents and the original V5C etc hidden elsewhere. I have only once (in a remote part of Hungary) been asked for the vehicle documents and the police officer (rendorseg) happily accepted my A5 copies. The fact that the roadside check was the day after the May 1st local holiday may suggest that they had a more obvious agenda.

Archived