Polishing the van

Pete-B

Evening all,

I don't mind washing and polishing the van on a nice day but when I'm finished I'd like it to look a bit more glossy than it does.

Since the van was new I've always used Auto glym Super resin polish and their Extra Gloss on top. I also don't mind giving it a bit of elbow grease but I just wondered if a lecky polisher would give it that extra finish. I'm not talking here of a serious one like you would find in a finishing shop I'm not experienced enough to be let loose with one of those, I'd probably take all the paint off. I really want to get something I could use to give it just that bit extra after I've finished by hand.

So if anyone could recommend one I'd much appreciate it, thanks

First of all I would consider how high a gloss finish I could achieve as to what is being polished. Painted aluminium/GRP? You are using good products that will maintain protection and a good degree of finish. I would be very carefull to make use of an electric polisher as I’ve seen catastrophic results on ‘hard’ edges on friends cars.

I have recently changed from Auto Glym to using the ‘Maguire’s’ range of products that have more than inproved my polish finish.

The improved results were on a Knaus low profile as yours of aluminium construction. I have no connection with any trade suppliers but was given the cleaning and polishing kit by my son who swears by the results as achieved on his Porsche

Another advantage I’ve found is that it is so easy to apply and remove and also that it does not ‘whiten’ or affect plastic as in bumpers etc. But leaves them with a good finish to boot.

Pete-B - 2017-11-20 6:57 PM

Evening all,

I don't mind washing and polishing the van on a nice day but when I'm finished I'd like it to look a bit more glossy than it does.

Since the van was new I've always used Auto glym Super resin polish and their Extra Gloss on top. I also don't mind giving it a bit of elbow grease but I just wondered if a lecky polisher would give it that extra finish. I'm not talking here of a serious one like you would find in a finishing shop I'm not experienced enough to be let loose with one of those, I'd probably take all the paint off. I really want to get something I could use to give it just that bit extra after I've finished by hand.

So if anyone could recommend one I'd much appreciate it, thanks

I would take it easy with the Auto Glym Super Resin Polish as it is a very aggressive polish and shouldn’t be used on a regular bassis especially on gel coat. I use finesse-it by 3M an industry standard which is suitable for paint and gel coat, can be applied by machine or hand. Once the desired finish is achieved a good coat of Maguires RV and Marine wax will preserve your hard work for longer.

Have to agree about Autoglym SRP contains cutting agents, also it contains no wax (unless you buy the pro version) so will need waxing afterwards. Using an electric polisher on a motorhome could cause some serious damage if used incorrectly and or with the wrong compounds. Maybe Pete B you need to cut down on the SRP and use a good quality wax instead.

Archived