Computor question

Pete-B

Hi all, A bit OT but here goes, being a bit of a computer numpty I would like to ask a question of the more savvy amongst us. My wife's got a Hewlett Packard desktop computer which she's always having trouble with so I suggested, why doesn't she use the Mac laptop or MacBook I thinks she call it, which I bought her last Xmas and says, "it's because the hard drive is not big enough".

She helps our son out by doing all is accounts for the business he runs plus all our own accounts and that's something else I might add. She notes and records everything we buy down to the smallest thing plus almost all the photo's we take whilst out in the van. Mind you, there are times when I bought something years ago and wonder where I got it, then it comes in useful.

Anyhow she runs something which, I think she calls parallels on the MacBook to enable her to use windows I gather, so she can transfer some stuff from the desktop. My question is, can I get her an external hard drive to connect to the Mac so she would then be able to transfer everything from the desktop and make that redundant? Also would she would then be able to connect an external monitor - should she want - when working at home? She usually takes the Mac with her whist we're away and does a bit of work during the evenings.

Thanks for any help.

PS Other than Mac, which can be expensive, would any make of external hard drive be OK?

Pete-B

As peterjl has said, it is practicable to connect an external drive to a MacBook (examples here)

https://www.apple.com/uk/shop/mac/mac-accessories/storage

and/or an external monitor too

https://mac-how-to.gadgethacks.com/how-to/connect-external-display-your-macbook-macbook-air-macbook-pro-0166209/

though both of those tasks may depend on which MacBook your wife has.

Putting my old moth-eaten computer-support hat back on, as your wife’s IT capabilities are evidently good (and you are a self-confessed “computer numpty”) I suggest you don’t try to interfere with what she wants to do computer-wise or how she chooses to do it. Your wife currently has a system that involves a Hewlett Packard PC and a MacBook and that system works for her - so if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

You could discuss with your wife whether she would like an external drive for her MacBook for Xmas, but if she felt there was a real need for an external drive I suspect she would have obtained one by now. As she is obsessive about recording fine-detail information, in the unlikely event that she is not backing up the data on the HP machine, an external drive might be useful for that purpose.

If there were a very persuasive argument for having just a single machine (with no drive/monitor 'add-ons‘) that would be suitable for work at home and while travelling (eg. if it’s thought the HP machine will soon need replacement) it might be worth considering obtaining a large-screen, highly-specified laptop like an Apple MacBook Pro - but this would cost £1700-£2000. Having said that, I have an iMac for home use and an iPad for travelling, but I’d be very reluctant to replace the iMac with a Macbook just so I could use the laptop when away from home.

Archived