ASCI card?

michaelmorris

However (just to further complicate Michael’s decision-making) I notice that there will be two 2018 ACSI products - the traditional guide-book covering 21 countries or a book dealing with France, Spain, Portugal, the UK and Ireland - and with both books being accompanied by the ACSI Camong Card.

Details here (and comments on the 2nd link)

https://www.vicarious-shop.com/blogs/vicarious-view/acsi-2018

https://www.vicarious-shop.com/blogs/vicarious-view/acsi-2018#comments

Sample paqes from the 2nd product can be viewed here

https://www.vicarious-shop.com/products/acsi-campsite-guide-britain-ireland-france-spain-portugal-2018?variant=44425910162

"But it hasn't been mentioned very much Remember it's basically only for off season use"

But as the "off season" is up to and including the first week in July on some sites (Austria, Northern Italy) and starts again in September, is that an issue ? More months available on the scheme than off it & we have saved more than the cost of the card every year for the last 8 years. We get it direct from ACSI, along with their ID card, which is acceptable instead of a passport on many sites.

Nigel B

derek500 - 2017-12-07 2:11 PM

Does the C&CC version for £12.99 include the app?

Seemingly not

https://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/travelabroad/campingcardacsi/

and the ‘euro price’ of the guide/card/app package

https://webshop.acsi.eu/en/campingcard-acsi/campingcard-acsi-combi-4732.html

strongly suggest that the C&CC offer won’t include the app.

Have had a look at the ASCI web site and there are 3 sites on the Il de Re that seem to accept ASCI but the only way to book a pitch is through their own web site and there doesn't seem to be any way of getting the ASCI discount. Is it a case of just turning up at the site without booking and hoping they take the card? Will be going in June so not sure if there a good chance they will be full.

rooster63 - 2017-12-11 3:14 PM

Have had a look at the ASCI web site and there are 3 sites on the Il de Re that seem to accept ASCI but the only way to book a pitch is through their own web site and there doesn't seem to be any way of getting the ASCI discount. Is it a case of just turning up at the site without booking and hoping they take the card? Will be going in June so not sure if there a good chance they will be full.

Do you have the ACSI card and book for 2018? If so, look at page 22 of part 2, where the booking facility is described. There are 10 sites on Re that take the Camping Card. You will still need to take the ACSI card with you.

I do have the 2018 ASCI card and book but when I navigate to the campsites via the map there is an orange button as mentioned on p22 but it just takes you to the camp sites own web site where any booking made is at their normal price. Not sure if I'm too early and the site bookings are not up and running yet.

If I go to campingcard home page there is an option to select camp sites that allow direct booking through ASCI, but there don't seem very many and none on the Il de Re.

Is it a case of just turning up and hoping they have space?

The book shows an orange shopping trolley symbol beside the instructions for booking an ACSI card site, but I can't see any of those symbols against any of the sites at present. I think this is a new trick, so it's possible they won't begin to appear until the new year. Or, you could try e-mailing ACSI to ask them. They seem to respond quite promptly.

Whether you need to book will largely depend on when you intend going. Ile de Re is popular and sea-side, so I'd guess may get booked well in advance, and I've no idea how many ACSI pitches will be bookable, but I'd guess there will be a limit. We don't "do" seaside, and have never yet been unable to get a pitch at an ACSI site, so I have no basis on which to say.

We spent 9 nights in Brittany in Sept and used 2 ACSI sites, one in Carnac and one in Concarneau. Both were in walking distance of the town and both cost 17 euros a night. We worked out that the saving basically equated to the cost of EHU if booking a standard rate so in other words around 4 - 4.5 euros per night.

So having spent 3 nights at the first and 2 (instead of 3 cut short due to marvellous weather

:'( ) at the second we still saved approx 20 euros even on that short length of time so joining was just about worth it.

As has been said there are a massive number of campsites not in ACSI but there is still a great choice (in fact Les Sables Blancs at Concarneau was a bargain at 17 euros and we will definitely be going back!)

Archived