Battery to Battery Chargers - Smart Alternator

MikeJJ

aandncaravan - 2017-12-13 2:57 PM

Steve928, so you have installed a B2B with fast charging and then disabled fast charging.....................

Like I asked, were there other better, simpler, cheaper ways than a Stirling B2B? The answer is obviously a yes.

No, I installed faster charging at the correct voltage for my batteries, as Sterling advise you to in their instructions.

20A @14.4v with 13.6v float instead of 2 or 3A at 14.0V constant.

2 x 2 battery connections, secure the unit and job done. 25 mins all in if I recall - fit and forget.

It doesn't get much simpler, if at all.

Perhaps the problem is that such a simple and effective unit is removing the need for 'experts' and over-complicated systems?

But you are confusing me; a moment ago 14.8v was bad and 14.4v was good, but now you've found out that I'm using 14.4v that has become bad too, perhaps because those 14.4v are Sterling volts which you don't like?

I hope I've now answered your questions so you no longer have to jump to conclusions and make false assumptions.

Mike, as requested, I have added an EC 500 instruction/wiring diagram to the bottom of our B2B webpage : http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/battery-to-battery-chargers.php

At the bottom of the document it shows all wiring connections for both the EC 500 and the EM40 Fiat chassis Interface module.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Note that the EM40 does not have 'proper' Fuse holders, just 'female Spade' connectors soldered to the Board which tend to be a weak point if the current gets near 20amps. Likewise the Starter battery 'In' and 'out' connectors are low current rated.

One other tip we can also give is that you will see in the document the Fridge connectors on the EMxx Interface are only low power rated spade connectors and are prone to burning. If you have a Fridge/Freezer that draws more current than a standard Fridge, keep an eye out for burning/damage before it gets serious.

We suggest you consider running the Fridge on Gas on the move, but there are considerations you need to bear in mind. A good thread was created on here recently that has many opposing views to our own, to help you make up your own mind.

That's great, I can see that Sargent have modified the EM45, compared to the EM40 (maybe because of different chassis) but with a very similar function. The EC500 looks identical between your version1 and my version 2 with only slight amendments to descriptions of fuse functions (and maybe software).

• 2 weeks later...

I've got my B2B installed Allan was right not really worthwhile on a German van with their decent wiring. Getting about 40% improvement on standard Hymer setup. I would have been well peeved if I paid the full price but at £135 for the current V62 model that was only released in September, I'm happy.

Shouldn't cook the batteries as it's charging my Gels at 14.2v and as it drops down to a float voltage of 13.8 should be kinder than charging directly from the alternator.

At startup getting 28 amps compared to the standard setup of 20-22 amps and once the batteries have settled 14 amps compared to 8 amps.

So on a journey of 2 hours between Aires assuming after½ hour the charging rate drops from the higher level should get around 35 a/h back into the batteries compared about 22 a/h on the standard setup. Our average use in spring/autumn is around 30 a/h a day and we have 300 watts of solar so will be helpful at this time of year when we are using more power an not getting much from the solar.

It seems to be notable that some motor home manufactures haven't yet caught up with smart alternators that drop the output voltage to around 13v as soon as the vehicle battery is up to 80% charged.

I've overcome this with a RING RSCDC30 unit

http://www.ringautomotive.com/uk/products/Workshop+Tools/Battery+Maintenance+Tools/SmartChargePro/RSCDC30 which is also a MPPT controller for PV panels.

Initially these units (new design in 2016/7) had problems but RING have a new firmware version available which they installed on mine FOC. It now seems to work well keeping a twin battery leisure system well charged, summer use will confirm this.

Archived