Split charging Alexis accordo

lizken

Good morning,

I have an Accordo,(2017 model)and I can tell you that that when on EHU, only the leisure battery is charged, not the vehicle battery,when driving of course,both are charged.

I have a solar panel fitted with a smart charger that charges both leisure battery and vehicle battery,it is set so 90% of the charge goes to the leisure battery and 10% to the vehicle battery,I have found this works very well,although,at this time of year, a EHU 'top up' may be required(lack of sun and short days.)

Hope this is of some help.

I think lizken’s Accordo may be a 2017 model (Might be worth lizken amending his Profile that currently reads “201+ eiddis”) so (as potus4388 highlights) will have no means as standard to charge its starter-battery when the vehicle is connected to a 230V power supply.

This limitation was mentioned here

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Elddis-Accordo-105-switches-and-battery-matters/46506/#M524206

http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Elddis-battery-charging/38573/

http://forums.motorhomefacts.com/189-elddis-motorhomes/173489-elddiss-accordo-cab-battery-maintainer-ehu-where-put.html

Although earlier Elddis Accordo handbooks failed to advertise this limitation, the latest (2017) version

http://www.elddis.co.uk/documents/Handbooks/2017/2017-Accordo-Handbook.pdf

does refer to it on Page 8-2 as follows:

"AUTOMATIC CHARGING SYSTEM

The battery charger will operate automatically when the motorhome is connected to the mains outlet on a motorhome site.

Note: The charging unit only charges the leisure battery not the vehicle battery...”

The 2017 Elddis Autoquest handbook says the same thing.

............................................................................................................................................

Returning to lizken’s original question

"Does the accord charge the leisure battery when the engine is running?”

As potus4388 gas said above, that SHOULD certainly happen and (also on Page 8-2 of the 2017 Accordo handbook) Elddis advises

"Note: When the vehicle is in transit the engine's alternator will charge both the vehicle and leisure batteries.”

If this is not happening with lizken’s motorhome, there’s a fault (fuse failure?)

bounty hunter

Your posting suggests that you had discussed this issue with lizken before he asked about it here - is that so?

As I mentioned earlier, the 2017 Elddis Accordo handbook provides more comprehensive (and more useful) information about battery-charging than earlier Accordo handbooks.

It’s also the case that a motorcaravanner with technical experience would (as Alanb comments above) think it most peculiar if the standard electrical system of a motorhome like Accordo had been designed so that the vehicle’s alternator did NOT charge both the leisure-battery and starter-battery when the engine was running.

I can’t see how checking the charging system of another 2017 Accordo - rather than lizken’s own motorhome - would help if lizken believes/knows that his Accordo’s leisure battery is not being alternator-charged.

Lizken’s Accordo’s alternator undoubtedly should charge the leisure battery when the motor is running, and it is either doing this or it is not. As you did with the other Accordo, confirming whether charging is taking place should be simple enough.

The OP spoke to the owner of the van I checked and informed her that her leisure battery, like all Eldiss Accordio's, was not being charged from the alternator. I told her not to be so silly as all van leisure batteries are charged from the alternator but I checked her van as she is disabled and was very concerned about flat leisure batteries. The OP also told her that he was going to buy and fit a split charger.

I did speak with OP after checking the van but obviously he didn't believe me but he did say he had a meter at home and would check.

Sorry bountyhunter I did not realise I was speaking to you about Cathy,s van. I didn,t disbelieve you, but needed to check my own van. On arriving back home the battery was fully charged, so I did not need to investigate further. I had heard that Elddi s had cut corners on the charging system but this proudly only applies to EHU/vehicle battery.

Thanks for your help

Ken

Although Elddis might be considered to have ’cut corners’ regarding the motorhome’s starter-battery not being charged when the vehicle is connected to a 230V power supply, this limitation (according to the 2017 Elddis handbooks) currently only applies to the Accordo and Autoquest ranges.

The 2017 handbook for the Elddis Encore motorhome range says

"The battery charger will operate automatically when the motorhome is connected to the mains outlet on a motorhome site.

Note: The charging unit will charge both vehicle and leisure battery.”

Archived