Repairs under warranty

the clampits

We bought our Burstner new in 2015, and during the annual habitation check at the start of October, high damp numbers were recorded at the back of the van. The dealer, Perthshire caravans, diagnosed the fault to be in the area of the rear facing camera, which would need the back panel and other parts needing to be replaced.

They said they reported the problem to the manufacturer for authorisation of repairs, and also for the parts to be forwarded to them. I was later told that Burstner agreed to the repairs.

Its now 10 weeks since the fault was diagnosed, and the dealer told me today that not all the spare parts have been received by them. As such, I suspect there is no real possibility of the van being repaired before the end of January, which will be getting on for 4 months since the fault was found.

I'd be interested if anyone has had a similar experience with Burstner, and if this timescale is to be expected from a high volume manufacturer. Though its just a damp problem, and I can still use the van meantime, I cannot but wonder just how long we'd be without the vehicle if it were accident damage repairs.

Sadly in some cases it does take many months for repairs.

In your case you are so lucky that you can still use the vehicle ;-)

PS. Car production is high volume whereas Motorhomes are incredibly low volume so there are few spares and little slack in the systems.

the clampits - 2017-12-18 11:40 AM

We bought our Burstner new in 2015, and during the annual habitation check at the start of October, high damp numbers were recorded at the back of the van. The dealer, Perthshire caravans, diagnosed the fault to be in the area of the rear facing camera, which would need the back panel and other parts needing to be replaced.

They said they reported the problem to the manufacturer for authorisation of repairs, and also for the parts to be forwarded to them. I was later told that Burstner agreed to the repairs.

Its now 10 weeks since the fault was diagnosed, and the dealer told me today that not all the spare parts have been received by them. As such, I suspect there is no real possibility of the van being repaired before the end of January, which will be getting on for 4 months since the fault was found.

I'd be interested if anyone has had a similar experience with Burstner, and if this timescale is to be expected from a high volume manufacturer. Though its just a damp problem, and I can still use the van meantime, I cannot but wonder just how long we'd be without the vehicle if it were accident damage repairs.

Have you asked the dealer, or Burstner UK, if they can say which parts are missing, and what is causing the delay? It may just be due to a failure in communication over what was sent/received, or it may be because a particular part is out of stock and is only batch produced, so awaiting new production. Burstner used to have a superb reputation for stocking long out of date parts, and your van is only two years old, so I'd be a bit surprised if it is an availability problem. But, suppliers go out of business from time to time, or are changed in favour of others, so it is not impossible.

It's not inconceivable that their workshop is fully booked with non-warranty work and they aren't wanting to fit in a warranty job at this busy time as these tend to pay less well. It would be good, as Brian suggests, to ask for precise detail as to what parts are lacking in order to check that you're not being fobbed-off.

I agree with Brian and Steve928, Burstner are very good at parts supply.

In our experience, if you identify all the parts you need Burstner usually supply the parts quickly. Any not immediately available are usually notified with an expected delivery date.

I suspect the issue is the Dealer either not ordering all the parts correctly, or not wanting to take on the work in a hurry? Either way the Dealer should have been supplied dates for delivery which they should have passed on to you.

It is a bit of a puzzle to me how they know what bits to replace, as the full list won't be known until the inner panel is stripped back and the extent of the damage known.

Yet you seem to be using the vehicle in the mean time suggesting no exploration work has been carried out?

That makes me think the Dealer hasn't yet done anything at all, even as far as ordering?

Ask the dealer exactly what was ordered and when (ask for an individual list as it will help you check afterwards that the parts were indeed replaced) and what parts have arrived.

Also ask what dates did Burstner give as the expected delivery date on the 'missing' parts?

I think the replies you get back will give you a clue as to what is really going on?

Hi, just a word of caution, by continuing to use the van, you may be aggravating the damp issue, and then be faced with a dispute along the lines "you have caused more damage ", which gives them the chance to challenge whether it is warranty or not..

I had a similar problem with my van and Marquis, which was eventually resolved after them "REPAIRING IT IN THEIR WORKSHOPS", but in fact the damp was still present a year later.. eventually in frustration, I tackled the problem myself and traced the damp entry point to the faulty seal of the vent panel behind the fridge.

Marquis manager at the times, told me that the whole nearside rear corner had beenstripped out, and repaired, at a total cost of several thousands of pounds, but it had not found the leak. There was no real evidence of such drastic action, and the leak still persisted until the next checkup.

I bought myself a proper damp test meter and eventually

checked behind the fridge , both above and below the vent grills

An easy thing to fix with a new tube of sealant

tony g3nwl

Thanks folks, interesting replies and lots of advice.

At my age, I'm not wet behind the ears but I have tended to put all my trust into the dealership, expecting them to drive the matter on.

I hadn't thought of contacting Burstner UK until I read your replies, but have now emailed them to get their opinion.

Thanks again for all the advice

aandncaravan - 2017-12-18 4:54 PM

...It is a bit of a puzzle to me how they know what bits to replace, as the full list won't be known until the inner panel is stripped back and the extent of the damage known.

Yet you seem to be using the vehicle in the mean time suggesting no exploration work has been carried out?

That makes me think the Dealer hasn't yet done anything at all, even as far as ordering?...

In Jim’s original posting he said

“...The dealer, Perthshire caravans, diagnosed the fault to be in the area of the rear facing camera, which would need the back panel and other parts needing to be replaced.

They said they reported the problem to the manufacturer for authorisation of repairs, and also for the parts to be forwarded to them. I was later told that Burstner agreed to the repairs...”

It’s very likely that, once repairs get underway, the initial diagnosis will prove to have been incomplete and that more parts than those so far allowed for may need to be obtained. But it’s a real leap into the dark to think that Perthshire Caravans have done nothing to address the damp problem.

Plainly Jim should progress this long delay with Perthshire Caravans. However, despite Burstner’s reputation for timely provision of spares, critical parts (eg. a new rear panel) that Perthshire Caravans knows will be needed when repair work begins may just not be available off Burstner’s shelves.

(Incidentally, what’s with all the question marks?)

Possibly just Allan indicating conjecture, Derek (ahem!) ? :-)

What puzzles me in retrospect is that the cited area of leakage (apparently the rear view camera) reportedly results in the need to replace the entire back panel. Surely the leak can't be that simple, or re-sealing the camera mount and/or cable entry point should cure the leak? Something lost in translation somewhere, perhaps? Even if the joint between roof and back panel were the cause, on the assumption that the back panel is GRP or aluminium, it seems odd that it should need replacing.

Derek Uzzell - 2017-12-19 9:59 AM

aandncaravan - 2017-12-18 4:54 PM

...It is a bit of a puzzle to me how they know what bits to replace, as the full list won't be known until the inner panel is stripped back and the extent of the damage known.

That makes me think the Dealer hasn't yet done anything at all, even as far as ordering?...

In Jim’s original posting he said

“...The dealer, Perthshire caravans, diagnosed the fault to be in the area of the rear facing camera, which would need the back panel and other parts needing to be replaced.

They said they reported the problem to the manufacturer for authorisation of repairs, and also for the parts to be forwarded to them. I was later told that Burstner agreed to the repairs...”

It’s very likely that, once repairs get underway, the initial diagnosis will prove to have been incomplete and that more parts than those so far allowed for may need to be obtained. But it’s a real leap into the dark to think that Perthshire Caravans have done nothing to address the damp problem.

Plainly Jim should progress this long delay with Perthshire Caravans. However, despite Burstner’s reputation for timely provision of spares, critical parts (eg. a new rear panel) that Perthshire Caravans knows will be needed when repair work begins may just not be available off Burstner’s shelves.

(Incidentally, what’s with all the question marks?)

It is obviously conjecture, but Burstner issue an expected delivery date on ordered parts that might have a delay, so the Dealer should know when the parts are expected.

So why hasn't that been relayed to the customer with an expected booking in date?

It is 10 weeks since the work was diagnosed and approved by Burstner. If the Dealer has not been in touch with the customer after three weeks to update them on progress, with parts they ordered, etc.then they are failing the customer.

To not contact the customer at 8 weeks and update them on the exact situation, is IMO, a failing.

Regardless of the parts supply situation, the Dealer should be in regular contact with the customer.

For it to get to 10 weeks and the customer have to contact them is very poor.

To then turn around and give no information to the customer other than 'waiting on parts' without any detail or dates, suggests to me they have forgotten the customer or don't want the work.

Derek Uzzell - 2017-12-19 9:59 AM

But it’s a real leap into the dark to think that Perthshire Caravans have done nothing to address the damp problem

:-D I presume that you've not had the 'pleasure' of dealing with Perthshire Caravans regarding a warranty issue then, Derek?

In order to not have my post deleted I'll leave it at that but personally I find it a very short and well-illuminated leap.

Thirty years in my previous occupation led me to believe that there were no such things as co-incidences, but I may have to reconsider that.

I emailed Burstner last night, detailing the problem and lack of action.

This afternoon I received an email from Perthshire Caravan Centre to say that the parts had all arrived, and I have now booked the van in for the middle of next month for a fortnight of work.

Maybe they were delivered by a man in a red suit, or 3 wise men dropped them off enroute to the middle east, but in anycase, I suspect that without your advice and my timely email to Burstner I'd be no further forward.

Many thanks to the forum stalwarts for the help.

A co-incidence? You be the judge.

the clampits - 2017-12-19 7:05 PM

Thirty years in my previous occupation led me to believe that there were no such things as co-incidences, but I may have to reconsider that.

This afternoon I received an email from Perthshire Caravan Centre to say that the parts had all arrived, and I have now booked the van in for the middle of next month for a fortnight of work.

Maybe they were delivered by a man in a red suit, or 3 wise men dropped them off enroute to the middle east, but in anycase, I suspect that without your advice and my timely email to Burstner I'd be no further forward.

Excellent! A well -placed kick up the ar$e from Burstner to PCC reminding them of their obligations, I'd imagine.. :-D

the clampits - 2017-12-19 7:05 PM

Glad you've now got the ball rolling. I'm afraid that if you want to get things done, you have to be prepared to manage the process yourself. Only once those concerned have proved themselves to be "self starters" can you afford to sit back.

Otherwise, they (and you) will benefit from judicious requests for updates and details of progress. Their temptation is to place their orders, and then just sit back and wait to see what turns up when. Some need more persuading than others that they have a 'phone, and can use it to find out for themselves - and can even pass on the information so gained back to their client.

On that basis we'll thrive on international trade deals post Brexit, right? Oh yes! :-D

Archived