Compressor , and other uses ?

tonyishuk

Have been searching old threads on compressors and sort of settled on a mains powered Heyner 120 psi compressor recommended by Brian.

Than I thought that a compressor with a small tank (6 to 9 litre) might suffice for other small air jobs, as well as pumping up tyres. I came across a 116 psi small compressor with a smaller tank sold for air brushing.

The air brushing would be useful for scenery etc in my model railway layout.

Anyone gone down this route using a large. Airbrush compressor, rather than a small "big" compressor ?

Another thing I was considering was the noise, The smaller compressors range from 60db upwards, most of the Screwfix type small trade "carry about" compressors come in at 94 db plus

Rgds

The current Heyner 230V compressor seems to be this one

http://heynershop.co.uk/compressorspumps/18-maxxair-premium-230v-air-compressor-4028224218007.html

(You’ll note the 90db noise-level figure.)

Quiet air-brush compressors with tanks are available (example here)

https://tinyurl.com/yctv6gho

but I’m doubtful that you’ll find a quiet compressor that’s also capable of handling motorhome tyre pressures.

I've used fridge compressors in the past, very high pressure but very low volume were the ones that I used, mind you they were liberated from defunct domestic fridges or freezers and not purpose made, but they were very quiet running.

Good for cleaning carbs etc in the old days but not much else and they took ages to fill a pressure vessel (recycled 4.5 kg gas bottle) which was very quickly emptied.

Thanks for your replies. I searched the net and ended up with a Silent Type Air Compressor 65DB 600W 9L. by ORAZIO. (Aka Katsu)9 litre tank @ 8bar (116psi)

Arrived next day ! Seeing on the site that it is a twin cylinder so thought it would be a little larger than the mains car inflator. Hmmmm ! It's quiet large ! Should have read the specs more closely !

That said it is very quiet running,(64db) and portable(ish). It does not have a easily adjustable regulator, that's no problem as I have a line regulator, hoses and tyre inflator already.

Not quite what I was expecting but a useful replacement for defunct compressor.

Rgds

Archived