Very slow draining sink.

Zydeco Joe

The sink drain in our 2005 Auto Trail Tracker EKS is so slow draining. Have cleaned out the under sink waste trap and pulled the pipe off at the grey tank and that is clear of any blockage. Have cleaned the pipes as far as I can but the corrugated pipe work has many bends that I cannot get to. Could I dare to use liquid pipe cleaner !!! or use a wire type un blocker ?.Any advice please.

So long as the pipe isn't kinked , baking soda and white distilled vinegar in equal quantities. Pour powder into plughole and slowly add vinegar . it will froth up . Might have to do it a few times depending on blockage. Used it on my van's shower drain, prob build up of hair etc , now runs clear. I used a cup of each , two or three times. Will now do it a couple of times a year .

Hope this helps .

John

Thanks John will have a look around for the baking soda and white vinegar and try it. We are in Spain and today is 3 Kings day a holiday so not sure if shops are shut today. The pipe is as built back in 2005 you just cannot get at some parts.

Thanks

John B-) B-)

aka Zydeco Joe

Might be worth buying a cheap plastic sink plunger, available at most general purpose stores in Spain. We now always carry one in the van and use it when flow is slow.

Alternatively, buy some curtain wire + suitably sized round sink cleaning brush with a diameter slightly larger than the pipe. Put an eye in the end of the curtain wire and attach the handle end of the brush. Feed the curtain wire through the pipe until it comes out at the tank. Then pull the wire and brush through the pipe. Good idea to put a round eye in both ends of the wire to ease initial feeding of the wire. If your water-trap is located mid-way along the pipe run, the cleaning operation will need to be carried out in 2 stages. My water-trap is located just above floor level.

Also, if the flow improves when the cap to the waste water tank is removed - this may indicate a venting problem. Check the vent pipe to the waste tank, assuming it has one. My vent pipe to the kitchen sink is incorporated in the pipe system as it leaves the sink. There is a Y-connector with one pipe going to the sink and the other disappears vertically up the side of the kitchen wall in one corner, hidden by a piece of wooden corner trim.

Definately check the waste tank venting holes. My Swift has a row of tiny holes along the front upper edge. Crawling under the vehicle I could just see them. The apertures are no bigger than a match stick but once poked through the flow from the sink was better although not brilliant. A quick plunge with one of those sink plungers gets it flowing nicely. The drain pipes are prone to air blocks. Alternatively a quick swirl with a finger to start a whirlpool also works.

Dealer told me that part of the reason the sinks are slow to drain is because of the corrugated pipe itself. Seems the corrugations trap the waste and fat and cause it all to slow down. He suggested changing the pipe to a larger diameter smooth bore, but I never did get round to it

Archived