Connecting a new 120w flexible Solar Panel to existing 80w older panel??

wakeyjamie

Hi everyone,

I have just bought a second hand Globecar Globescout. The previous owner had fitted an old 80w panel on the roof into a ePever 20a MPPT controller inside the van. I am planning on doing a long trip to Kazakhstan, Russia and Mongolia so need to be as self sufficient as possible. So I want to increase the solar wattage to 200w. So my question is, should i completely remove the older panel and buy two new 100w flexible panels or would it be OK to buy one and connect it in parallel to the current 80w panel.

Also, does anyone know if flexible panels are any less efficient than fixed aluminium.

many thanks for all your help

Jamie

AFAIK flexible panels which are stuck on are less efficient because they lack an air gap underneath, which is desireable for cooling.

AFAIK solar panels are usually connected in series, so a mismatch between types is not desireable.

If I wanted reliability and efficiency for a special trip I would dump the old 80w panel and buy two good quality 100w panels - and a modern regulator too.

Good luck

Fixed Solar Panels use Glass whereas the flexibles use plastic of some sort.

While the plastic might only slightly limit light transmission, you will have seen how clear plastic discolours and becomes opaque over time.

You also need to ensure no water can get trapped under a flexible as when it freezes it expands and may damage the panel.

If you fit a flexible panel, suggest you fix it in such a way it can be easily removed later.

Whether or not you can link two Solar panels will depend on how they are made and where/if they have blocking Diodes fitted to prevent the higher voltage panel turning the other into a Heater.

The most efficient way of connecting them would be to use the new 100w panel with it's own Solar Regulator. Something better than the ePever and designed for a Motorhome, preferable a dual unit that will also charge the starter battery?

See our Solar Power web pages : http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.uk/solar-panels.php

Panels with a similar voltage, but different current ratings should be connected in PARALLEL. Panels with a similar current rating, but different voltages should be connected in series.

To do the series connection, you will require an MPPT regulator (as you have) - an old skool PWM regulator will dissipate a lot of power as heat with a series connection.

If the voltage and current is similar, you may find that they offer more power in summer connected in parallel, and in winter, offer more power when connected in series.

Flexi panels are better than they used to be, but when they get hot, they are less efficient. Hopefully you will be able to connect these in parallel - that way, if the flexi panel does start to produce less juice, its built in diodes will ensure that it does not suck juice from the existing panel. If you connect these in series and the flexi panel under performs then the max current of the pair of panels (known as a 'string' in solar terms) will be hampered - eg the flexi panel will prevent the existing panel from performing at its best.

My advise: look at label on read of existing panel, note down short circuit current and open circuit voltage. Find a flexi panel with the same VOLTAGE and wire them in parallel.

Nigel

I’ve fitted two 100 watt flexible panels to my Globecar Campscout roof with special brackets off eBay, also as the Globecar roof has ridges I’ve put a spot of sikaflex sealant where thepanels touch.

This makes them more rigid and you also get airflow underneath the panels.

I’ve also fitted the Schaudt MPP LRM 1218 controller that wires straight into the EBL electroblock.

John.

Thanks John,

I had also seen those exact mounts on ebay and was going to purchase them tomorrow. They look great. I had also read somewhere else that someone put a curtain rail running down the middle to increase the air-gap and also stop rainwater collecting. Did you attach the mounts in the 'valleys' or the ridges or the 'peaks of the Campscout roof

Which adhesive / sealant did you use. I have read that Sikaflex 512 and SIkaflex EBT are both good, but have also heard a lot about Soudal Fix All and Everbuild Stixall. Whch would anyone recommend.

I think I am going to take off the old 80w panel and start again. I need this system to be as good and reliable as possible as we are going to be a long way from the nearest hookup.

Thanks everyone. You are all amazing!!!!

Jamie

Archived