How to Empty a Fuel Tank?

harryajh

We're in the process of part-exchanging our Autotrail Cheyenne 234L 2.8 2001 for a newer Motorhome BUT it still has a full tank of fuel which we'd obviously like to keep.

I've tried a syphon tube but it stops about a metre in before touching any Diesel. Does anyone know if that's because of maybe an anti-syphon device? the pipe curling up and not going through a smaller aperture? or some other reason?

I know chances are, it's a gonna, but worth asking as it's worth about £80 :-(

thanks guys

I tried to syphon fuel out of my Ducato tank after misfueling it with petrol but failed.  I tried to use a length of 15mm garden hose.

There are two ways of getting fuel out.  One is a suction hose which is incapable of flattening (within the fuel-filled tank) and has a terminal section which is weighted, such as a length of flexible stainless steel tubing.  That sort of hose will go into the tank and will cope with a suction pump.  (Sucking on the top end of the hose to extract fuel by establishing a syphon is difficult and risky!)

The second way is to use the vehicle's lift pump.  Disconnect the fuel line as it enters the fuel filter, attach a suitable extension hose to the end leading to your fuel container (big enough to hold nearly 70 litres!) and then, within the fuse box, remove the cable from the fuel pump terminal and attach a short length of cable and connect to a permanent live source to energise the fuel pump.  It will take about 20 minutes running the pump to empty the tank.

Do you know how much you are worth to £80?  If not let it go; the dealer is unlikely to syphon fuel out of the tank either, so you are giving it to the next owner.

Hi, I would be trying to negotiate a tankful of fuel as part of the changeover

Must be easier than mucking around trying to cobble togrther some means of getting it out of your existing vehicle

you will of course need to take your new vehicle for a test drive before signing the deal.

tonyg3nwl

ok as i remember it there is a trap door in the floor between the front seats not the battery one the small one if you lift this you will see an some fuel pipes going to the fuel pump which is in the tank so your choices are now in front of you do you undo the bolts/screws and lift enough to poke a pipe in or disconnect and try from there or go and have a coffee and forget it this is assuming your ducato is a x250/290 if not i dont have a clue :-D note to self read the question properly *-)

Archived